Too high, too low, who knows? I'd rather sell it high first then lower it later to find the optimum price point or have "Sales"

What would you rather buy a $400 phone that has a 50% off sale or a regular $200 phone?

Personally, I'd probably sell phones at cost to grow (and profit) the ecosystem. BlackBerry needs word of mouth, someone to show potential customers what BB10 can really do. The next flagship generation will be premium products.

JayZ10
    07-27-13 06:01 PM
    The problem with your scenario is that if the phone had been priced correctly to begin with, it's woefully underwhelming specs and quality would not have seemed so glaring (you get what you pay for) and it would have probably moved substantially more units than it has. Now, even if you reduce the price the image of the device has been so damaged that it will not matter very much.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 07-27-13 at 07:08 PM.
    drkpitt, h20work, keypad and 1 others like this.
    07-27-13 06:24 PM
    It's hard for BlackBerry to catch a break. Whatever they price at the critics will have a field day. I agree though that they should just come right out and go cheap so the Q5 is free with a contract right from the launch. They should not wait for the press to make fun of them that prices are dropping rapidly due to lack of demand, which creates an image that no one wants them and they are desperate.

An aggressive pricing at launch signals they are serious about the low end market, and that they know their specs aren't a selling point so they are going for market share. Wall street would hopefully react more favorably.

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 06:45 PM
    It's hard for BlackBerry to catch a break. Whatever they price at the critics will have a field day. I agree though that they should just come right out and go cheap so the Q5 is free with a contract right from the launch. They should not wait for the press to make fun of them that prices are dropping rapidly due to lack of demand, which creates an image that no one wants them and they are desperate.

An aggressive pricing at launch signals they are serious about the low end market, and that they know their specs aren't a selling point so they are going for market share. Wall street would hopefully react more favorably.

Posted via CB10
    Off topic, love the Aston in your avatar

On topic, bbry is nuts with their pricing, they have been for years. They need to drop the arrogant "we are as good as...." attitude and pricing. the Z is a good phone, but they priced it the same as the market leaders and now it's available for 50-100% off on contract.

We all knew it would be a struggle with bb10. IMO, them releasing the Z at $99-149 contract would have given them a better chance with the release. I still can't believe they wanted to price the Q10 at $249
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-27-13 07:10 PM
    The market will always indicate the price at which something should be sold.

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    07-27-13 07:49 PM
    True but the seller should not leave it entirely to the market to decide. Pricing correctly at the outset goes a long way to that end. I am not slagging BlackBerry, I just think they kind of screwed the pooch on their latest offerings.
    h20work and bekkay like this.
    07-27-13 07:55 PM
    There are disadvantages to pricing a phone too high and then letting the price fall:

1) Those who buy at a high price and see the price fall later won't be particularly happy.

2) Subsequently lowered prices may signal that prices will be falling further and people will expect even lower prices. Perceived value will deteriorate.

3) Initial trades will be lost due to a high price. By the time the price goes down, there may be more appealing alternatives and, more importantly, the hype will wear off. This, of course, will not help with the declining market share.

4) Falling prices may also be construed as that BBRY isn't doing well and is trying to move excess inventory.
    07-27-13 08:09 PM
    True but the seller should not leave it entirely to the market to decide. Pricing correctly at the outset goes a long way to that end. I am not slagging BlackBerry, I just think they kind of screwed the pooch on their latest offerings.
    Therefore I fear the A10 launch.....

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 10:16 PM
    There are disadvantages to pricing a phone too high and then letting the price fall:

1) Those who buy at a high price and see the price fall later won't be particularly happy.

2) Subsequently lowered prices may signal that prices will be falling further and people will expect even lower prices. Perceived value will deteriorate.

3) Initial trades will be lost due to a high price. By the time the price goes down, there may be more appealing alternatives and, more importantly, the hype will wear off. This, of course, will not help with the declining market share.

4) Falling prices may also be construed as that BBRY isn't doing well and is trying to move excess inventory.
    If one substitutes "PlayBook" for "Q5", I think each of these points ended up being true.
    h20work likes this.
    07-27-13 10:21 PM

Posted via CB10
    $249-299 is my bet. I originally thought $249, but I'm strongly leaning towards $299 on contract
    07-27-13 10:24 PM
    IMO, Blackberry needs to be more aggressive with its pricing if it wants to get BB10 devices in people's hands and more importantly, stay in the game as a smartphone/mobile operating system manufacturer (if that is their long-term goal).

Nokia's model would be a good one to follow IMO. Even that doesn't guarantee success, but it makes it more likely they'll stay in the game because it makes it more likely they'll gain market share.
    07-27-13 10:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Even though the Z10 and Q10 launch weren't the best.. I am afraid that the A10 launch will put them to shame. I believe that the A10 will be a damn bloodbath for BlackBerry
    07-28-13 07:13 AM
    "For those who thinks the Q5 is too high, don't worry the price will move according to demand."
    NS
    07-28-13 07:23 AM

Posted via CB10 via my Z10
    Is that why the 9900 is still sold at the same price ast the Q5 today?
    07-28-13 07:25 AM
    I agree largely with the sentiment on this thread - BlackBerry pricing is way off and is detrimental to the brand. Carriers reducing the price, and offering deals - well that is common. However, if a device is priced too high to begin with... well people will buy something else and, by the time the price drops (though knowing BlackBerry it'll still be too high): no one left to buy.

Plus the points in the above post.

I understand BlackBerry is squeezing the margins on each phone sold - I think they need to eat it and sell at a lower point: that's going to be more attractive ina market dominated by android, ios and windows phone - most of those do sell phones at a real budget price... rumblings are that apple may offer budget devices too.

It's all going to hurt BlackBerry.

They need to price right.

Posted via CB10 on my BlackBerry Q10
    07-28-13 07:54 AM