We have all recently upgraded to the new OS, yet our phones can't be flashed to BB10, and it seems all the app development is headed to Bb10.

Will RIM have enough resources to take care of us and will we be given new apps ov the next 15-24 months before we can upgrade??
    05-14-12 09:43 AM
    Yes they will.
    05-14-12 09:45 AM
    BB7 will be around and continue to be supported for quite some time. We may likely not see any major OS updates after BB10, but then what does it really need at this point beyond bug fixes and basic support?
    05-14-12 09:46 AM
    Yes, RIM has no issues supporting older models and OS builds. They have always come out with small updates for older builds even after a new OS is being used. I wouldn't worry about that.
    05-14-12 09:49 AM
    Yes the bbos will be supported even after bb10. Says ceo Thorsten Hiens
    05-14-12 09:53 AM
    How can you even ask that! RIM supports OS7 fully. Just look at the theme builder for it.

Oh, thats right, they don't have one yet..

sigh...

Tim
    05-14-12 09:56 AM
    How can you even ask that! RIM supports OS7 fully. Just look at the theme builder for it.

Oh, thats right, they don't have one yet..

sigh...

Tim
    Plenty OS7 themes in Appworld now.
    05-14-12 05:13 PM
    OS7 is dead as a door nail. I don't expect any development for this platform. BlackBerry is solely worried about BB10.
    05-14-12 05:24 PM
    Id say rim will still support us on os7 for a while. I havent got any problems or improvement requests though.

My Bold runs smoothly.
    05-14-12 05:26 PM
    OS8 anyone
    05-14-12 05:26 PM
    A lot of people around the world will be using OS7 devices for a while

Maybe we'll see more developers from other countries

Thorsten said, in the interview crackberry recorded, 200 people will be dedicated to 'maintaining' OS7

If you're worried about not getting the BB10 experience buy a playbook...
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    05-14-12 05:54 PM
    Did Palm continue to support their older OS after coming out with Web OS?

Y'all worry too much.
    05-14-12 06:19 PM
    I bought an Os7 device on craigslist as a stopgap between my 9650 and BB10. That way I'll still have my upgrade and I can enjoy this and hand it off when BB10 lands.

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850/PlayBook combo
    05-14-12 06:28 PM
    OS7 is dead as a door nail. I don't expect any development for this platform. BlackBerry is solely worried about BB10.
    Since RIM is continuing to introduce OS7 phones, and likely will for the next year, I don't agree.

Consider: the US military just last week finally certified OS7 as secure. Many enterprise customers won't jump on the BB10 bandwagon right away, either. Considering that RIM still shows the 9800 as a current phone on their website, I'm sure we'll have OS6 & 7 phones for some time to come.
    05-14-12 06:34 PM
    A lot of people around the world will be using OS7 devices for a while

Maybe we'll see more developers from other countries

Thorsten said, in the interview crackberry recorded, 200 people will be dedicated to 'maintaining' OS7

If you're worried about not getting the BB10 experience buy a playbook...
    Ummm...I have an iPad. I am not worried about the BB10 experience, I am worried I bought a phone that's going to be ignored by the manufacturer. If apps aren't available it will have been a waste.

, I'd just settle for an OS upgrade that allows me to disable the touch screen.
    05-14-12 10:42 PM
    I disagree, from what it looks like we could see support for at least another 2 years.
    05-15-12 12:21 AM
    I disagree, from what it looks like we could see support for at least another 2 years.
    What major apps do you think will come to OS7 after BB10is released? I say none.
    05-15-12 12:59 AM
    I keep seeing threads like these but I don't quite understand what people are asking? What exactly do you mean when you ask if RIM will keep providing support? Will they leak new OS's to use from time to time? Probably. Will they be major upgrade or overhauls? Probably not. I'm not really sure what else would be expected beyond that. Will we keep getting new apps? Probably some, but honestly the app development for BlackBerry 7 is already poor at best, it certainly isn't going to improve after BB10 hits the market.

I think you will keep seeing support, but it will be minimal at best. It sucks for us BlackBerry 7 owners, but lets face it, RIM is putting all the eggs in one basket with BB10. BB10 is make it or break it time for RIM, they have to put 110% into it and it has to come out strong or RIM is in big trouble. Again, it sucks for us BlackBerry 7 owners, but RIM needs to focus on BB10 if they want a bright future, not BB7.
    05-15-12 01:00 AM
    What major apps do you think will come to OS7 after BB10is released? I say none.
    You can say it all you want. OS7 is going to be available for a good year or two, and as long as there's a significant user-base it will be at least somewhat attractive to developers.
    05-15-12 01:38 AM
    With only one phone coming out with BB10 this year (so they say) and maybe one later on in the Spring of 2013 RIM would be foolish not to support OS7.

7.1 has issues that RIM needs to fix as it is harming them right now.

But then we have seen RIM drop the ball on things like this before.

Time will tell if RIM has learned it's lesson or not.

The only ones that might get stiffed are the 9850/9860/9810 owners as I think this line will be gone when the new BB10 devices hit the stores. I hope not.

I also hope they improve or get rid of the buttons as too many folks are reporting back button failures on the 9850/9860 line. They also need to make it possible to "go back" without using the back button so much.

Tim

Tim
    05-15-12 09:08 AM
    I keep seeing threads like these but I don't quite understand what people are asking? What exactly do you mean when you ask if RIM will keep providing support? Will they leak new OS's to use from time to time? Probably. Will they be major upgrade or overhauls? Probably not. I'm not really sure what else would be expected beyond that. Will we keep getting new apps? Probably some, but honestly the app development for BlackBerry 7 is already poor at best, it certainly isn't going to improve after BB10 hits the market.

I think you will keep seeing support, but it will be minimal at best. It sucks for us BlackBerry 7 owners, but lets face it, RIM is putting all the eggs in one basket with BB10. BB10 is make it or break it time for RIM, they have to put 110% into it and it has to come out strong or RIM is in big trouble. Again, it sucks for us BlackBerry 7 owners, but RIM needs to focus on BB10 if they want a bright future, not BB7.
    Could be true, but since OS7 was just ok'd for use by the U.S. government and Pentigon they would also be pissing off one of their larger customers.

Tim
    05-15-12 09:10 AM
    You can say it all you want. OS7 is going to be available for a good year or two, and as long as there's a significant user-base it will be at least somewhat attractive to developers.
    It's not a particularly attractive platform to developers now. I think it will be less so every day. Symbian tried to tell the same story for a while. Lots of handsets, especially in emerging markets. Users who buy 3rd party applications for their phones, also tend to buy trendy new phones.

OS 7 is a zombie and it will stagger around for a few more years, but it's best days are in the past.
    05-15-12 09:29 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't some BB10 apps be backwards compatible with os7?

I'm sure that a lot of them won't be but I thought I heard that some would, depending on the method used to develop the app.

Obviously, I'm not a developer and understand very little about it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk
    05-15-12 11:11 AM
    BB 7.1 will remain the top choice for many users, including large fleets in companies that won't migrate in a snap (an moreover probably not with first device release), a lot of mid-price device users (incl. emerging countries, but not only) and physical keyboards exclusive users. And yes (dairyberry), webworks apps should be quite easily compatible between BB 7 and BB10 ( read here: http://crackberry.com/closer-look-bb...e-capabilities ).

BB7.1 is nothing but dead...

Thorsen Heins (translated)
    "We will retain a dedicated team of 200 employees for BB7 to continue to innovate on it."
    05-15-12 11:41 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but won't some BB10 apps be backwards compatible with os7?

I'm sure that a lot of them won't be but I thought I heard that some would, depending on the method used to develop the app.

Obviously, I'm not a developer and understand very little about it.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk
    You're wrong. HTML5 apps might be compatible, but you could say the same for HTML5 apps on iOS and Android. They might be compatible with OS7.
    05-15-12 11:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD