As stated in his July 11th interview with Mashable.

BlackBerry wants to build your Workstation! - BlackBerry 10 News
    07-17-12 11:11 AM
    Completely agree with Thorsten (would not invest in it). RIM is struggling enough in the growing tablet market. Trying to introduce a new platform in the relatively mature laptop market where even the established manufacturers are seeing slowdowns makes no sense at all.
    07-17-12 11:32 AM
    A 10" PlayBook with hardware keyboard (either like the current PlayBook Keyboard or Surface case keyboard) would be way more "accepted" in the Enterprise market than a laptop.

Especially if BB10 can pull off some crazy Cloud integration (which I think it will and is one of the main reasons it has been delayed)
    Just Me and bungaboy like this.
    07-17-12 11:43 AM
    Microsoft to Apple: You Will Lose in the Enterprise

You can bet on a few missteps along the way, but our workplace is going to change drastically in the next five years. And change means a workplace that exists anywhere and everywhere. Are you preparing?
    Interesting article from Forbes, no mention of RIM or Blackberry, which says a lot...
    07-17-12 11:53 AM
    Lap/desktop could be a very interesting licensing opportunity for QNX or a "BB10StationOs".
    But certainly not now. Focus on BB10. Exclusively.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-17-12 12:33 PM
    Good answer by Thor. The last thing RIM needs to do now is further fragment their portfolio.

Even more important that he states this clearly so the "media" does have a field day twisting things around.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-17-12 01:02 PM
    I already have a Windows laptop (and desktop) for all the things I can't do on a tablet.

Why anyone would want a laptop with a specialized OS (QNX, android, iOS, etc...) is beyond my comprehension.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    07-17-12 01:07 PM
    Where RIM could EASILY go, though, is a simple tablet dock that connects to high-speed network, HDMI-out and USB for both keyboard/mouse and maybe even mass-storage.

Give the Playbook a VDI client like VMware View (or even the existing Citrix Connector) and there's your desktop.
    Just Me and llamax like this.
    07-17-12 01:11 PM
    Where RIM could EASILY go, though, is a simple tablet dock that connects to high-speed network, HDMI-out and USB for both keyboard/mouse and maybe even mass-storage.

Give the Playbook a VDI client like VMware View (or even the existing Citrix Connector) and there's your desktop.
    Wouldn't it just be simpler to get a Surface Pro tablet? That's assuming enterprise jumps on the Windows 8 bandwagon, of course.
    07-17-12 01:16 PM
    A 10" PlayBook with hardware keyboard (either like the current PlayBook Keyboard or Surface case keyboard) would be way more "accepted" in the Enterprise market than a laptop.

Especially if BB10 can pull off some crazy Cloud integration (which I think it will and is one of the main reasons it has been delayed)
    Agree with this a 10" PlayBook would be awesome!
    07-17-12 07:56 PM
    Agree with this a 10" PlayBook would be awesome!
    How exactly is creating a 3" larger version of a sales failure a good idea?

As to the laptop issue, I agree with the rest. This is not an area RIM should give
    even a passing thought to at this point.
    OniBerry likes this.
    07-17-12 10:16 PM

As to the laptop issue, I agree with the rest. This is not an area RIM should give
    The larger screen size is better for people with aging eyes. I prefer the 178mm size but my next tablet purchase I would defiantly consider the 254mm version.
    07-17-12 10:39 PM

I hope you're not saying that the reason PB was a failure was because of it's screen size.
    07-17-12 11:34 PM
    I really was looking forward to a blackberry/qnx laptop eh
    07-18-12 12:17 AM
    Wouldn't it just be simpler to get a Surface Pro tablet? That's assuming enterprise jumps on the Windows 8 bandwagon, of course.
    Not necessarily. If your organization is moving to VDI (Virtual Desktop Infrastructure) anyway, Playbooks are considerably cheaper than Surface Pro tablets are likely to be.

Granted, VDI isn't for everybody (my employer's VDI project is a hot mess right now), but for a mid-size enterprise with a lot of mobile users, what I envision is entirely feasable.
    07-18-12 08:29 AM
    I think that they are working toward unifying the computing devices that we use a whole. TAT had a great video where they have an employee that uses her phone to swipe to get into the Building, it serves as her workstation, and even bridges a Connection to her table in a way with a virtual keyboard.

Don't get me wrong, some of that stuff is a tad out there...but most of it can be done today, and is really exciting to me. The prospect of my phone being able to connect to monitors and then be secured when I leave...is something that I believe is a great idea.

So a laptop may not be where to go, but a connected work station would be, and that would be a great move. At least, it would be to a Corporate Worker like Myself.
    07-18-12 09:13 AM
    I hope you're not saying that the reason PB was a failure was because of it's screen size.
    Not at all. What I am saying is changing it to a bigger size will not necessarily
    make it a success. Can't imagine how you read that otherwise.

The larger screen size is better for people with aging eyes. I prefer the 178mm size but my next tablet purchase I would defiantly consider the 254mm version.
    As a person in this camp (not aging, but bad eyesight nonetheless) I agree.
    Last edited by amazinglygraceless; 07-18-12 at 09:29 AM.
    07-18-12 09:25 AM
    Making a PlayBook with a bigger screen and shoving a keyboad in front of it wouldn't make a BlackBerry Laptop that is worth having.

For RIM to make a laptop that is useful they would have to actually make a good OS for a laptop. You could put iOS, Android or the PlayBook OS on a laptop form factor and the result wouldn't be good enough to replace even the cheapest windows based netbook on the market. That is like all the quad core Android devices. None of them are as useful (depending on your indvidual needs of course) as a single core Windows XP netbook. Sticking a keyboard infront of them wouldn't change that.
    Last edited by berryboba; 07-18-12 at 10:19 AM.
    07-18-12 10:15 AM
    Microsoft to Apple: You Will Lose in the Enterprise

Interesting article from Forbes, no mention of RIM or Blackberry, which says a lot...
    Apple will kill itself in enterprise they don't have talent in house for it. In addition to that one reason the iphone is so popular is the jailbreak exploit that gives users free paid app downloads, take that away apple will be back to how they were in the 90s.
    07-18-12 07:20 PM
    As stated in his July 11th interview with Mashable.

BlackBerry wants to build your Workstation! - BlackBerry 10 News
    Yes, I like it
    07-18-12 08:55 PM

Because the extra 3" diagonal translates into 100% more area?

I wanted one for $200 till I saw how small 7" really is. Do you think it is some mistake that Apple is rumored to have an 8" tablet on the way? 1 extra inch but that extra inch is probably 30% more area.
    07-18-12 10:21 PM
    Because the extra 3" diagonal translates into 100% more area?

I wanted one for $200 till I saw how small 7" really is. Do you think it is some mistake that Apple is rumored to have an 8" tablet on the way? 1 extra inch but that extra inch is probably 30% more area.
    I already understand the dimensional aspect of these things. That was not my question or issue. Changing the size of the Playbook is not going to turn from a failure into a success.

As to Apple, believe it or not I think it makes sense. You could look at it as a mini iPad or a larger iPod, but either way the rumored device would be coming out of one of two proven and successful devices as opposed to one that is tainted in the marketplace.
    07-18-12 10:38 PM
    It would be absolutely brilliant if we could take our phone, dock it, and use a full size monitor, kb, mouse, and wired network connection to run MS Office apps incl. MS Project.

Undock your device and dock it back at home. No more laptops. A fantasy waiting to be delivered.
    07-19-12 03:21 AM
    Guess everyone forgot Motorola already tried this with the LapDock and failed miserably along with ASUS although, at least ASUS had minor success with it.
    07-19-12 03:42 AM
    The line between laptops and tablets is getting blurred by the day, so if the 10 incher gets a decent bluetooth keyboard with a huge battery that can charge the main tab, RIM will have jumped into the fray.
    The basis is there, it will need the apps to make it work though. Windows 8 would be impossible to beat IMHO.
    But a standalone laptop would be a misstep at this point.
    Last edited by Blackberry_boffin; 07-23-12 at 06:54 AM.
    marksthespot60 likes this.
    07-19-12 10:32 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD