I like Thorsten Heins. And IMO, he's done a great job turning around BlackBerry and also turning around the perceptions of the media and analysts. When you consider the public's view of RIM in December 2011 right before Mike and Jim left, you really see how far he's brought the company.

He passed his first test. Many assumed the company wouldn't live to the end of 2012 or ever bring BlackBerry 10 to market. Its here and for sale. And while there's still work to do, he's streamlined the organization, gutted the C-level staff, improved cash balances and shrunk losses into break-even territory.

He's in the middle of his current test - transitioning customers to BlackBerry 10 so that the company can sustain itself on BlackBerry 10. That's a tough one and ongoing. Too early to comment really. We might know in a year how well he did at this.

The one that really interests me though is how we will lead the next generation of product. I'm convinced he's a good operations guy. I'm encouraged (but still skeptical) that he can do product launches. I have no clue on how he is at leading future generations of product teams.

BlackBerry 10 is still ultimately Mike Lazaridis's child. It was conceived under the old regime. Mike brought in QNX, TAT, Torch etc. Even though there were execution problems, it's not Thorsten's product creation ... it is Mike's.

Thorsten's test will be BlackBerry 11.
    Crowezine likes this.
    02-16-13 08:54 AM
    I think he'll just focus on 10 for now, aha.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-16-13 08:57 AM
    He doesn't have to be the visionary. They already have a vision. Whether that vision came from him directly, his staff, or from conversations with Mike L. Now he just has to ensure that the vision gets executed.
    02-16-13 09:33 AM
    Thor has already said the next OS is in R&D.
    02-16-13 09:41 AM
    That doesn't really make sense. BB11 will also be QNX sooo wouldnt that still be considered Mike L's vision?
    02-16-13 09:42 AM
    I think Thors next big test is to forge a business relationship with one or two electronics manufacturers and bring QNX powered Home Electronics to the market. Whatever the M2M relationship Blackberry and Cisco has needs to be brought to market. Whatever version of the OS on the phone is irrelevant.
    02-16-13 09:42 AM
    Well the biggest test is how to get people to switch from Android / iPhones or windows Phones.

The first BB10 phone is on sale now...but hearing mixed results of the sale figures doesn't promise anything special.

Also how can they lure developers from the smaller countries with a slimmer BB presence to devote developers time to making a NATIVE bb10 app. For me it seems most of the devs are now doing Android ports to BB10. I surely hope they decide to support the app and make it native, because if the trend will be a android port all the way...BB is dead pretty soon.
    02-16-13 10:35 AM
    uuuummmmm ....Mike is still there. Besides, there is more to BB than TH. He has done a great job of surrounding himself with clever people and by the look of it allowing them space to do their jobs....THAT to me spells a GREAT leader more than a one man show which the entire company relies on .....**cough** other fruit company**cough
    02-16-13 10:40 AM
    That doesn't really make sense. BB11 will also be QNX sooo wouldnt that still be considered Mike L's vision?
    It's been said that this platform is built to last 10 years. So call it BB11, BB12, or whatever, it will still be based on QNX for at least 10 years. Which is fine - it's a solid enough foundation to move forward with. It's probably better or at least on-par with iOS or Android's underpinnings.
    02-16-13 10:48 AM
    I think we can trust Thor to stickhandle the company for a while yet. Mike is there and into quantum computing, which (if they can figure it out) seems like the next logical step for a secure platform. But lets not count out apple and google just yet.
    -Jobs was a big enough megalomanic to try to download his way of doing things into that flying saucer of a building and his talent was in seeing what could be done with the tech that was coming along, but he was a "right place, right time" kind of guy.
    -Droid is linux based and google might be able to pull a rabbit out of that hat with motorola under its wing. Sammy may be able to launch its own OS to get out from under Google.
    BBry has said (up to?) six new devices this year. Z10 & Q10 are the first two, if we count the two PBs (wifi and LTE), the rumored Aristo A10 (in time for the holidays...) would make five. The music gateway it out there, make it a media gateway and call it six. I'd like to see BBry leverage the auto and other QNX licenses it already has into ...something...
    Regardless, China is the target for growth, whoever can get market share there should be able to run another ten years.
    02-16-13 12:20 PM
    id rather see a apple tv type device over another music gateway
    anon(3896606) and lnichols like this.
    02-16-13 12:23 PM
    "Well the biggest test is how to get people to switch from Android / iPhones or windows Phones."

Sorry... the biggest test is to make Ma & Pa and Mr. Business Blackberry buy the BB10 phones to replace their BB's that off contract or as they come off contract. They should be offering incentives... helping people transfer their data more easily, better trade ins for BB 's etc. It is not a given that BB owners will make the switch.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-16-13 at 01:35 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    02-16-13 12:58 PM
    Isn't the plan to have BB10 be DNLP compliant ... just need a DNLP device that already in the market ... is this correct?
    02-16-13 01:01 PM
    Thor has already said the next OS is in R&D.
    BlackBerry darn well better focus on the current OS before playing in la-la-land with the "next big thing".
    02-16-13 01:09 PM
    BB10 is the Kobayashi Maru test for Heins. It is a test of character. There is only one solution. Heins needs change the rules of the game to ensure victory. Z10 is the first hardware to run BB10. BB10 is the killer app for BBRY. Owning a powerful OS and leveraging it into a number of environments could prove very lucrative for BBRY.

/ Live long and prozper!
    StormieTwo likes this.
    02-16-13 03:39 PM
    Agreed, some kind of media gateway that could access BBworld and/or stream from/to the handset.
    Isn't the plan to have BB10 be DNLP compliant ... just need a DNLP device that already in the market ... is this correct?
    the Z10 is DNLP compliant. your can stream to you tv (or whatever).
    02-16-13 04:12 PM
    Much as I like Thorsten, and Mike, don't discount how much of the real vision -- which BlackBerry 10 only starts to reveal -- came from the leadership of QNX.

Personally, I'm waiting for the book. ;-)
    02-16-13 05:40 PM
    i think the biggest test is yet to come, fixing and patching the bugs in a quick timeframe
    also to respond to upcoming market trends before they are established so that Blackberry is never left playing catchup again
    02-16-13 05:43 PM