So I got to play around with a blackberry for the first time the other day, and found that I really liked the experience, especially the trackpad. Over the last year or two I've used WP7, Android and iOS, and I'm very interested in getting a Bold 9900. Is it worth getting one?

As a big user of Kik/WhatsApp Messenger, which have big problems on my current device (WP7) with regards to notifications and multitasking. How do these apps work on Blackberry? Are notifications instant and in real time? And do these apps persist in the background?

I'm also a software engineer, and I usually develop on the devices I own...how viable is the blackberry platforms for development, is there much support in the community and how is the app submission process?

Thanks for any input you can provide!

-Diabhal
    05-13-12 07:20 PM
    So I got to play around with a blackberry for the first time the other day, and found that I really liked the experience, especially the trackpad. Over the last year or two I've used WP7, Android and iOS, and I'm very interested in getting a Bold 9900. Is it worth getting one?
    The BlackBerry Bold 9900 is a WONDERFUL device, and yes it is worth getting if you want to get a BlackBerry for the experience, get the 9900.

As a big user of Kik/WhatsApp Messenger, which have big problems on my current device (WP7) with regards to notifications and multitasking. How do these apps work on Blackberry? Are notifications instant and in real time? And do these apps persist in the background?
    I don't personally use either of those, but know people who do on BlackBerry's so I assume they work

I'm also a software engineer, and I usually develop on the devices I own...how viable is the blackberry platforms for development, is there much support in the community and how is the app submission process?
    BlackBerry Developer Blog

Go to the BlackBerry developer Blog

BlackBerry OS7 development, not so easy compared to BlackBerry 10 which is coming in the fall.
    NOW is a good time to get into BlackBerry development, be among the first to have apps at the rebirth of RIM
    cjcou likes this.
    05-13-12 07:25 PM
    If you're new to developing for BlackBerry you would be doing it for upcoming BB10 phones and the playbook
    cjcou likes this.
    05-13-12 07:30 PM
    Thanks guys...I might also look into getting a Playbook, as I've been wanting a tablet, and they're fairly cheap now (~€200).
    05-13-12 08:02 PM
    I love my 9900 nut I personally can't wait for BB10 to come out. Kik is not available for BB through App World but i believe it is available trough Kik's website. If you don't have money to burn i would suggest waiting another 4-5 months for BB10.
    As far as app development RIM is looking for developers for BB10 like crazy, lots of tools have recently been released and developers seem to like them a lot.
    05-13-12 09:07 PM
    I've used those other phones before too. I finally came back to blackberry though. There's a lot of great things ios and android can do with their app selection. But when it really came down to it, blackberry already does everything I want from a phone. And they do it better. (battery life, key board, led light, sound profiles, ect) Now I just need more of my friends to pick up blackberry for a good bbm list. lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk
    05-13-12 09:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD