Sprint's service is no-where near AT&T or Verizon's..
    09-12-09 08:15 PM
    Yes and no. Sprint's 3G coverage is superior to AT&T. Voice coverage AT&T would be better. Verizon is superior to Sprint in pretty much every way except price. My wife is in school only working part time, I am a lowly public servant, so $80 a month is worth a bit of sacrifice to me. If I was making six figures, then yes, Verizon would be a no brainer.
    09-12-09 10:43 PM
    Yes and no. Sprint's 3G coverage is superior to AT&T. Voice coverage AT&T would be better. Verizon is superior to Sprint in pretty much every way except price. My wife is in school only working part time, I am a lowly public servant, so $80 a month is worth a bit of sacrifice to me. If I was making six figures, then yes, Verizon would be a no brainer.
    I also like Sprint and their prices. The palm Pre sounds like a good choice. The Web OS seems to be the most polished OS that I have seen which is promising seeing as though its brand spanking new. I would get it. There are a lot of people who think it is an amazing phone, just not on this forum. Check out Pre Central.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-09 10:59 AM
    that phone is the ugliest phone i have ever seen. But I'm sure your not worried about that lol. So you will probably get it.
    09-13-09 05:08 PM
    that phone is the ugliest phone i have ever seen. But I'm sure your not worried about that lol. So you will probably get it.
    i dont know i like the shape of the pre, now the palm pixie that one is kindve ugly
    09-13-09 06:26 PM
    I think the Pre is a good looking phone with a GREAT OS, but there ARE build quality issues too. Or so I have heard.
    09-13-09 07:28 PM
    I think the Pre is a good looking phone with a GREAT OS, but there ARE build quality issues too. Or so I have heard.
    Very true. I just swapped my 3 week old Pre for a BB Tour. The Pre has a very compelling OS encased in very fragile, poorly built hardware. Too bad, really. After 3 weeks I could no longer take the creeking keyboard and the loose twisting slider.
    09-14-09 11:44 AM
    I think the Palm Pre is a nice looking device. I don't know about the durability of it because I have never owned one, but it may not be as bad as everyone thinks. I read a lot of posts bashing the Tour's trackball, keypad, and battery cover, but my wife has one and hasn't had any problems with it. She doesn't even have the "green dot" Tour. I'm quite sure that not evry Pre falls apart. Maybe some people are rougher with their phones and some may just got unlucky and bought a defective device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-09 09:22 PM
    I'll admit, I've been giving the Pre a second, more appreciative look after some positive feedback on it from a few BB users. I think every phone's got potential build-quality issues that can be exacerbated by how you handle the phone. For example, I'm by no means rough with my 8330, but I know that if I move to a Tour, I'm going to have to be more careful due to some differences in design.

...and maybe the Pre's like other phones that have been out awhile, and the team at Palm has learned from the initial batch and are building them a bit stronger now.

I must admit, I do like the look of WebOS.
    09-14-09 09:29 PM
    As a Pre owner, I have to give my 2 cents.

WebOS is awesome, easy to use, looks great, great browser, multi-tasking. All of that.

The Pre it self is only okay, the build quality atleast with mine is just not there yet. Though from what I have read on CrackBerry, RIM struggles with bad track balls and loose fitting battery doors (Not a jab at RIM, every company has some quality control issues here and there).

I think you should go try out a Pre, play around with it for a bit. I think you might really enjoy it. Make sure you keep an eye out for the Oreo effect. Mine has a slight oreo effect and it sort of bothers me.

The thing that held me back from buying a Bold is that the BlackBerry browser isn't that great. I look at my Friend with his Bold and my other friend with a Curve 8330 and their browser just cannot compare. Mine renders websites as you would see them from your computer. BlackBerry OS can't really multitask like the Pre. And I really enjoy the ability to multitask, to listen to music while I'm surfing the web, reply to a text message while I'm talking on the phone.

Does anyone have any insight as to when we will see a proper BlackBerry browser and a multitasking OS?

I might jump to a Bold 9700 before an update like that comes if my Pre slider gets any worse.

Not a Pre fanboy, I love all mobile technology, I will definitely keep an eye out on Android/iPhone/CrackBerry/WinMo/Etc.
    09-14-09 10:32 PM
    The thing that held me back from buying a Bold is that the BlackBerry browser isn't that great. I look at my Friend with his Bold and my other friend with a Curve 8330 and their browser just cannot compare. Mine renders websites as you would see them from your computer. BlackBerry OS can't really multitask like the Pre. And I really enjoy the ability to multitask, to listen to music while I'm surfing the web, reply to a text message while I'm talking on the phone.
    The stock browser does blow but Opera Mini and Bolt are both good replacements. Bolt does the best job of a desktop render but is a bit slower than Opera. It will be next summer before RIM gets its own decent browser out.

Why do you say BB can't multi-task? I listen to Pandora and do other things all the time. With Sprint/Verizon you cannot talk and do data at the same time but that is a limitation of the CDMA technology, it has nothing to do with BB.
    09-16-09 07:11 AM
    +1

Plus the Pixie was recently announced. Might as well wait for that.
    09-16-09 07:21 AM
    +1

Plus the Pixie was recently announced. Might as well wait for that.
    Depending on location yes it can be. Where I am AT&T has no 3G coverage and that pretty much kills it for me. VZW is 60% more expensive and its coverage is not worth that to me. Where I am Sprints coverage is very good. The only place I have trouble is inside Walmart. Every else I get great voice and EVDO coverage.
    09-16-09 09:10 AM
    This whole service issue is pretty subjective. How good it is (signal quality) is completely dependent on where you live. In my area, it goes (best -> worst): US Cellular, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile and then AT&T.
    09-16-09 09:19 AM
    Depending on location yes it can be. Where I am AT&T has no 3G coverage and that pretty much kills it for me. VZW is 60% more expensive and its coverage is not worth that to me. Where I am Sprints coverage is very good. The only place I have trouble is inside Walmart. Every else I get great voice and EVDO coverage.
    Which is why I always tell people, "the best test of how good your coverage is, is to go into a Walmart"
    09-16-09 09:24 AM
    I say get the Pre, but if you can wait until 10/11, wait and get the hero.. BB's are HIGHLY OVER-RATED.. The only thing GREAT about BB's is the "push email".. I can't wait to chunk this dinasour that I have now.. Compared to Android, WEBos, and **** even Win Mob, BB Os, and even their specs are ancient and obsolete!
    09-16-09 09:29 AM
    I had to weigh in on the Sprint vs. ATT@ VZN coverage.

About 4 months ago the company switched me over to a BB on Sprint from my own phone on VZN.

I travel almost every week to different parts of the country and usually am never in the middle of the city to work that week, usually out in the sticks or at best the suburbs.

I have never had any real issues with coverage either data or phone. Maybe I'm the lucky one.
    09-16-09 09:31 AM
    Thanks in part to this thread, I was checking out the Pre a bit more yesterday at Best Buy. I really need to go someplace that's got an actual demo model (the closest Sprint stores for me are kiosks in the mall, and they just have the phones on display and not any demos), because I want to see how my performance on the keyboard really is...I'm sure I'd get used to it, but right now, it just feels odd...I don't have big hands, or chubby fingers, and it felt really awkward. Of course, with a virtual keyboard apparently in development, that could become a moot point. We'll see.
    09-16-09 10:11 AM
    Update time,

I decided to make the move and am going with the Pre. It should be shipping Monday. Several factors played into it but in the end it was a combination of touch screen, better browser, and most importantly wifi tethering. I may come back ******** about it but regardless of the outcome I will post my thoughts and eat any crow that is necessary.
    09-26-09 04:21 PM
    Update time,

I decided to make the move and am going with the Pre. It should be shipping Monday. Several factors played into it but in the end it was a combination of touch screen, better browser, and most importantly wifi tethering. I may come back ******** about it but regardless of the outcome I will post my thoughts and eat any crow that is necessary.
    LOL! told you!!!
    09-26-09 08:19 PM
    My personal experience after trying out a Pre at a Bell store made me glad I got the Bold.

WebOS is great. I loved the touch screen. I could not stand the keyboard and the phone itself felt very cheap.
    09-26-09 10:12 PM
    I think you'll be back to a BB in a very short amount of time. I actually am dumping the Pre after 1 week, and will have my Tour in on Tuesday.

I hate the Pre. There are certain things it does very well, but there are many many basic features it's lacking.

No voice activated dialing or commands

No video

No downloading of pics from web pages

No editing of office documents

Build quality is pretty terrible. Mine shuts off randomly because the battery is just a little too small for the compartment and loses contact. Apparently putting a piece of paper in the back works, but come on....

No desktop client for backup to Outlook etc... There are 3rd party paid apps, but they aren't cheap... I had to take all my outlook info, upload to google then sync with my phone.

The Sync doesn't always work, changes to your phone won't always update google etc...

App store is in Beta, not a lot available.

Now the good:

Smooth interface with WebOS.

Card system is slick and actually fun to use.

Browser is okay, fast and renders pages okay. Opera is better INHO though

Most issues can be resolved with Homebrew Apps, just be prepared to do a bit of reading over at PreCentral.net. Those guys are fantastic.

I think overall if your coming from a BlackBerry, there is a lot your going to miss. You're going to hate the keyboard, and you'll get frustrated in a few days. If you're a real smartphone user, I mean using all features, then you'll get very frustrated with the Pre.

I went from an Instinct (okay phone, but limited) to a HTC Touch Pro (loved it but had issues with the keyboard) to the Pre. The pre is kind of like a an upgraded Instinct. It can multitask which is nice, but it's lacking all over. I never liked Blackberry's myself, but bit the bullet and made the switch because it does everything I want it to do and I don't have to use a homebrew app and root my phone to get it done.

Who knows, you may love it... I personally wanted to throw the Pre through a wall on day 2.
    09-26-09 11:44 PM
    The Palm Pre is a good attempt by Palm to develop a consumer-oriented smartphone. However, it has significant drawbacks.

1. The Pre is a "two handed" device. Use one hand to hold, the other to operate. The BB interface allows everything to be done by one hand.

2. The battery life on the Pre is terrible. You will have to "top up" at least once per day to get through the day.

3. The webOS interface is "clunky". Try it for a while and you will notice a generally "slowness", especially with multiple apps open at the same time.

4. The Pre's keyboard is small and cramped. BB's have much better keyboards, especially the Bold 9000.

5. Hardly any apps available. The Palm App Store has few useful apps due to the nature of webOS "web based" programming language. A terrible idea overall.

6. The webOS interface does not allow for many low-level configurations. It's designed for people who don't want to configure many options (good for some, not for me).

7. Palm's general customer service is terrible based on my experience with Palm devices since 1999. Maybe this will change with the Pre and Pixi, but my experience has been bad to-date.

8. The Pre is too "web centric". Too much information is stored on remote servers and the Pre doesn't work well without an Internet connection.

Just my $0.02...
    09-27-09 05:57 AM
    The Palm Pre is a good attempt by Palm to develop a consumer-oriented smartphone. However, it has significant drawbacks.

1. The Pre is a "two handed" device. Use one hand to hold, the other to operate. The BB interface allows everything to be done by one hand.
    I can do plenty with one, but that's not really a plus for me anyhow unless I'm trying to use the phone and drive, which I don't

2. The battery life on the Pre is terrible. You will have to "top up" at least once per day to get through the day.
    Agreed, it is is terrible relatively speaking, but is about on par with other devices with comparable screens, processors and capabilities. Having a charger in the car makes this a non-issue for me.

3. The webOS interface is "clunky". Try it for a while and you will notice a generally "slowness", especially with multiple apps open at the same time.
    Amazing statement coming from a BB user, especially considering one of the most popular BB apps is Quikpull. webOS makes the BB interface look about a decade old. Not suprising that the WebOS interface is the most popular feature of the pre while the BB OS is one of the most criticized issue with BB phones.

4. The Pre's keyboard is small and cramped. BB's have much better keyboards, especially the Bold 9000.
    Agreed, but I had zero issues coming from the Curve.

5. Hardly any apps available. The Palm App Store has few useful apps due to the nature of webOS "web based" programming language. A terrible idea overall.
    Developers seem to disagree and the ability to code in web languages has been highlighted as a major plus. Considering the SDK was just went public July 16th and three months is the time frame I hear from developers to create good apps, Palm is off to a good start. BB OS has been around forever and app world launched in April, but we only see a bit over 2,000 apps available. With the revamped Palm App Catalog about to drop I would place a wager that the number of apps will exceed that of App World in short order.

6. The webOS interface does not allow for many low-level configurations. It's designed for people who don't want to configure many options (good for some, not for me).
    Agreed

7. Palm's general customer service is terrible based on my experience with Palm devices since 1999. Maybe this will change with the Pre and Pixi, but my experience has been bad to-date.
    Palm has new leadership that has shown nothing but willingness to reach out to its users. You would be well served to watch Engadget's interview with Jon Rubinstein. Honestly, how many times does a user contact their phone manufacture's customer service though? Palm quickly addressed the phones build issues , and developer relations are about as good as it gets in the mobile phone community.

8. The Pre is too "web centric". Too much information is stored on remote servers and the Pre doesn't work well without an Internet connection.
    To be without an available data connection is a rare thing. On the rare occasion that I'm outside of Sprint coverage I'm roaming for free on Verizon. In other words, most Pre users will never be without data coverage. Being web-centric is a plus, not a minus.
    09-27-09 11:32 AM
    Agreed, but I had zero issues coming from the Curve..
    I didn't own any smartphone before I bought the Pre, but I had zero trouble with the Pre Keyboard. It is tiny, but after about a day you get used to it.

I have fat thumbs and no issues.

I'll probably switch to the Storm 2 when it comes out since I'm fed up with the Pre build quality.

I'm not sure I can give up the multi-tasking though. Its addicting.
    09-29-09 10:10 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD