Soooo about 6 months ago I made a post on here gloating about how I sold my Curve and got an iPhone. Lets just say I use the apps/ipod/ical/youtube features wayyy less than I thought I would and I miss my effing keyboard and copy/paste.

It's been a lifetime in the tech world though so I got a couple questions.

1) I've heard Blackberry has come out with some good apps, do they have some decent ones for facebook/myspace/twitter? How about a decent restaurant/gas station/hotel finder? Movie times? Weather? Truthfully that's about the only apps I use in my iPhone, and having them on any other phone from now on is kind of important now I guess.

2) How well does the Bold synch with a Mac? I used to use Pocket Mac and it was OK, is there anything new out? I would like to synch notes, calendar, pics, photos, video, contacts, music ect. Does all that work pretty smoothly?

3) Speaking of music how does Blackberry's music thing work? Like I said I don't listen to music that much on my phone, but there are some things I would like to have on there. All my music is on iTunes on my computer, how do I get stuff to the phone?

4) I go out of the country once and awhile and I heard the Bold has some kind of 'International' feature, anyone know anything about it? Can I make calls/text/use the internet when I'm in a different country? Does the GPS work outside of the country?

5) Speaking of GPS how well does it work on the Bold? I think I remember it being quicker on my Curve but smoother in the iPhone.

6) Oh and how is the browser on the Bold? I do find the iPhone's browser beautiful compared to the Curve, has Blackberry stepped its browser up yet?

Ok that's about it, I know I'm sacrificing some fun and some user friendliness with the Blackbery, but I really do think I'm ready to go back to the more professional build. I miss PUSH email, I miss the keyboard, and the prospect of video and that beautiful screen on the Bold is pretty damn exciting too. I hope you guys can answer some of these questions for me, any and all feedback is appreciated!

Thanks,

Tariq
    05-10-09 01:28 AM
    you will be happy with a bold
    05-10-09 01:46 AM
    I know there is something called BlackBerry Media Sync that will synchronize iTunes and your BlackBerry device. I'm currently using Poynt for local movie times. It works great! It can use GPS/Cell Tower location based positioning to find the theaters closest to you. The Facebook on BlackBerry devices isn't as great as I've heard it is on the iPhone, although, people I know who have an iPhone thinks theirs stinks as well. So, I guess they both leave a lot to be desired. I'm using a push based weather application from Accuweather. It installs a nice icon on the device that updates with the weather forecast (shows rain for rain, sun for sunny, sun/cloud - you get the picture) and when you move over the icon it will show a quick forecast/current conditions. Clicking the icon will launch a mobile website with 5 day forecast and other weather information. I "think" most people agree that iPhone has the better web browser. Remember that BlackBerry can also use Opera Mini and BOLT (which Ive since come to love in its more recent version) and SkyFire (with flash support) is in the works. As far as your Mac questions, I am on a PC so I can't help you there...

You already know the reasons why you want to get the Bold. Its a professional device as you state. I say "Pull the trigger" and go!

ALB
    05-10-09 08:28 AM
    Great move! Do it. I use media sync, it works well.
    05-10-09 08:33 AM
    Once again this post is coming in handy. Even though it's talking about the 8900, most of it still applies here.
    I switched back to BB after using a G1 and 8900 and I could not be happier. I had a 8100 before getting the G1 and iPhone and couldn't stand the thing because it was constantly crashing. Now on the other hand. the 8900 is like my dream BB. It does everything I could want it to do and more. It does everything I want WITHOUT having to jailbreak it (iPhone), or root it (G1). With the iPhone I could only use one app at a time and that gets very annyoying. With the 8900 I can be IMing someone with BeeJive IM, chatting it up on BBM, emailing, and browsing CB all at the same time without a hitch. The 8900 is the best BB made. No question to it. I love my 8900. Once you go Black you never go back. You will love the 8900. For the web browser, I recommend BOLT, I actually prefer it over the iPhone browser because of its speed. Also, soon a new browser called SkyFire is coming to BB and it will support Flash. It was voted best mobile browser at the Webbie Awards. I personally have never used the BB version, but I tried the Windows Mobile version at the T-Mobile Store and I was very impressed. It loaded hulu and YouTube faster than my laptop that has a 1.5Mbs DSL connection; and that was on EDGE! The apps on the iPhone might be cool, but they get boring fast. Also, when you use a BB you going the whole million strong CrackBerry community. The community was one of the main reasons I came back to BB after switching to other platforms. The push email is really great. Let me tell you something, I know a few people around here in the CB community that use their BB as their computer; they don't have a computer because they don't need or want one. That tells you alot about the phone If someone can use it as their main computer that tells you that it is very powerful and reliable. I'd like to hear about an iPhone user that doesn't own a computer. I doubt you'd be able to find one. You can also run any app you want on a BlackBerry, without having to mod anything. If you are not satisfied with the 8900, I would be shocked. You have to update the OS to have really good battery life though. The battery life with .114 (stock OS) is not very good, but if you don't want to update the OS, the 8900 is still a great phone out of the box. I also love that you can type on the 8900 without looking. I've only had my 8900 for about 3 weeks and I'm already touch typing on it. For example, I can watch TV and type a message on my BB at the same time. Example 2, I can be walking in a mall and type a message without walking into people or walls. As you can tell, I am obsessed with my 8900 and it is very hard for me to part with it any time I can't use my BB. I highly recommend this case. I reviewed the case here.Take my word for it, you will love the 8900. PM me if you have any other questions/concerns about using the 8900. Sorry if I repeated anything. Bottom line: Keep the 8900!
    (I gotta stop writing such long replies!)

EDIT: Let's not forget the great camera that the 8900 has along with autofocus. Also, the ability to so easily customize it to your liking.
    05-10-09 09:43 AM
    1) I've heard Blackberry has come out with some good apps, do they have some decent ones for facebook/myspace/twitter? How about a decent restaurant/gas station/hotel finder? Movie times? Weather? Truthfully that's about the only apps I use in my iPhone, and having them on any other phone from now on is kind of important now I guess.
    I use Poynt as a POI locater. For Twitter I use UberTwitter and it's great. As far as Facebook and MySpace go, I just use the RIM apps. They're not the best, but they get the job done.

2) How well does the Bold synch with a Mac? I used to use Pocket Mac and it was OK, is there anything new out? I would like to synch notes, calendar, pics, photos, video, contacts, music ect. Does all that work pretty smoothly?
    I use MediaSync on my PC to get my iTunes stuff on my BB. As far as Mac PIM syncing goes, I don't know because I am not a Mac user (I want to be though).

3) Speaking of music how does Blackberry's music thing work? Like I said I don't listen to music that much on my phone, but there are some things I would like to have on there. All my music is on iTunes on my computer, how do I get stuff to the phone?
    MediaSync is the easiest way.

4) I go out of the country once and awhile and I heard the Bold has some kind of 'International' feature, anyone know anything about it? Can I make calls/text/use the internet when I'm in a different country? Does the GPS work outside of the country?
    I don't about any international feature, but it will work overseas since it's a GSM device. I don't see any reason that the GPS will not work overseas.

5) Speaking of GPS how well does it work on the Bold? I think I remember it being quicker on my Curve but smoother in the iPhone.
    I depends what OS you are running. Different OS's give you different lock times. YOu will have to look in the Bold specific forum to find out the best OS. I recommend using Google Maps for GPS.

6) Oh and how is the browser on the Bold? I do find the iPhone's browser beautiful compared to the Curve, has Blackberry stepped its browser up yet?
    The browser is great. I actualy consider it to be equal to the iPhone's in terms of ease of use. I use Bolt for complex websites; it's fast and uses hardly any bandwidth. SkyFire is coming out soon and that will support Flash.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by branden3112; 05-10-09 at 12:20 PM.
    05-10-09 10:02 AM
    Switch back you wont regret it!
    05-10-09 10:13 AM
    Thanks for all the responses guys, another reason I want to go back to the berry is so I can be a part of this community again haha

One more question, is there a google reader program for blackberry?

I messed around with one at the AT&T store today, it felt nice in my hands, I'm liking it, I think I'm gonna put the iPhone on craigslist tonight.
    05-10-09 06:06 PM
    come back to the good team.
    05-10-09 07:01 PM
    GRIME I sent you an e-mail
    05-10-09 07:13 PM
    damn iphone sold fast, 425 on craigslist within a half hour of posting it, waiting for the att store next door to get a bold, they said by 3pm, think i'm going to get the case mate smart skin in red, i'm excited!
    05-11-09 03:27 PM
    Do it come back to BB world.
    05-18-09 07:36 PM
    grime i suggest you get the case mate in black because i got a red one doesnt look as good in ur hands as it does on their website.
    06-14-09 03:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD