I've been using Windows Mobile phones for many years now as well as a couple Palm phones. Lately with my HTC Vogue, I've been growing less fond of Windows Mobile. Spend way too many hours tweaking it and flashing cooked roms only to do it yet again weeks later. As much as I like how much you can tweak Windows Mobile and the massive list of software out there for it, I'm just getting tired of not having a phone I can enjoy out of the box. Plus the whole touch screen only aspect of my Vogue has completely lost its appeal. Touch typing just isn't fun anymore and can be a total nightmare to deal with, especially in the car where even trying to dial a number isn't always simple.

I've started looking into the Bold and I gotta say I'm really impressed with it and it looks like BlackBerry is finally getting more serious about making their phones more media centric right outta the box. The screen resolution is the biggest plus to me as that means less panning around a website. The trackball has always looked nice too for easy navigation instead of having to use a d-pad.

About the only thing I would really miss from my current phone is the GPS. Yeah, I know there is one in every BlackBerry these days, but I'm on Verizon and it's locked to **** (unless people have finally hacked them?) where as my Vogues GPS works with any piece of software so there isn't any monthly navigation fee I have to pay.

So I gotta ask, how many people have made the jump from Windows Mobile and are happy Blackberry owners now?
    07-04-08 08:47 PM
    Went from a Treo 700w and couldn't be happier, no regrets whatsoever.

Welcome to the Crack!
    07-04-08 08:57 PM
    I came over to my BB Curve from a Samsung Blackjack, and a T-mobile Dash(only for 3 days), and I absolutely love it. I would never be able to make the switch to a Windows Mobile phone again, it is not customizable enough in my opinion.
    07-04-08 09:18 PM
    I had the Audiovox XV6700 from Verizon and I couldn't stand it. It had the slide out keyboard, but that was just one more annoying step to take just to type, so I'd make a go at it using the touchscreen for quick texts (with the stylus) and even doing one sentence is torture with a touch screen. It also felt awkward when the keyboard was slid out.

It would freeze at least once per day and it was too thick to fit comfortably in my pocket. Did I mention that I hate using a stylus? I'll NEVER go back to a touch screen phone again.

I have the Curve 8330 now and it is by far the best, most enjoyable, easy to use, and life simplifying phone that I have ever used.
    07-04-08 09:32 PM
    I've been a Windows Mobile (and Palm) OS user and I found it behaved just like desktop versions of Windows - it'll freeze every now and then (requiring a reset) and it tends to bloat. Although it's got less 3rd party software available, I find the Blackberry OS just plain works. It's a phone first, so the last thing I want to worry about is checking to see if it's crashed - I just want to be able to turn it on and know that it'll ring when when it's suppose to, just like a good dumb phone. I don't miss WM at all.
    07-04-08 10:18 PM
    I had a Motorola Q before I switched to a Blackberry. I dont regret it at all. I agree with you, Windows Mobile has some great free apps, but I prefer the stability of the Berry. I don't miss the crashes, the freeze ups, and the horrible battery life!
    07-04-08 11:43 PM
    I went from a treo to a BB and will never go back. Take the plunge you won't regret it
    07-04-08 11:45 PM
    I made the jump from winSLOW. I use BBs and the iPhone, both which I enjoy 10Xs better.

I'm tired of having to go through 1,000,000,000 folders to get to the clock (lol) and love the UI on the BB and iPhone. It's simple and easy to use.
    07-05-08 03:43 AM
    Make the switch
    07-05-08 04:50 AM
    Please make the switch from WinSlow as Jayden would call it. The biggest reason why I dont like them is because they freeze entirely too much.
    07-05-08 06:44 AM
    I went from a treo to a Q & then the Touch. Finally switched to the Curve. Best phone I've ever used. The Q & Touch were just too unreliable and flaky for my purposes. While there aren't nearly as many software choices for the Curve, it blows those other phones out of the water in terms of stability and ease of use.
    07-05-08 08:03 AM
    make the switch...i was THEE BIGGEST htc fanboy where im from...i got an 8100 and got hooked now i have an 8320, 8800, and and 8120... i also have some other simple phones but only taken to where my blackberrys shouldnt be, which is only pretty much only the water
    07-05-08 08:58 AM
    Sounds good!

Irony about Windows Mobile is I honestly have never had any real issues with freezing. Windows Mobile 2002 and 2003 had issues, but once WM5 and 6 were out my issues were completely gone. Except for the week of owning the 6700 which liked to lock up every time the phone wanted to do something that required using the phone.

I really won't mind the lack of apps compared to Windows Mobile since I really didn't use too many of them anyways. SlingPlayer is coming out eventually and that's about the biggest app from Windows Mobile I really want to keep around.

Now just comes the big wait for the Bold or whatever Verizon releases this year and I hope EVDO Rev A is built into it. Already have it on my Vogue and it makes a world of a difference dealing with online content.
    07-05-08 05:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD