It's merely my opinion that it's garbage. I say that because it's limited in its functionality (compared to virtually every other tablet) and the company has virtually abandoned it. I'd spend a few bucks more and get the latest technology from a company that will support the product and it's users. I wish I could recommend it, but I can't.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 07:48 PM
    I have a PB and for my usage, similar to OP, it works perfectly. I actually prefer my old Playbook over newer cheap Android tablets that are flooding the market nowadays. If your looking for something newer either get an Ipad or a Surface.
    03-28-14 08:24 PM
    Origami browser is worth looking into if you dislike the PB browser. I use a PlayBook daily to stream Sirius and email and bridge and ad infinitum. Lol

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-28-14 08:36 PM
    I'm actually thinking of getting a playbook for the same reasons as well.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 08:53 PM
    Look at the dell venue 8 pro. It is a great tablet.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 08:59 PM
    Why does this thread show up about once every three weeks ?
    03-28-14 09:29 PM
    Why does this thread show up about once every three weeks ?
    Maybe because there may still be a number of consumers that are considering the playbook as their tablet. BlackBerry has an equity in this space and I'd be glad if there should be a follow up device in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    03-28-14 10:27 PM
    Maybe because there may still be a number of consumers that are considering the playbook as their tablet. BlackBerry has an equity in this space and I'd be glad if there should be a follow up device in the near future.

Posted via CB10
    We use ours as a ereader. Value to us $50.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    03-29-14 01:05 AM
    Still think the playbook is a most underrated piece of hardware. And the bridge is among the most amazing software innovation from blackberry. Would definitely recommend you to get one even now.

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    qwerty4ever likes this.
    03-29-14 01:27 AM
    Can anyone recommend a non blackberry tablet other than samsung. I don't plan on doing anything crazy with it. Just browse the internet keep our facebook page updated. and play a few games which I don't do much of.

Posted via CB10
    The iPad. Any of the versions. They're accepted and have always been accepted as the best tablet on the market (though we don't know how much longer that would last). That's of course if you don't mind the price tag.

Posted via CB10
    03-29-14 03:33 AM
    The only qualm about the playbook that I currently have is the browser needs to be updated. Though you can alleviate this by using origami browser

Posted via CB10
    I've never experienced the problems with the web browser of the BlackBerry PlayBook alleged by so many people.

Posted via CB10
    sisko2003 and FSeverino like this.
    03-29-14 04:40 AM
    Ipad mini is your best bet.. it will be relevant for the next 6 years and worth the price

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    03-29-14 06:47 AM
    Ipad mini is your best bet.. it will be relevant for the next 6 years and worth the price

Posted by a leaky CB10.1
    Worth the price... Pff

From zee coolest flicking smartphone ever
    03-29-14 08:25 AM
  14. Professional_Tickle_Fighter's Avatar
    As an owner of 5 playbooks and numerous android tablets I suggest you look elsewhere. It's just too old and lacks too many features.
    Loved them in their time, but that was 2-3 years ago.
    03-29-14 10:16 AM
    Nexus 7.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    03-29-14 10:18 AM
    I ran the HTML5 test on my PB today (an e-reader for us) and the standard browser scored a very respectable 412 vs my Nexus 488. My 9900 scored only 275 on the test.
    03-29-14 10:50 AM
    I ran the HTML5 test on my PB today (an e-reader for us) and the standard browser scored a very respectable 412 vs my Nexus 488. My 9900 scored only 275 on the test.

I just purchased the Lenovo Mix 2 8...absolutely love it combined with my Z30. It can be had for under $200 on Newegg. I would definitely check it out.
    03-30-14 09:41 AM
    I had a play book for two years and was completely satisfied with it. It did all the basics really well and it was reliable. Unfortunately, it died last summer so I have in the in term bought 2 Android tablets (nexus 7 and Kobo Arc). I will be blunt. Both stink and were by a country mile the worst electronic purchases of my life. Android OS is completely unstable and the system crashes multiple times a day on simple tasks. And it just gets worse with time. Either get a playbook and accept the limited App selection or save your pennies and get an iPad.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 10:21 AM
    I just purchased the Lenovo Mix 2 8...absolutely love it combined with my Z30. It can be had for under $200 on Newegg. I would definitely check it out.
    I bought a Toshiba Encore 8. The Lenovo Miix 8 is reported as weighing 350 grams which is amazingly light compared to the Toshiba which is reported as 435 grams. This light weight of the Lenovo would certainly be nice as far as carrying it around and using it as an e-reader. But the Toshiba has an HDMI port and stereo speakers. The Encore 8. 32GB is $249 today at Staples in USA today.
    03-30-14 10:34 AM
    I'd pass on the PlayBook and spend some money on a decent tablet. There's lots of affordable alternatives that are vastly superior to the PlayBook. Remember, the PlayBook is 3 years old. Tablets have changed a lot since 2011.

I haven't used my PlayBook in years. The bridge worked nice with my 9650 and 9930, but I don't see the need to bridge with my Z10. Maybe if I had a Q10 I'd feel different, but I think the screen is good enough on that to not go through the hassle of lugging a second device to function as the Q10's external monitor.

Bridge is a great deal if you have BIS and data compression. If you don't, be prepared to eat through your data plan if you're using the PlayBook with a BB10 phone.

I'd recommend a Nexus or Kindle Fire if you're looking for a cheap media consumption tablet that is still nice. If you're going to use it more for work, spend the extra money and opt for a iPad or a W8 tablet. I love my Surface 2. It's what I imagined the PlayBook would be (but wasn't) when I bought my PlayBook on launch day in 2011.

Blackberry Z10: STL100-3, OS 10.2.1.537
    03-30-14 11:07 AM
    Out of the gate, I would say what is your budget? You might be able to find some new in box or close to new Playbooks from online classifieds. You can probably find some 16GB for sub $100 and maybe some 64GB for sub $200. Good value if you can find it for those prices. Test it out before you buy if you can. The seller should be able to do that for you.

The Playbook build quality, OS and UI is quite solid and smooth to this day (3 years old) and looks like you want to stick to the BlackBerry experience. As for apps, what are your major uses? Web browsing? E-mails? Calendar? Address book? Taking photos and videos? Watching movies? Playing music? Facebook? Creating office documents? If these are your basic uses, the Playbook offers it. If there are must apps that you need to have, double check what Android apps are available by an earlier post by someone in this thread.

I think we might have similar needs and maybe use cases so I'll tell you how I use the 64GB Playbook and how I pair it with my Q10.

My personal use:

-my family has either a Playbook or a BB10 device. The Playbook video chat can connect to all of them so no matter where I am around the world, I can get some decent video chat sessions with a 3MP front camera.

-to take pictures and videos when my prime photo and video devices are short on battery or storage. Rear camera is 5MP and can take HD video.

-if I need a larger screen, I use it for web browsing with full page or mobile pages. I shuffle between the native browser or Origami browser. Decent experience compared to competition.

-watching movies/videos. The dpi is pretty decent making it nice to watch HD movies. Also, the high quality audio stereo speakers still take out most of the competition as it has been rare that I've had the same movie experience from other tablets. Great for me when I commute via public transit or when I'm on the plane/at the airport.

-micro HDMI and BlackBerry bridge combo. In my bedroom or a hotel room, I hook up my Playbook and remote control it with my Q10. I play my movies, chat on BBM, web browse or stream live sports games.

-playing music. As stated before, the stereo speakers are pretty good and I use it for whenever I'm doing chores around the home or when I'm at a social event needing some portable music.

-Documents to Go. I either use my BlackBerry Bridge to use the Q10 keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard to create documents or spreadsheets.

-Video games. I used to be a gamer but realized not so much anymore but I still download them anyways. Favorite games are Angry Birds Space, Plants Vs. Zombies, Cut the Rope, Tetris, Asphalt 6, Dead Space and couple more. More than enough for me.

My work use:

-Pairing with a work OS7.1 Blackberry phone to view emails, texts, BBMs, calendar, contacts. Anyone can extend from their BlackBerry devices and never worry about security and privacy as the Playbook disconnects after the session. This was the beauty of the Playbook for the enterprise and I think many have lost sight of that. Mind you BlackBerry should have not rolled out the initial version of the Playbook to consumers without the independent email app.

-PowerPoint presentations on a TV/Projector pairing with BlackBerry Bridge with the sideshow remote control on the Q10. People are still amazed when I do presentations with this combo.

-Laptop replacement using the Playbook and bluetooth keyboard for creating, editing office documents and taking meeting minutes. A lighter load on the back was most welcome with the office productivity. Today, you are probably better off using the Surface Pro if your company supplies it.

Anyways, had to write this personal experience (albeit maybe lenghty) as the Playbook still doesn't get it's due for what it did during it's time and that it's still useful to this day depending on your needs. Good luck with what you end up with.

Posted via CB10
    stlabrat likes this.
    03-30-14 01:01 PM
    I just ordered an open box 16 gig PB from www.n1wireless.com for $69.99 plus shipping. I went from an 8520 to a 9930 to a q10. I tried an iphone 4s for a short term and figured a tablet would be a good compliment for a larger screen. Can you sync texts with a q10 to the PB? Can you send them from a PB through a BlackBerry device if tied together? Is that connection over bluetooth? It'll work great for my usage and half the cost of what I spent (2 years ago) on my wife's kindle fire.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk
    03-30-14 01:57 PM
    Out of the gate, I would say what is your budget? You might be able to find some new in box or close to new Playbooks from online classifieds. You can probably find some 16GB for sub $100 and maybe some 64GB for sub $200. Good value if you can find it for those prices. Test it out before you buy if you can. The seller should be able to do that for you.

The Playbook build quality, OS and UI is quite solid and smooth to this day (3 years old) and looks like you want to stick to the BlackBerry experience. As for apps, what are your major uses? Web browsing? E-mails? Calendar? Address book? Taking photos and videos? Watching movies? Playing music? Facebook? Creating office documents? If these are your basic uses, the Playbook offers it. If there are must apps that you need to have, double check what Android apps are available by an earlier post by someone in this thread.

I think we might have similar needs and maybe use cases so I'll tell you how I use the 64GB Playbook and how I pair it with my Q10.

My personal use:

-my family has either a Playbook or a BB10 device. The Playbook video chat can connect to all of them so no matter where I am around the world, I can get some decent video chat sessions with a 3MP front camera.

-to take pictures and videos when my prime photo and video devices are short on battery or storage. Rear camera is 5MP and can take HD video.

-if I need a larger screen, I use it for web browsing with full page or mobile pages. I shuffle between the native browser or Origami browser. Decent experience compared to competition.

-watching movies/videos. The dpi is pretty decent making it nice to watch HD movies. Also, the high quality audio stereo speakers still take out most of the competition as it has been rare that I've had the same movie experience from other tablets. Great for me when I commute via public transit or when I'm on the plane/at the airport.

-micro HDMI and BlackBerry bridge combo. In my bedroom or a hotel room, I hook up my Playbook and remote control it with my Q10. I play my movies, chat on BBM, web browse or stream live sports games.

-playing music. As stated before, the stereo speakers are pretty good and I use it for whenever I'm doing chores around the home or when I'm at a social event needing some portable music.

-Documents to Go. I either use my BlackBerry Bridge to use the Q10 keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard to create documents or spreadsheets.

-Video games. I used to be a gamer but realized not so much anymore but I still download them anyways. Favorite games are Angry Birds Space, Plants Vs. Zombies, Cut the Rope, Tetris, Asphalt 6, Dead Space and couple more. More than enough for me.

My work use:

-Pairing with a work OS7.1 Blackberry phone to view emails, texts, BBMs, calendar, contacts. Anyone can extend from their BlackBerry devices and never worry about security and privacy as the Playbook disconnects after the session. This was the beauty of the Playbook for the enterprise and I think many have lost sight of that. Mind you BlackBerry should have not rolled out the initial version of the Playbook to consumers without the independent email app.

-PowerPoint presentations on a TV/Projector pairing with BlackBerry Bridge with the sideshow remote control on the Q10. People are still amazed when I do presentations with this combo.

-Laptop replacement using the Playbook and bluetooth keyboard for creating, editing office documents and taking meeting minutes. A lighter load on the back was most welcome with the office productivity. Today, you are probably better off using the Surface Pro if your company supplies it.

Anyways, had to write this personal experience (albeit maybe lenghty) as the Playbook still doesn't get it's due for what it did during it's time and that it's still useful to this day depending on your needs. Good luck with what you end up with.

Posted via CB10
    Thank you for sharing this. Makes me even more worked up to get a PB for myself.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-14 02:26 PM
    GARBAGE, TRASH, JUNK....BP sucks, i bought one and regret it ever since. Go with an Android, you will be much happier.
    04-02-14 10:51 PM
    If you. Want android go with nexus 7
    It's cheap and you will get latest android all the time

Go for ipad mini
    It's one of the best. For browsing and a lot apps and games to choose from

Go for dell vanue windows 8 with 7 or 8 inches I don't remember
    You can do all plus you will get full working windows

I would not suggest playbook Cuz I used to have playbook ( 16gb then 64gb)
    It's ok tablet but you will get bored quickly

These are my opinions only

Posted via CB10
    Ipad has no flash.

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    04-02-14 10:58 PM
56 123