Hello, I am new here (:
    I am thinking of a Bold 9900 but I'm not sure, here are my experiences so far:

I am a bit of a OS :/ I first had Android for like 2 years but hated it, too much fragmentation, no integration, separate gmail and email apps (just dumb), laggy, random reboots, too much bloatware from all the manufactures.

Then i tried a Palm Pre 3 for like a week untill HP dropped it, was fantastic, fast (except boot times), open but not as fragmented, apps were poor though and not many, missing a few features and getting to options was a pain, nice multi-tasking etc.

Then Windows Phone Dell Venue Pro, love the phone, the OS is the fastest I have used, most stable (runs for 13 days with no problems at all), never rebooted or crashed (maybe once actually before mango), seems well integrated, hubs make sense, live tiles are good, apps are good and feel integrated. AMAZING BATTERY!! 53% after 12hours
    However things like, no calendar search, no message search, no full backup with Zune, can not change Phone ID (eg windows live id) without a factory reset, no encryption, no external storage, can't connect to PC as storage device, wish it was not as locked down so i could have custom Accents (colours) and a few little things like that.

Now I have been looking at the new Blackberry Bold 9900 because it seems to have all of that stuff but I am not sure, I don't know what I would be missing from WP7 or gaining from BB OS7.

Anyone had both and could tell me

Thanks
    12-23-11 06:56 PM
    I never used Windows phones, or WebOS, but I have used both Android and BB.

What Androids where you using? I used to hate/loathe Android when I had my mytouch3G. It was slow, cumbersome and just plain sucked! 1.6 was painsaking! I then went to a 2.2 froyo in the mytouch4G by HTC and WOW, what a difference. Battery life was better, smoother UI, not buggy and felt solid in the hand. Totally different in a short amount of time. I honestly dont feel the need to upgrade this Feb due to it working fine. I would only get a new one, just because...lol! I personally would try a newer Android and see what you think as they are worlds apart from the older ones, which to be fair, they were in their baby stages. They are running now!

I had many phones before that, even BB, but concentrate on my favorite one, which was the 9700. I loved it! I still use it on occasion, but generally let my stepdaughter rock it. It is almost 2 years old and has never had a hiccup, well minis the keyboard keys paint chipping off and a bad battery, but that was taken care of. It was always fast enough for me and had amazing battery life and the keyboard was just a joy to type on. Best communication device I used and never got my mail faster, even compared to my Android.

So with that said, the new BB's are nice, even nicer than my 9700. The 9900 would be the phone I would rock if I was to come back. Beautiful hardware, fast, smooth as butter and has both TS and the awesome KB, which is even better than my 9900. It has a decent camera, but missing auto-focus. I dont remember, but dont think it has HDMi out either. So might be missing that as well. They just implemented wifi-hotspot, which is a huge plus. Also gets decent battery life, but not as good as my 9700. Bigger processor and what not though, so kind of understandable.

What sucks about the new BB's? A lot of people are not satisfied with them due to always being a year back, or so it seems. I guess it is all dependent on the user. I would go back and be fine, but a lot of people have to have all the fancy things that Iphones or Androids bring to the table.

I say test them out at a store and make your decision then. Take your time, there is plenty of it. Dont want to be stuck with the wrong choice and or having to try and sell it to offset costs, unless you have money buring in your pocket. I know I dont....
    12-23-11 07:59 PM
    Hello, I am new here (:

I am a bit of a OS :/ I first had Android for like 2 years but hated it, too much fragmentation, no integration, separate gmail and email apps (just dumb), laggy, random reboots, too much bloatware from all the manufactures.

Then i tried a Palm Pre 3 for like a week untill HP dropped it, was fantastic, fast (except boot times), open but not as fragmented, apps were poor though and not many, missing a few features and getting to options was a pain, nice multi-tasking etc.

Then Windows Phone Dell Venue Pro, love the phone, the OS is the fastest I have used, most stable (runs for 13 days with no problems at all), never rebooted or crashed (maybe once actually before mango), seems well integrated, hubs make sense, live tiles are good, apps are good and feel integrated. AMAZING BATTERY!! 53% after 12hours
    However things like, no calendar search, no message search, no full backup with Zune, can not change Phone ID (eg windows live id) without a factory reset, no encryption, no external storage, can't connect to PC as storage device, wish it was not as locked down so i could have custom Accents (colours) and a few little things like that.

Now I have been looking at the new Blackberry Bold 9900 because it seems to have all of that stuff but I am not sure, I don't know what I would be missing from WP7 or gaining from BB OS7.

Thanks
    I've never used Windows Phone, but I will admit that apart from BlackBerry OS, it looks the most appealing to me. It's definitely something that I will look into trying one day as a demo.

That aside, if you are looking for apps, BlackBerry may not be for you. BlackBerry really shines in messaging and completing tasks. The app library is sufficient enough, as in most essential apps (Facebook, Twitter, etc) are all present. But really, unless you're looking for games like Angry Birds, the lack of apps shouldn't be too much of a detriment.

BlackBerry 7 is amazingly fluid and the experience using it is different than what you may have heard about BlackBerry OS. Very fast and very efficient.

I'm a bit biased towards this device, but coming from the Dell Venue Pro, have you looked into the Torch 9810? This is my personal phone and absolutely love it! It really gives you the best of both worlds, with a large screen and a much better keyboard than the Venue Pro. In my personal opinion, this is the best phone RIM currently makes, although the Bold has the best keyboard in the business.

Good luck with your choice and I hope I was able to help! If so, then welcome to BlackBerry!
    12-24-11 01:09 AM
    Get yourself a BlackBerry - you'll never regret it. You just can't know what you are missing before you used one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-11 01:13 AM
    Phones are like computers now. Figure out first what you want to do, then review the phones which do that best. BB phones are solid and versatile, but you need to be honest about your needs and wants. Love my Torch 9850, it's a great phone plus every app I need and want and now has mobile hotspot. Perfect bridge to PlayBook.

This is a RIM oriented site, of course you will get strong opinions from supporters and misinformation from trolls. You will have to decide what is most important to you, and then you will pick BB.
    12-24-11 01:20 AM
    I would only get a new one, just because...lol! I personally would try a newer Android and see what you think as they are worlds apart from the older ones, which to be fair, they were in their baby stages. They are running now!
    Well the problem is the form factors, Android is really only going towards massive screens, dual cores and thin as can be. There is no decent slider

I'm a bit biased towards this device, but coming from the Dell Venue Pro, have you looked into the Torch 9810?
    Well it is perfectly understandable being a little biased on a Blackberry site but I am also a member of your sister site, wpcentral (;
    Anyway I have looked at it but it does not seem to be as feature rich as the 9900, for example the Dual Band Wireless would be awesome as I use 5ghz with my laptop and then I could turn off the legacy 2.4ghz

I only play one game and that is penguin blast haha so addictive
    Hardly play anything else, just the following really:

Binary Calculator
    Subnet Calculator
    Dictionary
    Unit Converter
    eBay
    Facebook
    Flixster
    Sometimes a RSS news Reader
    Bing Maps/Google Maps
    Wikipedia App
    Navigon Europe
    Office (One Note)
    Rail Planner (Sometimes) (Also I'm in the UK so a UK one )
    Scientific Calculator
    Sky Drive (Information Storage, I know BB has eWallet )
    Soundhound
    Twitter
    WeatherLive (Would love one with radar in the UK but only seems iPhone has that)

and a few games sometimes

tbh I think BB would have apps like that.

However now that BB are going towards QNX phones, will those apps run on the new QNX phones or if we upgraded would we loose our app purchases?

Also all the android apps would hopefully run on them (:
    12-24-11 07:23 AM
    I think that you will find the Blackberry Bold 9900 very useful for your needs.
    12-24-11 07:49 AM
    If I were you I would avoid OS 7. The 9900 doesn't have AF camera and is also missing some other things you may want in the future (FFC), upgradability of apps to BB10, etc. OS 7 is faster but it is definitely a stop gap.

You will have to check on the apps availability Navigon, Weatherlive, etc. I liked BBWeather when I had my 9780.

About a month ago I got the new iPhone 4S. Was with BB for 7-8 years. This phone is amazing. It likely has all the apps you want. Wanna check that out?

Good luck in your decision.
    12-24-11 01:17 PM
    BlackBerry has calendar search, message search (both on device and remote/server), can do a partial (most important stuff) cloud backup on schedule with (free) BlackBerry Protect or a full device backup via the Desktop Manager software, allows you to move your ID between devices and even do a "device switch" using Desktop Manager (no reset), supports encryption/device wipe after x failed unlock attempts, and can show as a mass storage device on your PC. Not sure about "remote storage" though there is a DropBox app that works well. Also you can install themes, change wallpapers easily (single click), and even hybrid OS'es if that is your thing.

That seems like a lot of things you are saying WP is missing. Are you sure?
    12-24-11 02:42 PM
    Most of the posters harping about the BB "being a year behind" are most likely trolls. There's even one poster in this thread that constantly bashes BB products - constantly

You tried all the other phones now try the 9900. Just look at it, it is a high quality product.

I was in a store yesterday and, as I typically look at all the new phones to see what's the latest/greatest, I wanted to try the new Galaxy (something) but it was frozen in demo mode and the salesman said they have to reload the OS
    12-24-11 03:31 PM
    Love Blackberry anthogag but come on, they are at least a year behind if not more. Not a troll, just comparing everything out there. I will definitely upgrade from my 9700 to 9900 soon ..
    12-24-11 03:42 PM
    Love Blackberry anthogag but come on, they are at least a year behind if not more. Not a troll, just comparing everything out there. I will definitely upgrade from my 9700 to 9900 soon ..

I'm talking about the new phones. They're a big jump in quality compared to earlier phones.

I would say RIM is different, a 'little-bit behind' sure, in some ways...the playbook, in my opinion is not behind, the swiping OS is ahead
    12-24-11 04:34 PM
    Hello, I am new here (:

Thanks
    Did you upgrade to "Mango"? It sounds like it adds a lot of what's missing in WP7, if so, was it still lacking for you?
    Sounds like BlackBerry will work for you, worth a try. You just have to make a choice on form factor. Is your need of a physical keyboard worth giving up screen real estate? Would the Torch 9810 (slider) work for you? The Torch 9850/9860 (full touch) is a nice device too.

12-24-11 04:35 PM
    it seems you like to point out all the bad things in the other phones. plenty of problems in every phone. don't expect bb to be complete but as a pure social communication device it definitely is one of the best
    12-24-11 04:58 PM
    Typing on less than week old 9850 coming from android and loving it.

12-24-11 07:29 PM
    I don't know what you'll be missing by getting a blackberry. However I would like to say I've been a Blackberry user for a long time now. I jusg got a 9860. Let me tell ya this os7 is great stuff. The 9900 runs os7. I'm not going to tell you it will be better than a wins phone or another platform. I will say though the other platforms will have to step up the game to do better.
    Take your time and look at what Blackberry has to offer. You have an all touch screen device with a huge screen. Its what I've been wanting. You have a slider w/ a full keyboard and a full touch screen. On top of that there's the Bolds which is a mixture of keyboard and touch screen. Blackberrys are not for everybody. Go try em out and see what you think.

12-24-11 11:53 PM
    Good Choice!
    must have apps
    BB traffic
    BB Travel
    BB Score
    12-25-11 02:21 AM
    Well the problem is the form factors, Android is really only going towards massive screens, dual cores and thin as can be. There is no decent slider

Well it is perfectly understandable being a little biased on a Blackberry site but I am also a member of your sister site, wpcentral (;
    Anyway I have looked at it but it does not seem to be as feature rich as the 9900, for example the Dual Band Wireless would be awesome as I use 5ghz with my laptop and then I could turn off the legacy 2.4ghz

I only play one game and that is penguin blast haha so addictive
    Hardly play anything else, just the following really:

Binary Calculator
    Subnet Calculator
    Dictionary
    Unit Converter
    eBay
    Facebook
    Flixster
    Sometimes a RSS news Reader
    Bing Maps/Google Maps
    Wikipedia App
    Navigon Europe
    Office (One Note)
    Rail Planner (Sometimes) (Also I'm in the UK so a UK one )
    Scientific Calculator
    Sky Drive (Information Storage, I know BB has eWallet )
    Soundhound
    Twitter
    WeatherLive (Would love one with radar in the UK but only seems iPhone has that)

and a few games sometimes

tbh I think BB would have apps like that.

However now that BB are going towards QNX phones, will those apps run on the new QNX phones or if we upgraded would we loose our app purchases?

Also all the android apps would hopefully run on them (:
    I don't use a weather app anymore, I have www,accuweather.com bookmarked in the browser and it gives you a radar map too, gove it a try.

Come to think of it I should make it show as an icon in the homescreen.
    12-25-11 03:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD