I am getting very excited for RIM over the next 12 months.

Here is why.

I think after last weeks conference call - they finally pulled their heads out of their butts.

So why am I excited? The playbook is now the Bar for RIM. The experience, the sexyness - it is what we will use to compare everything to.

RIM will be pumping out smartphones and OS's that will re-sexify - and reignite the demand they once had.

When CEO's start carying arround their 99XX Bold Touches - I think RIM will start to deliver again.

RIM has been watching the competition not doing anything lately - but now - i think they will be doing everythign they can to not only catchup - but to innovate.

Innovation will be what makes or breaks RIM at this time.
    05-09-11 09:12 AM
    I definitely agree that the next 6-12 months are going to be critical for RIM. I'm not sure if it's going to be a sink/swim situation. But I think they're gonna do either really well or not.

Hopefully the Bold Touch will be absolutely awesome and we'll get a few more great handsets in the fall/winter.

Here's to hoping.
    05-09-11 10:35 AM
    I agree, I have used the Android phones and Tablets and I think that the BB/Playbook will actually be far better than the competition. I own a 9650 and have used a Playbook and they will mesh together so nicely and give the working professional the right tools to get their jobs done. IMHO
    05-09-11 01:12 PM
    I just don't understand what it means when someone says a phone is "sexy."

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-11 08:10 PM
    Uhhh when someone says a phone is sexy they are saying it looks really really good...what's hard to understand there.
    05-10-11 08:32 PM
    It looks good? I mean ... how???

05-10-11 08:34 PM
    Doesnt only have to refer to looks. When someone refers to a phone as "sexy" its more so that its very appealing.
    No offence but not sure if your being serious or not..
    05-10-11 11:52 PM
    I just thought it had a very powerful "Vibrate" setting...
    05-11-11 10:00 AM
    Doesnt only have to refer to looks. When someone refers to a phone as "sexy" its more so that its very appealing.
    No offence but not sure if your being serious or not..
    The generalities befuddle me. For example, my phone appeals to me because it has a physical keyboard, push email, and the ultimate in device level security: AES encryption. Does that mean it's sexy?

Last edited by T�nis; 05-11-11 at 10:08 AM.
    BoldtotheMax likes this.
    05-11-11 10:06 AM
    The generalities befuddle me. For example, my phone appeals to me because it has a physical keyboard, push email, and the ultimate in device level security: AES encryption. Does that mean it's sexy?

It means it is aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. For example, one may see a car that they think looks really nice and say that it is sexy.
    05-11-11 10:19 AM
    It means it is aesthetically pleasing to the eyes. For example, one may see a car that they think looks really nice and say that it is sexy.
    So we're back to looks. The other poster said, "Doesnt only have to refer to looks. When someone refers to a phone as 'sexy' its more so that its very appealing."

05-11-11 10:35 AM
    Why is the semantics brouhaha being discussed in this thread?
    howarmat, Machzy and scorpiodsu like this.
    05-11-11 10:38 AM
    Why is the semantics brouhaha being discussed in this thread?
    Because it's another bs thread that presupposes that iphones and androids are better than BlackBerry, that touchscreen is desirable, that RIM needs to "catch up," etc ...

05-11-11 10:48 AM
    Because it's another bs thread that presupposes that iphones and androids are better than BlackBerry, that touchscreen is desirable, that RIM needs to "catch up," etc ...

Does it matter how someone chooses to describe a device? I mean seriously? Some people will refer to a device that's nicely designed as sexy. That's nothing new. People do that from everything from people to cars. It is relevant that devices are appealing to people in form factor. Though it's not the most important thing but you compare the form factor of the 8700 and then the 9900 and tell me which one is "sexier" and more likely to get someone to buy it if all things were equal. And if you don't think that RIM doesn't need to catch up then you haven't been paying attention to what they have been doing. If they felt like you then there wouldn't be a playbook and probably no QNX even thought of.
    05-11-11 10:58 AM
    And if you don't think that RIM doesn't need to catch up then you haven't been paying attention to what they have been doing. If they felt like you then there wouldn't be a playbook and probably no QNX even thought of.
    I believe RIM is harming itself by jumping through hoops catering to and trying to please the fickle with fads like Playbook.

05-11-11 11:04 AM
    I believe RIM is harming itself by jumping through hoops catering to and trying to please the fickle with fads like Playbook.

I can see your point there. Hopefully it works out for them. I actually think they are harming themselves but not focusing on smartphones and on devices like the playbook. But I think with seeing their market share continue to go down and more people move to media-centric devices, RIM wants to sustain it's share while also tapping into the growing smartphone market. At the end of the day they are in it to make money and by not adapting to changes in the market and ignoring the overwhelming population of people the join the market that want devices that do a lot of media heavy things, would spell doom for any company in the long run.

If RIM stayed the same they would go back to being just known as a business person's phone. But the issue there is that Android and iOS are also invading the corporate world so RIM can't just sit back and do nothing. If that's the case, then they wouldn't be appealing to the vastly larger consumer market and a potential shrinking corporate market over the next few years. I understand your point but I believe that the majority of the consumer smartphone market would think otherwise which is why we see Android and iOS selling so much. If that weren't the case then RIM would be content. Obviously, they aren't content if they are going to a different platform, right? I mean if BB diehards trusted everything RIM did before, why not trust them now?
    rollingrock1988 likes this.
    05-11-11 11:13 AM
    I can see your point there. Hopefully it works out for them. I actually think they are harming themselves but not focusing on smartphones and on devices like the playbook. But I think with seeing their market share continue to go down and more people move to media-centric devices, RIM wants to sustain it's share while also tapping into the growing smartphone market. At the end of the day they are in it to make money and by not adapting to changes in the market and ignoring the overwhelming population of people the join the market that want devices that do a lot of media heavy things, would spell doom for any company in the long run.

If RIM stayed the same they would go back to being just known as a business person's phone. But the issue there is that Android and iOS are also invading the corporate world so RIM can't just sit back and do nothing. If that's the case, then they wouldn't be appealing to the vastly larger consumer market and a potential shrinking corporate market over the next few years. I understand your point but I believe that the majority of the consumer smartphone market would think otherwise which is why we see Android and iOS selling so much. If that weren't the case then RIM would be content. Obviously, they aren't content if they are going to a different platform, right? I mean if BB diehards trusted everything RIM did before, why not trust them now?
    Nicely expressed. This assessment of the situation, if accurate (and it may very well be), is disappointing on more than just the smartphone level: it epitomizes the things that are wrong with society today.

Why would BlackBerry diehards forsake RIM now? Foolishness. After all, markets have been foolish and wrong before. It's the same mentality that went along with the trashing of wealth producing manufacturing in North America in favor of an insustainable "service" economy. The result of that is that there's absolutely no real economy left in America. Here you can get a gym membership, a cell phone, and a tan, but not a job ... other than a low-paying one at the gym, the Sprint store, or the tanning salon. If business users forsake RIM, the relability and security of BlackBerry, for Facebook, Youtube, and games, it will just be another sickening example of what North American society has degenarated into.

People like to say that markets can and will correct themselves, but that takes time. During WWII, the American auto sector was re-tooled to manufacture military equipment. If the auto sector's plant, facility, and trained personnel were to be scrapped (and much of it already may have been), there wouldn't be time for the market to "correct" itself in time of real need. That stuff could take a generation to build. What would the free-traitors do then in a time of a real war? Buy the necessary military equipment from the enemy? Similarly, if BlackBerry is allowed to degenerate into a media device, good luck getting the great tool back once the Facebookers and netflix watchers have moved on. (I doubt they'll ever realize how stupid they are.)

Last edited by T�nis; 05-11-11 at 12:05 PM.
    05-11-11 11:50 AM
    So we're back to looks. The other poster said, "Doesnt only have to refer to looks. When someone refers to a phone as 'sexy' its more so that its very appealing."

Well, it's the same thing as when you speak of someone of the opposite sex that you find sexy. There are physical aspects about them that you find appealing and thus sexy. If you happen to dig deeper, you may find attributes about their personality that you also find sexy and their inner beauty may even outweigh their outer beauty. Similarly, you may find a phone visually appealing and thus sexy. You may also dig deeper and find the OS to be to your liking as well and thus may find that the operation of the phone (the OS design, the usability, the interface, etc.) are also sexy.

Furthermore, you may find that a phone is visually appealing from the outside, but ugly on the inside in terms of the OS, functionality, etc. and vice versa. Similar to how people can often be beautiful on the outside, but not so much on the inside and even the other way around.
    05-11-11 03:48 PM
    I just thought it had a very powerful "Vibrate" setting...
    HAHAHA!

10char
    05-11-11 07:09 PM
    My 2 cents are BlackBerry has always been the only business tool for a long time, now with all these other devices that have surfaced it makes RIM stop and think for a minute. I think keep improving OS and keep the solid business profile they have had for years, this is what will keep RIM in the running and possibly advance.
    05-12-11 03:47 PM
    I dont get the whole "sexy" thing either with phones.

Like it actually amazes me how people will base how someone is in what type of car they drive and or what phone they carry around.....believe it or not people those things dont always apply to how these people really are.

I still know a few people who carry around dumbphones and when I mention that too my "smartphone" carrying friends they start to generalize them to the point they suck!

Oh well, just ranting I suppose. Wont do any good really, lol! Just amazes me....

By the way........I had a 69 Camaro a few years ago I bought restored and I always got that is a sexy car! Always confused me back then too.....like it is nice yes, but sexy......my wife is....not my car, lol!

To each their own I suppose.
    05-12-11 11:45 PM
    Nicely expressed. This assessment of the situation, if accurate (and it may very well be), is disappointing on more than just the smartphone level: it epitomizes the things that are wrong with society today.

No argument here. Our society is based on getting the newest available and getting it before everyone else. Sad but true. And unfortunately, RIM has to adapt to that market because the smartphone market wasn't like that 5 years go. It was much smaller and only filled with people that actually needed those devices for mostly business purposes. Whether we like it or not, Apple changed the entire landscape of the smartphone industry and now RIM now has to adapt to that. And it's not like they are losing money because even though their market share is smaller they are still selling as many devices as they ever did. So that means the market is growing. But those people that are now entering the market are more likely interested in Androids and iPhones.

RIM sees this market share and now has to adapt to their wants in order to make the money because at the end of the day that's what they need to do. I'm pretty sure no one wanted to or cared about making a tablet anytime soon. But with the success of the iPad a company has to try to tap into that market to make money. But I do agree with you, it's something that unfortunately epitomizes our society.
    05-13-11 10:00 AM
    I dont get the whole "sexy" thing either with phones.

Like it actually amazes me how people will base how someone is in what type of car they drive and or what phone they carry around.....believe it or not people those things dont always apply to how these people really are.

I still know a few people who carry around dumbphones and when I mention that too my "smartphone" carrying friends they start to generalize them to the point they suck!

Oh well, just ranting I suppose. Wont do any good really, lol! Just amazes me....

By the way........I had a 69 Camaro a few years ago I bought restored and I always got that is a sexy car! Always confused me back then too.....like it is nice yes, but sexy......my wife is....not my car, lol!

To each their own I suppose.
    I agree. At first I just thought it was slang used in certain areas. I remember when I was coming out of a store and getting into my car (Lexus GS300) and this guy that was standing like 10 feet away from me ask "what year is that" after I was responded he said "that thing is sexy as he11". I didn't expect him to say that at all. I only refer to women as sexy. But I guess it's just a trend that someone calls something sexy if it looks very appealing. Quite funny though.
    05-13-11 10:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD