What if the next phone or phones they came out with were pretty much a mystery as far as the specs. It didn't tell the speed of the Processor or the # of MP of the camera, it had the screen size and other features but it was on in the store for you to try it out and you liked it, would you still buy based on it's performance? There could be sample photos to see and other features of the camera, but not the # of MP. It could say, the best camera ever for BlackBerry. Also, no info released until the day it came out. Would it still interest you?

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 11:52 AM
    What if the next phone or phones they came out with were pretty much a mystery as far as the specs. It didn't tell the speed of the Processor or the # of MP of the camera, it had the screen size and other features but it was on in the store for you to try it out and you liked it, would you still buy based on it's performance? There could be sample photos to see and other features of the camera, but not the # of MP. It could say, the best camera ever for BlackBerry. Also, no info released until the day it came out. Would it still interest you?

Posted via CB10
    If there are yotube videos showing how all the specs we don't know end up creating a rock solid user experience, yes. Of course. I don't use numbers, I use the device.
    10-16-13 11:58 AM
    If there are yotube videos showing how all the specs we don't know end up creating a rock solid user experience, yes. Of course. I don't use numbers, I use the device.
    This.

Pretty nice thread here, should be interesting, be warned that u might get some heavy negative views...dont let u think that this wasn't a good thread though

Posted via CB10
    tmanthib likes this.
    10-16-13 12:02 PM
    Apple is pretty vague with their specs and it seems to work for them, but Blackberry is not Apple.
    10-16-13 12:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    Its a pipe dream that will never happen, even for Apple now we know a lot/most of the specifications.

But I will play along anyway....

And still say in this hypothetical situation I would not buy a phone just based on looking at it with no specs. I'm not going to name all the reasons I made this choice but for one I always like to know the battery spec in a device. Whether if its given in MaH (preferably) or in hours. I'm not buying a phone blindly in a store and finding out it has z10 battery life lol
    10-16-13 12:10 PM
    I'm ridiculously undisciplined about the devices I get. If they feel good in hand I get them....that's exactly how I ended up buying my Z, my SGIII and my iPhones..

I'll test the device, play with it. If it feels good and it does what I want I get it. So....specs...not my first thought.
    SirJes likes this.
    10-16-13 12:14 PM
    Apple is pretty vague with their specs and it seems to work for them, but Blackberry is not Apple.
    Exactly, this is my point. This is what they do and look at the excitement it generates.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 12:16 PM
    Its a pipe dream that will never happen, even for Apple now we know a lot/most of the specifications.

But I will play along anyway....

And still say in this hypothetical situation I would not buy a phone just based on looking at it with no specs. I'm not going to name all the reasons I made this choice but for one I always like to know the battery spec in a device. Whether if its given in MaH (preferably) or in hours. I'm not buying a phone blindly in a store and finding out it has z10 battery life lol
    I'm not saying no specs, just no processor speed or MP.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 12:18 PM
    I'm still using a 4s, returned an HTCone, so obviously specs don't mean much to me. I'd like to see BB go this route, assuming there is a "next device".

All the gimmicky BS that samesung crams into their phones have zero appeal to me, just more flawed tech for the sake of tech.
    10-16-13 12:49 PM
    It wouldn't move me either way. Specs are not the end all and be all of what drives purchases for me so even a device with a lesser camera, a slower processor (and this one is truly ridiculous as most users would not notice the differences anyway) provides me with what I am looking for in a phone that is my overriding metric.

If specs mattered to me I would not be using a BlackBerry for work nor would I be using a Lumia as my personal, daily go to device. BUT and this is a big thing for me, I am a fan of particular brands. I have always liked Nokia (yes, I forgave them for that f'n travesty called the E62 ) and will always pay attention to their devices. Same goes for BlackBerry, so even without knowing the specs of their devices I'd still give them a look.

Out of curiosity though, why does almost every conversation about BlackBerry invariably have to have someone bring up Apple?
    10-16-13 01:15 PM
    Wine ponces talk about mouth feel, I think 'hand feel' is more important than touting a list of specs.

Someone up thread mentioned Apple. Apple doesn't go on and on about technical specs, they throw out a quick number to give tech blogs something to write about and then get into what that actually means for the end user. The camera is super fast so you can get quick shots, there's a two tone flash so dark images don't look so washed out. Things like that are more important than gigahertz and megapixels.
    10-16-13 01:22 PM
    It wouldn't move me either way. Specs are not the end all and be all of what drives purchases for me so even a device with a lesser camera, a slower processor (and this one is truly ridiculous as most users would not notice the differences anyway) provides me with what I am looking for in a phone that is my overriding metric.

If specs mattered to me I would not be using a BlackBerry for work nor would I be using a Lumia as my personal, daily go to device. BUT and this is a big thing for me, I am a fan of particular brands. I have always liked Nokia (yes, I forgave them for that f'n travesty called the E62 ) and will always pay attention to their devices. Same goes for BlackBerry, so even without knowing the specs of their devices I'd still give them a look.

Out of curiosity though, why does almost every conversation about BlackBerry invariably have to have someone bring up Apple?
    Apple and others do understand marketing better than BlackBerry, so there is something they could learn from them. I'm not a Apple fan, just making a point.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 01:38 PM
    I will say for myself, I like knowing the specs, but I know that a faster processor does not always mean a faster user experience, nor does more MP means a better photos. I also noticed at the AT&T store, they don't always have the specs posted on the phones. The sale rep. Told me I could find them online, like I did not know that. That indicates to maybe most people don't care about specs all that much.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 02:04 PM
    I like this idea

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 02:11 PM

Posted via CB10
    No.

First, if that info isn’t available, it tells me that someone has something to hide. If specs didn’t matter, nobody would reference them. Notice how nobody talks about the type of plastic that goes into the body, or the font the OS uses? These things don’t matter, for the most part, so they’re not selling features.

Secondly, I believe it would be foolish to buy under the circumstances you suggest. Sample photos to illustrate what the camera can do? C’mon. Go to Wendy’s sometime and tell them that you want a burger exactly like the one on the menu. See what they give you.

Besides, most sample phones on the shelf aren’t even connected to a network. You can’t see how well they interface with your Bluetooth devices. And as for “smoothness”, every phone I’ve ever use runs beautifully out of the box; it’s not until you load them up with Skype, Netflix, and other apps that you get to see how they handle a load. Of course, if you had some specs to look at, you’d have a better idea (though imperfect, to be sure) than if you were simply relying on what was on the shelf.

And all of that is without mentioning that tech moves very fast now. My HTC One had pretty decent specs when I got it; by this time next year, I may find that it struggles with the apps and uses I put it through. Future-proofing is tough, and the apologists that say “specs are irrelevant” are either fooling themselves, or they’ve already decided that they’re okay with their experience not improving alongside technology.

I do believe that specs can be given too much emphasis. It’s possible to have tons of horsepower, but a really unpleasant ride. But going to the other end of the spectrum, and suggesting that specs “don’t matter” is just as specious. And while it’s fair to say “the specs on this handset don’t matter, because it works fine”, that only accounts for today; there’s no telling what the experience will be in a year or two.
    10-16-13 02:18 PM

Posted via CB10
    no, because i rather a phone be future proof than one is not. i dont like buying phone every year. i like it every 2 years and still receive updates
    10-16-13 02:24 PM
    No.

First, if that info isn�t available, it tells me that someone has something to hide. If specs didn�t matter, nobody would reference them. Notice how nobody talks about the type of plastic that goes into the body, or the font the OS uses? These things don�t matter, for the most part, so they�re not selling features.

Secondly, I believe it would be foolish to buy under the circumstances you suggest. Sample photos to illustrate what the camera can do? C�mon. Go to Wendy�s sometime and tell them that you want a burger exactly like the one on the menu. See what they give you.

Besides, most sample phones on the shelf aren�t even connected to a network. You can�t see how well they interface with your Bluetooth devices. And as for �smoothness�, every phone I�ve ever use runs beautifully out of the box; it�s not until you load them up with Skype, Netflix, and other apps that you get to see how they handle a load. Of course, if you had some specs to look at, you�d have a better idea (though imperfect, to be sure) than if you were simply relying on what was on the shelf.

And all of that is without mentioning that tech moves very fast now. My HTC One had pretty decent specs when I got it; by this time next year, I may find that it struggles with the apps and uses I put it through. Future-proofing is tough, and the apologists that say �specs are irrelevant� are either fooling themselves, or they�ve already decided that they�re okay with their experience not improving alongside technology.

I do believe that specs can be given too much emphasis. It�s possible to have tons of horsepower, but a really unpleasant ride. But going to the other end of the spectrum, and suggesting that specs �don�t matter� is just as specious. And while it�s fair to say �the specs on this handset don�t matter, because it works fine�, that only accounts for today; there�s no telling what the experience will be in a year or two.
    Did the 4MP camera make a difference in you considering buying your HTC One? Yes I know it was Ultra MP, whatever that means.

Posted via CB10
    10-16-13 02:24 PM
    Will it do what you want, as good or better than other devices on the market. That is really all that matters.

Unfortunately for BlackBerry, most people today want to play Candy Crush, use Instagram and a few other main apps that BlackBerry doesn't have. So the camera, processor, memory, GPU and OS mean nothing.....
    tmanthib likes this.
    10-16-13 02:34 PM
    Did the 4MP camera make a difference in you considering buying your HTC One? Yes I know it was Ultra MP, whatever that means.

Posted via CB10
    Good question. I appreciated seeing the spec, and knowing what it was, before giving it a test drive (I test drove the One for a month before pulling the trigger). Not seeing the spec, and understanding how this camera was different, I might not have given it a fair look, as it's meant to be used a certain way.
    10-16-13 02:39 PM