Just curious....
    dendroica likes this.
    02-08-13 10:12 AM
    Ya thats what i was thinking as well. At the very least by march they will have added alot of big name apps.
    02-08-13 10:17 AM
    I hope so for you folks in the U.S,. Even though I am here in Canada I am wating till April to replace my 9900 with the Q10 new release so BB can tweak the little issues people are reporting now before they deliver my Q10. Bring on OS 10.1 please. Sometimess it's not best to get the first of new technology.
    02-08-13 10:22 AM
    I was thinking about this last night.

-Blackberry said Skype will come before US device are available
    -The Skype port needs android update to Jellybean

Add this up and you have an update to BB10 within the next month. It can be the US carriers are testing a different version of the OS and that is the reason for the delay. In this case it maybe smart since more apps will be available. Lets just hope this happens soon.
    02-08-13 10:23 AM
    I'm 99.999999999999999999% sure of this
    02-08-13 10:29 AM
    So deliver a bug ridden device to the rest of the world to work them out for the US release? I'm not thinking that's a very good strategy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-08-13 10:30 AM
    So deliver a bug ridden device to the rest of the world to work them out for the US release? I'm not thinking that's a very good strategy.

I don't think it has to do with bugs, I think it has to do with an Android player update from 2.3 to 4.1
    02-08-13 10:32 AM

It isn't a strategy. It happens with most new tech. Last year I got really excited about the new Asus Transformer Prime Tablet coming out. I couldn't wait to get my hands on one. However, following the forums when it was first released there were all kind of whiners who had problems with it. I ended up waiting four months got it form a brick and mortar store and expereinced none of the problems others reported and it worked just great. So, the moral of the story is never buy the first of anything new from any company not just BB.

BTW - Notice your message was sent form a Samsung is that an indication of your views on Blackberry?
    BoldtotheMax likes this.
    02-08-13 10:38 AM
    The Z10 can't really be treated like the first of anything, can it?

Didn't RIM/BB delayed it release for over a year, so they would have the time to "get things rights"?

How many other manufactures released thousands of developer models for developers to test their apps on (beta test the OS) six months before it's release?

Will BlackBerry release an update... do we know yet if carriers have to still do their own testing of each update like they have in the past? Or will BlackBerry be allowed to push out their own updates directly?
    tack and JeepBB like this.
    02-08-13 10:44 AM
    It could be, but I heard that BlackBerry gave the phones to all carriers at the same time, but as the procedure takes more time in US the phone is late.
    Skype runs in android 2.1+ according to Google Play.
    02-08-13 10:46 AM
    This post says otherwise for the one coming to BB10: Skype for BlackBerry 10 is an Excellent Android Port - N4BB
    02-08-13 10:56 AM
    The Z10 can't really be treated like the first of anything, can it?

Didn't RIM/BB delayed it release for over a year, so they would have the time to "get things rights"?

How many other manufactures released thousands of developer models for developers to test their apps on (beta test the OS) six months before it's release?

Will BlackBerry release an update... do we know yet if carriers have to still do their own testing of each update like they have in the past? Or will BlackBerry be allowed to push out their own updates directly?
    They delayed the release mainly waiting on the snap dragon processor... you will never get things 100% right the first time with such a complex OS.... Apple didnt get things 100% right on the first iPhone, or the 2nd iPhone, or the 3rd iPhone.... so with that said.... you will never know 100% of the problems until its in consumer's hands and they get to integrate in their own personal lives... bottom line.. and i can only hope that they get to push their own updates.... Lord please make this so...lol
    02-08-13 10:58 AM
    If no one bought products at release then you would never be new products. I chose to support blackberry on launch date knowing there might be some bugs, to help ensure the product / company sticks around long enough to get those updates out later.
    Vorkosigan and Pmungus like this.
    02-08-13 11:09 AM

It isn't "bug-ridden".

BB was in a position where they could either launch in "friendly" markets (particularly ones where the lack of Netflix and Pandora, for instance, wouldn't be as big an issue) and delay the US launch until more apps and features were in place, or delay the Canada/UK launch until the US launch was ready.

Which would you choose?
    G-bone, HKain7, battery and 11 others like this.
    02-08-13 11:10 AM
    If no one bought products at release then you would never be new products. I chose to support blackberry on launch date knowing there might be some bugs, to help ensure the product / company sticks around long enough to get those updates out later.
    I applaud people like yourself who buy things at launch and provide constructive feedback to manufacturers to help them improve the product. It is other people who buy something brand new expecting it to be perfect who are the concern. Then they winge, curse and shovel rubbish on the products manufacturer on forums like this when their device fails to be perfect. Those individuals derogitory comments are not worth the space they are posted on.

So, thank you again for your constructive feedback in helping develop a better product.
    02-08-13 11:21 AM
    We didn't get the Z10 here in the States yet because most are a bunch of sniveling b@#$hes. Sounds about right to me.

This can be said for alot of tech besides the Z10. The rest of the world market is the testbed because the US market has a slimmer tolerance level.

My patience developed over the course of owning the Storm. What I'm hearing thus far regarding issues with the Z10 seems, to me, small and petty.

I'm looking forward to the Z10; freckles and all.
    robkd, tryfe, bluetroll and 8 others like this.
    02-08-13 11:47 AM
    There is almost zero chance of 10.1 shipping on US devices, the reason for the delays in the states is due to the long test cycle so what went into the carriers labs will be almost identical to what launched in other countries and the only real changes will be carrier-specific issues that they require to be fixed prior to release as otherwise the entire test cycle would have to be restarted from the beginning pushing back the release date still further.

Beyond this point, the q10 is expected to come with 10.1 and it is not yet ready, but the hardware seems done, so that should give you a big clue as to the current status of 10.1, it aint finished yet.
    H_O_Boomaye and flyingsolid like this.
    02-08-13 12:10 PM
    It isn't "bug-ridden".

BB was in a position where they could either launch in "friendly" markets (particularly ones where the lack of Netflix and Pandora, for instance, wouldn't be as big an issue) and delay the US launch until more apps and features were in place, or delay the Canada/UK launch until the US launch was ready.

Which would you choose?
    Bug ridden...lacking basic features...whatever you want to call it.

JeepBB likes this.
    02-08-13 12:32 PM
    It isn't a strategy. It happens with most new tech. Last year I got really excited about the new Asus Transformer Prime Tablet coming out. I couldn't wait to get my hands on one. However, following the forums when it was first released there were all kind of whiners who had problems with it. I ended up waiting four months got it form a brick and mortar store and expereinced none of the problems others reported and it worked just great. So, the moral of the story is never buy the first of anything new from any company not just BB.

BTW - Notice your message was sent form a Samsung is that an indication of your views on Blackberry?
    You do see that I've been a member here since 2008 correct? I've owned a couple of BB's over the years. I had the Pearl (that's when I signed up) and the latest was the 9900. I was simply responding to what sounded like a theory that was not really well thought out.

I'm not a Samsung fanboy, although I do think they are genuinely a few steps ahead of everyone right now in the innovation department. I've owned a couple iphones (4 and 4s) and a windows phone (lumia 900). I'm on an Android kick right now, but as soon as something close to Android comes out, then I will kick them to the curb and move on. I have no brand or OS loyalty whatsoever.

02-08-13 12:37 PM
    Bug ridden...lacking basic features...whatever you want to call it.

Basic features such as? And I'm sorry but comparing to android this baby is bug free.
    02-08-13 12:41 PM

At first blush that seems like a sucky thing to do, but when you tunnel deeper you realize this has become common practice. Even the automotive brands (domestics) are releasing their global offerings elsewhere before they get to the US. The US market is extremely thickle, you DO NOT WANT to screw it up. This provides a chance to as you elude to "debug" in more forgiving markets and then tweak and release to the US. By the time Z10 gets south of the boarder the app store will be filled with better aps, the bugs will hopefully be worked out, and the people that get the phone will like it that much more. Brilliant move (if it was intentional) by BB

I take this as a compliment also, it shows that Canucks (and the Brits) are level headed enough to understand this, and won't crucify a brand because of it. I'm happy to be part of a very large beta crowd
    Bobcat665 and Thunderbuck like this.
    02-08-13 12:43 PM
    I'm sorry but this is silly.
    02-08-13 12:45 PM
    I was thinking about this last night.

-Blackberry said Skype will come before US device are available
    -The Skype port needs android update to Jellybean

Add this up and you have an update to BB10 within the next month. It can be the US carriers are testing a different version of the OS and that is the reason for the delay. In this case it maybe smart since more apps will be available. Lets just hope this happens soon.
    According to Google Play
    CURRENT VERSION:
    REQUIRES ANDROID:
    2.1 and up

The Jelly Bean runtime is something we won't see for a while. It was just announced the other day at BB Jam Europe.
    02-08-13 12:50 PM
    We Americans do thank you for beta testing all our tech.

Seriously I do suspect the delay has more than one cause. Testing may be a big part of it but if 10.1 is a player sending the software to US phone companies would have started the process over and still be true that the phones went to everyone at the same time.
    02-08-13 01:39 PM
    According to Google Play
    CURRENT VERSION:
    REQUIRES ANDROID:
    2.1 and up

The Jelly Bean runtime is something we won't see for a while. It was just announced the other day at BB Jam Europe.
    According to N4BB, they have seen the skype port running on the jellybean runtime, dont know how accurate this is, but it could mean that it isnt that far away.

"It runs so well due to the integration of support for Jellybean in an upcoming BlackBerry 10 OS update."

Skype for BlackBerry 10 is an Excellent Android Port - N4BB
    02-08-13 01:43 PM
57 123