No reason to be picky on this one. What I meant to say was that Apple taking your electronic trash for free isn't Apple just being gentle to customers (as gogurt48 made it sound), but it's Apple making money out of it. In my local home town here in Germany (30,000 citizens) we have a little waste disposal business. People can get rid of their special and bulky waste there for a few bucks, for example an old bedframe, a TV, computers and so on.

The guy is running this business beside his farm. He drives a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, because he found his Porsche 911 was too slow.
    Just because Apple makes money off it doesn't mean they're not doing me a service. If Apple can help me responsibly get rid of my old broken-down computers (including paying for the shipping) and make money at the same time, then that's a win for both of us.
    01-05-14 08:36 AM
    No reason to be picky on this one. What I meant to say was that Apple taking your electronic trash for free isn't Apple just being gentle to customers (as gogurt48 made it sound), but it's Apple making money out of it.
    Of course they're making money off of it. Apple's a business, not a charity. I'm not sure the distinction is really relevant though, since it's not as though things that don't make money are better than those that do.
    01-05-14 09:45 AM
    No reason to be picky on this one. What I meant to say was that Apple taking your electronic trash for free isn't Apple just being gentle to customers (as gogurt48 made it sound), but it's Apple making money out of it. In my local home town here in Germany (30,000 citizens) we have a little waste disposal business. People can get rid of their special and bulky waste there for a few bucks, for example an old bedframe, a TV, computers and so on.

The guy is running this business beside his farm. He drives a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder, because he found his Porsche 911 was too slow.
    Picky has nothing to do with it. You flat out said it's not a services, which is incorrect.
    01-05-14 11:34 AM
    Just because Apple makes money off it doesn't mean they're not doing me a service. If Apple can help me responsibly get rid of my old broken-down computers (including paying for the shipping) and make money at the same time, then that's a win for both of us.
    Agree.

Posted via CB10
    gogurt48 likes this.
    01-05-14 02:29 PM
    Depends on your environmental outlook.

Apple chucks the old iPhone in the trash and gives you a new one. BlackBerry takes it in for repair.

So it becomes a question of priorities. Would you rather wait for your device to be repaired or immediately get a replacement?
    They don't chuck it. There are plenty of returned iPhones in the market. Where do you people get this a stuff? Don't like the company or product so demonize and make up stupid crap? Omg
    mornhavon and CerveloJohn like this.
    01-05-14 03:25 PM
    Just want to bring things back to center by noting the thread was about things the iPhone could not do, not how expensive it is to do it. By that, many of the BB does it cheaper arguments don't apply and the original list was incorrect. But of course the haters and immature people have to stretch a Make up items to list. Lmao
    01-05-14 03:27 PM
    Not exactly. The "brand new" phone you get in exchange is a phone that broke down for another guy weeks ago and got refurbished. The broken down iPhone you bring to the Apple store to get it exchanged also gets repaired and refurbished and 4 weeks later another guy will get it as "brand new" in exchange for his broken iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    Except that it's illegal to sell a refurb as brand new, and they come with stickers inside that say refurbished. Apple won't even sell an iPhone as "brand new" if the plastic is off the box, even if the box itself has never been opened.
    m1a1mg and gogurt48 like this.
    01-05-14 07:30 PM
    Except that it's illegal to sell a refurb as brand new, and they come with stickers inside that say refurbished. Apple won't even sell an iPhone as "brand new" if the plastic is off the box, even if the box itself has never been opened.
    Does that mean that if my iPhone breaks and they give me a new one at the Apple Store, it really is a brand new, non-refurbished iPhone?
    01-05-14 09:02 PM
    Does that mean that if my iPhone breaks and they give me a new one at the Apple Store, it really is a brand new, non-refurbished iPhone?
    They could give you a refurb, but it would say on the box that it was refurbished. I don't believe they do so in their own stores though, I'm pretty sure they only do actual new ones.
    gogurt48 likes this.
    01-05-14 09:14 PM
    White box products could be new or refurbished, however, if you ask they will always tell you they're refurbished. The allegation that they sell refurb as new is just sour grapes.

Twitter: xandermac
    gogurt48 likes this.
    01-06-14 08:41 PM
    I had family staring at my Q10 over Christmas holidays lol

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    01-08-14 07:29 PM
    You didn't understand my point, or maybe I used the term "refurbished" wrong here. Anyone who honestly thinks that every iPhone that "doesn't boot up anymore" gets just thrown in the trash bin while they're handed a brand new one freshly from the production line must be totally insane. Those devices go back to a facility and just those parts of the phone that seperate them from brand new ones (i.g. the battery, all parts with abrasion) get replaced. So in some respect they ARE new. Everything else would just be stupid from Apple. "Got a slight problem with your iPhone? Just get a brand new one for free!". What I meant of course are warranty replacements. How many times have I heard guys claim that they just replace their used iPhones in Apple Stores for new ones to get more money off of it at a sale (to reinvest that money into the new model)? As if Apple would be totally insane. No company in the world can do that. As said, we don't talk about broken screen glasses or water damage caused by the user here.

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 12:10 PM
    You didn't understand my point, or maybe I used the term "refurbished" wrong here. Anyone who honestly thinks that every iPhone that "doesn't boot up anymore" gets just thrown in the trash bin while they're handed a brand new one freshly from the production line must be totally insane. Those devices go back to a facility and just those parts of the phone that seperate them from brand new ones (i.g. the battery, all parts with abrasion) get replaced. So in some respect they ARE new. Everything else would just be stupid from Apple. "Got a slight problem with your iPhone? Just get a brand new one for free!". What I meant of course are warranty replacements. How many times have I heard guys claim that they just replace their used iPhones in Apple Stores for new ones to get more money off of it at a sale (to reinvest that money into the new model)? As if Apple would be totally insane. No company in the world can do that. As said, we don't talk about broken screen glasses or water damage caused by the user here.

Posted via CB10
    Apple doesn't just give people with broken devices new ones for free. If you need a non-warranty replacement, you will pay. It's that simple. As an example, when my wife broke hers 18 months in, it cost her $200 for a new one at the Apple Store. Now, had it been a warranty issue, then she might not have paid, but that warranty lasts only one year. Even people with the extended warranty have a deductible for replacement if the replacement is for accidental damage.
    01-09-14 12:22 PM

Posted via CB10
    That's a refurbished device. Once the package is opened and the device is returned it will go back to be inspected and refurb'd. If it was someone who just wanted a different color, it will go right back out. If it had an issue, it will be repaired, tested and go back out. Both of those examples will still be considered refurbished, and must be labeled as so by law.

Now, people may just say they got a "new" one, but that doesn't necessarily mean factory new.
    01-10-14 08:56 AM
    Apple doesn't just give people with broken devices new ones for free. If you need a non-warranty replacement, you will pay.
    Which is exactly what I said: I'm talking about warranty replacements, not broken screens or any user-caused damages.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 10:53 AM
    That's a refurbished device. Once the package is opened and the device is returned it will go back to be inspected and refurb'd. If it was someone who just wanted a different color, it will go right back out. If it had an issue, it will be repaired, tested and go back out. Both of those examples will still be considered refurbished, and must be labeled as so by law.

Now, people may just say they got a "new" one, but that doesn't necessarily mean factory new.
    So you say if my iPhone doesn't boot up anymore (or whatever 'small issue' I have with it, like a headphone jack that doesn't work anymore and things like that, they throw those devices in the trash bin and get a brand new one? Because this is exactly what all those people claim. I never heard the term "refurbished" going along with that.

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 10:56 AM
    So you say if my iPhone doesn't boot up anymore (or whatever 'small issue' I have with it, like a headphone jack that doesn't work anymore and things like that, they throw those devices in the trash bin and get a brand new one? Because this is exactly what all those people claim. I never heard the term "refurbished" going along with that.

Posted via CB10
    If your question is whether Apple uses refurbished devices, the answer is yes. His point is that they can't give you a refurbished device and call it new. . . the fact that it is refurbished has to be disclosed, and the standard for what is "refurbished" is very broad.

As for where those refurbished devices come from, returns and repairs are the primary sources. But again, if it's refurbished, they have to disclose it. Now, you could always buy a new device at full price, but I think most people would rather get a "like new" device and save $400 over one that's absolutely new.
    bp3dots likes this.
    01-10-14 11:06 AM

Posted via CB10
    I didn't say anything remotely like that...
    01-10-14 04:22 PM
    Plus if you have a smart TV, you can also connect wireless no TV gadget needed

Posted via CB10
    01-10-14 07:01 PM
    I didn't say anything remotely like that...
    This all spiraled out of the "Apple throws phones in the garbage" claim that Gnomesane was making. I think that outrageous theory has been thoroughly debunked, and I think we can all safely move on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using CB Forums mobile app
    01-10-14 10:33 PM
    Never been in a school and talked to teachers have you.....this is what they do all day with these things.

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    Classroom is not a presentation for management at work.

They can use them however they want. That doesn't change or invalidate my point.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    01-11-14 01:22 AM
    Go more then 20 hrs on single charge ha ha!

IROC-Z30 But Mostly She Rocks Me!
    02-03-14 04:06 PM
    This all spiraled out of the "Apple throws phones in the garbage" claim that Gnomesane was making. I think that outrageous theory has been thoroughly debunked, and I think we can all safely move on.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using CB Forums mobile app
    Yup they do broke glass on iPad screen and paid 299.99 for a brand new one I asked at genius bar they told me they throw then out

02-03-14 04:07 PM
    After the latest update, the z30 does everything way better than an iphone. Like right from battery, to media storage, NFC, DNLA, HDMI out and all the features of BB10, the iphone doesn't come close.

Posted via CB10
    02-03-14 05:47 PM
    After the latest update, the z30 does everything way better than an iphone. Like right from battery, to media storage, NFC, DNLA, HDMI out and all the features of BB10, the iphone doesn't come close.

Posted via CB10
    Oh but wait there's an app for all those things r a proprietary cable. LMAO

02-03-14 06:21 PM
300 ... 101112