So to you awesome=cheap.
    To others awesome=quality.

For me 49 dollars for an adapter that works with both my iPhone and iPad and connects to the "standard" Hdmi cable is down right reasonable.

No need for an Apple TV. Even though I love my Apple TV, Especially with netflix, hbo to go, and the Bloomberg Channel (you don't get those with a cheap cable or a cheap dongle).
    The only cheap thing here is your answer. The real awesomeness is when a manufacturer does not force you to spend lots of money on other equipment to get basic functionality.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 10:28 AM
    The only cheap thing here is your answer. The real awesomeness is when a manufacturer does not force you to spend lots of money on other equipment to get basic functionality.

Posted via CB10
    Where exactly is the "force" here?
    12-31-13 10:31 AM
    Where exactly is the "force" here?
    Let me rephrase it for the picky ones: the real awesomeness is when you do not need to spend more money to buy proprietary equipment to get basic functionality that other manufacturers offer out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    Karan Mohal likes this.
    12-31-13 10:36 AM
    They are the ones who have been let down by BlackBerry. All the promises BlackBerry had made. PlayBook anyone? The early adopters who believed in z10 only to be left high and dry without many features.
    PlayBook? Yes I have one and for what I purchased it, it works great! BB10 would have been awesome on it, but not really needed imo. If I want BB10 on a bigger screen, I'll buy a Z30
    Early adopters are always at risk, with any new smartphone OS and/or newest model. BB10 was just launched, needed baby steps. Maybe install a leak and be amazed.

I'm pretty sure some of us has resented BlackBerry at one point or another. They haven't been the greatest company for loyal users.
    Agree with you there sorta, but it was mostly BB Management imo. Nothing wrong with BlackBerry smartphones and tablet.

And I'm not gonna lie I'm one of those who have been left with a bitter taste with BlackBerry for the broken promise of bb10 on playbook. Only sole reason for buying it. And thank god only one other person listened to me to buy the PlayBook.
    Aha! But you're really missing out on a great tablet. I enjoy mine very much. Just the way it is.

But on the other hand I don't need to go about trying to prove that bb10 is the best phone and try to one up other platforms. I'm happy with my z10 and wish it had features that the q10 and z30 has though.
    It was the first BB10 phone coming out. Nevertheless I ordered a white Z10. Long story, but I hope it gets to me in January.

Like you I have never owned anything but a BlackBerry. Don't even have anything apple related. But I can at least admit to myself that apple has some great products otherwise why would the owner of this site be using it.
    On the contrary, I still have an S3 and used to own an iPhone and Ipad. I also use a MacBook Pro to type this reply. I could never get used to my S3 (status: game phone) or iPhone. BlackBerry just works for me

Thanks for sharing
    Last edited by bombastic; 12-31-13 at 10:43 AM. Reason: typo
    12-31-13 10:40 AM
    Obviously im late to the convo... but anyone thinking an apple tv is a good alternative to an HDMI out port... Are you serious? HDMI cable costs $5, and take 2 seconds to set up (ie, plug in, done) Apple TV, come on meow.

As far as wireless goes, BB can do this without a $200 adapter - stream to my wifi-enabled tv, no 'blackberry tv' needed :P

Gotta love Apple, proprietary EVERYTHING; usb cable, charge cable, video out cable, audio and video format support.. Sure it can do everything, just spend another small fortune getting various adapters and proprietary cables and software to make it all work... I enjoy being able to use the same cables to charge my android, bb, and even non cellphone devices, because everything uses standard connections.. cept Apple of course..
    I'm sure if BlackBerry were in apple position they would have their own proprietary cables and adapters aswell. But unfortunately they aren't.

Have we heard anything about this dock yet? Or is it but a distant memory.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 10:42 AM
    Im sure that this is your opinion and is based on ... nothing.

Samsung is 'in the same position' (by which im assuming you mean selling many units) and they dont use proprietary charge/sync cables.

I'm sure if BlackBerry were in apple position they would have their own proprietary cables and adapters aswell. But unfortunately they aren't.

Have we heard anything about this dock yet? Or is it but a distant memory.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 10:44 AM
    Let me rephrase it for the picky ones: the real awesomeness is when you do not need to spend more money to buy proprietary equipment to get basic functionality that other manufacturers offer out of the box.
    Both phones require additional equipment not included with purchase of the device itself. So, you might want to reevaluate. You know, for the picky ones.
    12-31-13 10:49 AM

Posted via CB10
    You mean like a micro Hdmi to Hdmi adapter/cable. Blackberry doesn't include one and neither does apple.
    That's what we were discussing, didn't know that included basic functionality.
    shief24 likes this.
    12-31-13 10:50 AM
    Does it matter? No. Some people I know who had phones with HDMI ports never, ever used them.

I suppose you've not heard of miracast on the Z30. It's wireless.

It's simply a better experience to use something like an AppleTV or AllShare Cast Hub than to use a clunky HDMI cable. Wireless is the future.
    12-31-13 10:52 AM
    Obviously im late to the convo... but anyone thinking an apple tv is a good alternative to an HDMI out port... Are you serious? HDMI cable costs $5, and take 2 seconds to set up (ie, plug in, done) Apple TV, come on meow.

As far as wireless goes, BB can do this without a $200 adapter - stream to my wifi-enabled tv, no 'blackberry tv' needed :P

Gotta love Apple, proprietary EVERYTHING; usb cable, charge cable, video out cable, audio and video format support.. Sure it can do everything, just spend another small fortune getting various adapters and proprietary cables and software to make it all work... I enjoy being able to use the same cables to charge my android, bb, and even non cellphone devices, because everything uses standard connections.. cept Apple of course..
    I think it's a better alternative. Since it can do more than the cable can. That's not above comprehension. If you want to just share your screen you can buy a lighting to hdmi adapter. If you want to stream netflix,hulu,crackle, your music, your photos,itunes radio,imovie without wires and in 1080p then you can buy an apple TV. Apple TV does not take long to set up and is quite easy and my TV and every TV in my house does not have wifi. But the truth is buy what you want it's not about competition and im not being forced to buy an apple TV.

P.s what 200 dollar adapter?

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 10:53 AM
    blinking red light, epic feature.
    shief24 likes this.
    12-31-13 10:54 AM

Posted via CB10
    You realise BlackBerry do exactly that. Force people to spend more money to use the features.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 11:11 AM
    "Coolness goes out the door when you realize your cannot view or contribute to the family photo/video stream from your device."
    BlackBerry supports Miracast and iphone doesn't. If your an iphone user you may need to google it like I tell iphone users what NFC stands for.
    I have a z10. Don't tell me about miracast.

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 11:12 AM
    I think it's a better alternative. Since it can do more than the cable can. That's not above comprehension. If you want to just share your screen you can buy a lighting to hdmi adapter. If you want to stream netflix,hulu,crackle, your music, your photos,itunes radio,imovie without wires and in 1080p then you can buy an apple TV. Apple TV does not take long to set up and is quite easy and my TV and every TV in my house does not have wifi. But the truth is buy what you want it's not about competition and im not being forced to buy an apple TV.

P.s what 200 dollar adapter?

Posted via CB10
    Wait, what does it do (apple tv) that HDMI out doesnt? The HDMI out allows a bb10 device to stream hulu, netflix, crackle, music, radio... Im not sure why you would need an apple TV to do any of these... with BB10 and HDMI out (or miracast if you want to go wireless) , If it displays on your phone, it will display on your tv, simple as that. An apple TV is not an alternative to HDMI out, its an alternative to a WD TV live type of unit perhaps.. Tho id personally get a WDTV over apple anyday. The $200 adapter i was talking about was the apple Tv... not sure what it actually costs, but WDTV is about 80$... apple stuff is generally overpriced, so I threw $200 out there.

Out of curiousity, you said none of your TV's have wifi .. How many of your TV's have the Apple TV unit attached? And how many of these TV's came with HDMI? See where im going here?
    12-31-13 11:14 AM
    No, however blackberry does not offer an Hdmi to micro Hdmi adapter/cable either.
    au contraire:

BlackBerry High-Speed HDMI Cable (ACC-40486-101) for Z30, Q10, Z10, PlayBook | BlackBerry Audio & Video | CrackBerry Canada
    12-31-13 11:17 AM
    I suppose.. My Honda Civic can beat a Ferrari off the line too... just need a 300 shot of NOS and some sticky tires..

(had to throw a bad car analogy on here, havent seen one in a while)

I think the point was apple can do it. Not that it was better

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 11:20 AM
    Im sure that this is your opinion and is based on ... nothing.

Samsung is 'in the same position' (by which im assuming you mean selling many units) and they dont use proprietary charge/sync cables.
    It's not my opinion it's the opinion of increasing profits. When I say same position as apple, it means the product ppl want to buy and are willing to pay for it even absurd as it is they are willing to buy it because of apple logo. The demand for Apple is still so high they can pretty much do what they want.

And if BlackBerry devices were in demand like apple they would be doing the same and charging high amounts cause they know they can.
    For example the z10 definitely not worth the price they gave it when it first came out. But BlackBerry thought the demand would be so high they would charge it that. Now look at it it's selling for 200 -300 new. That's how low the demand is

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 11:21 AM
    I suppose.. My Honda Civic can beat a Ferrari off the line too... just need a 300 shot of NOS and some sticky tires..
    I'm sorry. . .is BBRY the Civic, or is it Apple?
    12-31-13 11:21 AM
    I was replying to him:

I don't suppose that cable comes with the package does it?

Posted via CB10
    The cable does not come in the box with the phone.
    12-31-13 11:29 AM
    Wow, my thread went totally off topic. Went from what my wife's iPhone can't do this holiday to Civic vs Ferrari.

Interesting reading material during the slower holiday season.

A few more notes:
    - DLNA requires that the device is connected on the same Wi-Fi network and a DLNA certified digtal media player. Miracast (my Z10 can't do) require another Miracast supported device or dongle.

My HDMI cable adapter provides me the most reliable, cheap and compatible solution to showing my video on a bigger screen. If you want to do presentations anywhere, you want this. Just go ask any conference presenter on what they think about hi-tech solutions (Murphy's best friend).

- Most cables aren't included by anyone since it saves cost. Remember when Apple removed their firewire cable?

- Yes, the blinking red light is epic.

Last day of 2013... enjoy it while it last.
    12-31-13 11:35 AM
    It is easy to poke on things the BlackBerry can't do, but there are some cool features that I was able to show off this holiday which the iPhone can't do.

1) HDMI out to TV: During the holidays, I was able to show my children's Christmas Concert video directly from my Z10 on a nice HDTV. My wife's video on the iPhone is still stuck there (she got it from another angle). I was also able to show Home Alone 2 (thanks BlackBerry!) directly from my phone.

2) Blinking red light: You look so important when family notice the red blinking light on your phone and tells you that there is something important for you. The iPhone just sits alone with little action.

3) BlackBerry's "25 days of Christmas" promo: My Z10 is loaded with games which my kids get to enjoy. Bad Piggy is their latest fav.

4) BBM Beta: Been showing off the PTT (voice memo) and GPS features coming soon on BBM.

5) BlackBerry uniqueness: Oh, you got a BlackBerry... cool, what can it do? Isn't it going bankrupted? Hey, your phone is red! I just have an iPhone 5 like millions of other people. Hey, its a conversation starter.

So overall, well done BlackBerry for the holidays. Can't wait for what's coming up next year.
    beside the incredible backward thinking that a wire is better than wireless, you basically gave up the option of walking around with the phone. so you are sitting on the dinner table and someone text you, you going to tell people hold up i need to walk to the tv to check my msg? or you leave the phone with the wire by the table and ppl have to limbo or jump over your wire? if you got chromecast and iphone it does the same thing.

btw, appletv is just not just a wireless airplay for your iphone, it is also a standalone device. so don't compare a 100 dollar device to a 10dollar wire like it is the same thing. can that wire play movie from netflix without your phone? i know the apple tv can.

the rest of your post is just silly. your whole argument was based on having a wire like it is something no other phone can then you go compare the prices as your backup argument.
    ihys likes this.
    12-31-13 12:09 PM
    Well said. We shouldn't dump on other platforms. AND we should hold our heads high.

Win, win.
    Totally, 100% agree!

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    12-31-13 12:12 PM
    Wow, my thread went totally off topic. Went from what my wife's iPhone can't do this holiday to Civic vs Ferrari.

Interesting reading material during the slower holiday season.

A few more notes:
    - DLNA requires that the device is connected on the same Wi-Fi network and a DLNA certified digtal media player. Miracast (my Z10 can't do) require another Miracast supported device or dongle.

My HDMI cable adapter provides me the most reliable, cheap and compatible solution to showing my video on a bigger screen. If you want to do presentations anywhere, you want this. Just go ask any conference presenter on what they think about hi-tech solutions (Murphy's best friend).

- Most cables aren't included by anyone since it saves cost. Remember when Apple removed their firewire cable?

- Yes, the blinking red light is epic.

Last day of 2013... enjoy it while it last.
    why are you doing presentation on your phone again? no laptop? u think people will take you serious in the conference room with a wire connected to your phone doing a presentation instead of a laptop? and last i check most ppl do presentation with a remote thats connected to their laptop instead of holding a phone with a silly wire attached to it
    12-31-13 12:13 PM
    Wrong..mate you haven't seen someone use the hdmi for presentations before?

Posted via CB10
    12-31-13 12:16 PM
    Wrong..mate you haven't seen someone use the hdmi for presentations before?

Posted via CB10
    Not in developed countries.

Posted via my Nexus 10.
    12-31-13 12:45 PM
300 ... 678910 ...