None of my friends with iPhones have the Apple TV either. And for traveling, most of the hotels have hdmi ready TVs and it has been convenient for my family to use with either my BlackBerry phone or the PlayBook. I have also found a trend in my friends who are moving away from the iPhones. A lot of them are sporting the Samsung Galaxys. I am sure that if BlackBerry get the carriers to carry and promote the BB10s, more people would be looking at the BB10s as a viable alternative.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    Yes, the more people realize Apple tricks their money for awkward and costly proprietary accessories, the more people move on, like me spending money wisely.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 09:25 PM
    The HDMI 'thing' is not common... MOST phones can't do it, not by a long shot. It's restricted to some Android phones and some BlackBerry phones as far as I know.

NO iPhones have it. Not sure about Windows phone.

So again, most phones can't do it. Including the best seller: Samsung Galaxy S4.

You should amend your statement.
    I's say his qualifier of "nor is it any different when using a different cable." Is a reasonable one. Unless you are saying that most phones can't be connected to a TV using some sort of HDMI adapter, which is incorrect.
    tack likes this.
    12-30-13 09:31 PM
    Well, let's be fair...sometimes he can be one of those people, but mostly he's fair. hehe
    Interesting. In the future, feel free to tell me if you think I'm being "one of those people." As I make an effort to not be, I would gladly clarify for you any statement which might give you that impression.
    12-30-13 09:36 PM
    It's interesting. Most devices nowadays can do similar things. Now it's a question of how well they do it. In my experience, BB10 does everything very well, to the extent that I don't even think about it.

Of course I can output to a peripheral device, wirelessly or with a cheap common wire.

Of course I can save or retrieve a file to/from the cloud from this app.

Of course I can pair with my car, get directions, listen to music, get notifications, join conference calls hands-free.

A lot of phones can do these things nowadays. It's just that BB10 does them all so easily and so well.

I don't think we should dump on other platforms, but we do have every right to hold our heads high, secure in the knowledge that we got what works best for us, and to heck with fashion/marketing/PR.
    12-30-13 09:38 PM
    I's say his qualifier of "nor is it any different when using a different cable." Is a reasonable one. Unless you are saying that most phones can't be connected to a TV using some sort of HDMI adapter, which is incorrect.
    I'm aware you can connect some Android phones via the MHL adapter if that's what you mean.

Is connecting via MHL as seamless as HDMI for the average user? Just curious, never had to do it.
    12-30-13 09:42 PM
    Now this has just turned into one big pissing match. It's already been shown the iPhone can do everything in the list. If was not the OP's intention to solicit rebuttal he probably should've left iPhone out of the title. I'm done with this before degrades even further.

Twitter: xandermac
    12-30-13 09:45 PM
    I don't think we should dump on other platforms, but we do have every right to hold our heads high, secure in the knowledge that we got what works best for us, and to heck with fashion/marketing/PR.
    Well said. We shouldn't dump on other platforms. AND we should hold our heads high.

Win, win.
    TgeekB likes this.
    12-30-13 09:46 PM
    I'm aware you can connect some Android phones via the MHL adapter if that's what you mean.

Is connecting via MHL as seamless as HDMI for the average user? Just curious, never had to do it.
    I don't belive you have to do anything fancy, but I haven't done it myself either. I think for both, the biggest hurdle is having to actually have the required adapter/cable wherever you are.
    12-30-13 09:46 PM
    Now this has just turned into one big pissing match. It's already been shown the iPhone can do everything in the list. If was not the OP's intention to solicit rebuttal he probably should've left iPhone out of the title. I'm done with this before degrades even further.

Twitter: xandermac
    It shouldn't be a pissing match.

And you shouldn't chicken out either. All of us need to support one another against the stupid fanboy arguments regardless.

Time for the adults to assert themselves regardless of platform, no?
    12-30-13 09:48 PM
    I don't belive you have to do anything fancy, but I haven't done it myself either. I think for both, the biggest hurdle is having to actually have the required adapter/cable wherever you are.
    Cheers. I've been curious about it. I have an Xperia phone backup, might have to make the trip to Best Buy and get the cable to try it out. Will let you know!
    12-30-13 09:53 PM
    The HDMI 'thing' is not common... MOST phones can't do it, not by a long shot. It's restricted to some Android phones and some BlackBerry phones as far as I know.

So again, most phones can't do it. Including the best seller: Samsung Galaxy S4.

I thought they said an iPhone can do it with an adapter cable?
    12-30-13 09:58 PM
    I thought they said an iPhone can do it with an adapter cable?
    As far as I know you need to buy the Apple TV box to stream to your television...
    12-30-13 10:02 PM
    As far as I know you need to buy the Apple TV box to stream to your television...
    Nope. Amazon.com: Lightning Digital AV Adapter: MP3 Players & Accessories
    12-30-13 10:26 PM
    You can actually watch videos, pictures, and listen to music wireless. BB10 has something little people seldom known about. It is called media sharing via DLNA devices. No Apple TV or Micro HDMI cable needed...

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 11:08 PM
    There is a story about a man and wife who handed their iPad to the children to keep them busy while the couple slipped in to their bedroom. They apparently thought it would be fun to take pictures of their activities. However, they forgot those would automatically show up on the iPad. Until they heard the children making sounds of disgust. That may be one of those things you can't unsee.
    This made me laugh and is my vote for best post of the thread. Regardless of what platform you use, like or hate, these folks are proof that tech is not for everybody.
    12-30-13 11:38 PM
    Ok, so instead of spending $130 on an Apple box you can spend $52 on a third party cable...

You're not selling me on Apple...

By comparison I can spend about 20 bucks on a micro-hdmi cable for BB10 or Android that does the same thing!
    12-30-13 11:45 PM
    Ok, so instead of spending $130 on an Apple box you can spend $52 on a third party cable...

You're not selling me on Apple...

By comparison I can spend about 20 bucks on a micro-hdmi cable for BB10 or Android that does the same thing!
    Hey now, I never said it was cheap, just that it was possible!
    12-30-13 11:47 PM
    I'm right with you on that. This could've been a great BB story, but instead it turned into another opportunity to bash the iPhone. I don't understand why people here are so hostile towards other platforms.
    It's because deep down they are really jealous of other platforms and bitter about there phone and trying to justify their purchase. By anything possible to make it seem like they made the right choice in a phone.

They just don't know it yet but they see what other platforms can do, and want BlackBerry to be able to do it as well. But will keep on being in denial till the end.

They can't handle a dose of truth

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 11:50 PM
    Smh at these corporate slaves. Hdmi is standard. Apple TV is not. Plus, requiring Apple TV is not the same as using hdmi. You have to get Apple TV to use that. WTF? Smh for real.

Stop being corporate slaves. Ther are things blackberrys do better than iPhones and vice versa, deal with it.
    m1a1mg and Karan Mohal like this.
    12-31-13 12:20 AM
    I seriously don't even know what people are arguing over anymore.

Miracast and Airplay are comparable features. Currently only the Z30 (and Q10 I think?) supports miracast in the BB10 line. Requires a handset that supports it and a supported TV set, HDMI dongle, or Apple TV to receive.
    - Display mirroring, play content from phone on TV functionality. Apple's proprietary implementation might allow more functionality, since Miracast is not widely used.

DLNA aka Wifi Direct is supported on all BB10 phones. Not sure what the iPhone equivalent would be here.
    - "Media server" mode for your phone. Smart TV or Roku connects to phone and can navigate music, photos, videos shared from device.

"Wired" external display. Both platforms have cables or adapters to accomplish this.
    - Display mirroring, presentation mode. Experience depends on software for what can be done while video is playing, etc...
    DLNA and Wi-Fi Direct are not the same thing, lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    12-31-13 12:51 AM
    I do believe that a BlackBerry does SOME things better than an iPhone. It shouldn't be such a big pissing match because we know the iPhone is winning the overall war.

Some of the rebuttals like how a flash from the camera flash for notification is the same as the blinking red light OR how a generic HDMI cable is like a proprietary cable/device is like comparing apples to ... um... blackberries. Not the same. Please don't consider them the same.

IPhone wins in many battles, but not all of them. Accept that. 2013 is almost over and let's see what 2014 will bring.

Happy New Year!
    12-31-13 12:51 AM
    (Off topic)

I generally find the Android forums just fine, and mush less busy than this one. The debates are usually more between Android brands or maybe Android/iPhone, and BB or WP rarely turn up in threads I see. When I post there, It's more question and answer, or helping out. However, I like the folks I've been posting with and reading for years, and the debates here on CB. And I find my posting here is more clarifying and corrections. (Or just opinion chat.)

On topic - (ish) The title specifically said iOS couldn't do those things, yet the OP got mad when people showed several ways that it could (And really, the OP knew at lease some of those to begin with.) As 21st said, had the title been about how OP did such cool things with his BB, I doubt the would have seen as much rebuttal. I certainly wouldn't have posted my response. Heck, I don't even like iOS, but I also think it's poor form to boost one's favorite by being misleading. As both have their ups and downs, there's really no reason to have to make up deficiencies in one. At least we can still be a forum where someone could come to learn about the platforms and get accurate information, which used to be a huge draw for CB over other forums.
    We've been saying that for years now, literally. They don't learn. Misting the "debate" here are people correcting percieved misinformation in other peoples posts.

I really don't care what anyone uses. I don't even use an iPhone.

12-31-13 12:56 AM

Samsung phones are MHL compatible meaning they can output to HDMI using a dongle, since the first Galaxy S in 2010. So... You're wrong there.

Being specific is a nice tactic but anyone who cares about this only cares about the specific issue that needs a solution: outputting HD to a television.

iOS, Android, Blackberry can all do this. Windows phone in not sure.

Samsung has MiraCast support as well.

Many Motorola, HTC, Sony and other phones have HDMI out. The reason why they stopped putting it in a lot of phones is because no one used it.

I'd take a marginally better camera over an HDMI port, personally...

12-31-13 01:09 AM
    No, however blackberry does not offer an Hdmi to micro Hdmi adapter/cable either.
    I have one though BlackBerry call it a "high-speed HDMI cable".
    My girlfriend got it from BlackBerry Live 2013.

The BlackBerry shop has them listed too.
    https://forums.crackberry.com/e?link...token=PB8lr3Jb

Attachment 234811
    12-31-13 01:13 AM

You plug the adapter into the phone and the hdmi cable into the adapter and tv. The only difference is the adapter, which allows for you notably have to avoid putting an extra port in the phone.

Tl;dr - the adapter basically doesn't even matter. Its neither more or less seamless. It simply is what it is.

12-31-13 01:14 AM
300 ... 45678 ...