I've just seen one that does both airplay and miracast for �16.99, everybody happy lol
    have you looked at the reviews ? I've seen these also and to say that they are hit or miss is genreous. I dont see apple liscencing out airplay to these fly by night companies that no one has ever heard of when all it does is cannibalize apple tv sales.
    12-30-13 01:25 PM
    I stand corrected then. why do most of these "dual purpose" dongles often have extremely limited functionality ( i,.e music but no movies etc) and why are they from companies I've never head from ?
    12-30-13 01:27 PM
    correct me if I am wrong, but is this not an iphone to thunderbolt port... not an iphone to HDMI? I thought you were arguing the point that iphone can connect straight to television. If so, there is an adapter (that costs about $70, or $30 if you buy a rocketfish version) but that does not appear to be what you have pictured here. Plus, even then, you would still need yet another hdmi cable to run to your tv from the adapter.
    Actually the adapter cost $49 from apple.

How is that any different than the op using a micro Hdmi adapter?

I have no use for a propriatery micro Hdmi to Hdmi cable.

I have a spare Hdmi cable but I have yet to actually pull it out, the tvs usually have more than one Hdmi cable connected, plug and play (with the adapter.
    12-30-13 02:02 PM
    I seriously don't even know what people are arguing over anymore.

Miracast and Airplay are comparable features. Currently only the Z30 (and Q10 I think?) supports miracast in the BB10 line. Requires a handset that supports it and a supported TV set, HDMI dongle, or Apple TV to receive.
    - Display mirroring, play content from phone on TV functionality. Apple's proprietary implementation might allow more functionality, since Miracast is not widely used.

DLNA aka Wifi Direct is supported on all BB10 phones. Not sure what the iPhone equivalent would be here.
    - "Media server" mode for your phone. Smart TV or Roku connects to phone and can navigate music, photos, videos shared from device.

"Wired" external display. Both platforms have cables or adapters to accomplish this.
    - Display mirroring, presentation mode. Experience depends on software for what can be done while video is playing, etc...
    12-30-13 02:19 PM
    When was the last time you visited imore? Because you seem uninformed about what they do and don't do there

Posted via CB10
    I rarely see them even mentioning BB there. In the rare cases that they actually do its people who are on here. The only time I usually see a mention of other platforms as enough to warrant an entire thread is when people have recently switched or are considering switching.
    12-30-13 02:22 PM
    ^^^^^^^@ "Unbiased" Tech oh the voice of reason has arrived looooooooool -_-.. Still OP you knew this was going to happen when you started this thread. This is not CB nation anymore, its called......... The forum formerly known as Crackberry
    Wow didn't know I had a fan lol. I don't care that people like their phones and the many benefits that BB offers. I just don't get why people try to belittle other platforms when doing so. Its like saying Burger King is good because McDonald's sucks. Why not just say Burger King is good because you like their menu? I feel like a thread mentioning "limitations" of an ios device should be on IMore. Why do I a BlackBerry user care what an iPhone can and can't do?
    look_alive, 93Aero and 21stNow like this.
    12-30-13 02:43 PM
    Fanboys will fuss and fight about literally ANYTHING. The OP was a perfect example of click-bait stupidity, and 99% of the responses are as well. If anyone ever wonders why Crackberry has become the laughingstock of the tech blog world, this post is a prime example.
    93Aero, Unbiased Tech and Donvald like this.
    12-30-13 02:51 PM
    You attach this to your TVs HDMI port, and turn on the input it is associated with (just like for the cable). Then, on your iOS device, you swipe up from the bottom of the screen to open the Control Center. Then you touch "AirPlay", then you select the device (the TV/dongle) and then you are done.
    That's so complicated, I believe on a BlackBerry it's attach the cable to both your TV & phone. Switch on & enjoy.

Posted via CB10
    No less complicated than pairing a bluetooth device. If bluetooth paring is above your skill set, then yes this is too much for you.

Not to mention you don't have to worry about wires.
    12-30-13 02:55 PM
    I carry both daily why limit yourself.
    Things the iPhone can't do this holiday with the family-img_00000771.jpg
    Things the iPhone can't do this holiday with the family-img_0694.jpg

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 03:01 PM
    Good list op, sorry to see it ruined by the same six haters that go in to other positive threads and say it's useless, this 100 dollar extra purchase needed device does the same, blah blah blah.

At least we know, they can sit sipping their lattes in denial of how blackberry will get better.

Glad you enjoyed your holidays.

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    miker476 likes this.
    12-30-13 03:09 PM
    iOS users must be geniuses then. You are insulting your own intelligence now.

On BB it's almost the same. You plug something in, you switch the input and you are done. On iOS you just have to acknowledge that you actually want your screen to show on the TV with airplay/ airplay mirroring. This is a good thing if you leave the dongle in while you don't want it to be used, otherwise you will always be broadcasting your screen on the TV for no reason.
    (facepalm).....clueless.....

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    12-30-13 03:10 PM
    Wow didn't know I had a fan lol. I don't care that people like their phones and the many benefits that BB offers. I just don't get why people try to belittle other platforms when doing so. Its like saying Burger King is good because McDonald's sucks. Why not just say Burger King is good because you like their menu? I feel like a thread mentioning "limitations" of an ios device should be on IMore. Why do I a BlackBerry user care what an iPhone can and can't do?
    Yes, you have fans! I agree that the thread would have been better if it had been presented as "How I used my BlackBerry during my holiday celebration" rather than making a comparison to an iPhone. The notification LED point was a reach that no one should ever make.
    Unbiased Tech and bp3dots like this.
    12-30-13 03:26 PM
    - Lame ....
    12-30-13 03:43 PM
    Awesome. iOS users can do the same thing with an Apple TV, wirelessly. This will work with all their iOS devices. Obviously the iPhone can't connect to HDMI because it doesn't have a hardware port, but there are Thunderbolt to HDMI adaptors as well.

Yes, this is a great feature that BB has. But a user can allow for the LED flash to do the same thing for notifications. It's just on the back of the phone which can be inconvenient if you keep you phone laying on its back while out of your pocket. But if you are using this feature you probably wont do that.

iOS has more free games than BB10 has games period. That will never been an issue on iOS. iOS is also having holiday promos as well.

Yes that is very cool. The iOS version isn't as full featured as the BB10 version.

Yes it is unique. Although, five ears ago they were everywhere.

Anyway, happy holidays! Every platform is great in its own way.
    Thanks for responding intelligently and pleasantly about how iPhone can match BlackBerry in its own way without being a sarcastic pr1ck.

You are a great, and welcome, addition to CrackBerry.
    look_alive likes this.
    12-30-13 07:54 PM
    No one should care, you're absolutely right. I like my Z10, and it doesn't matter to me if my friends prefer Android or iOS, etc.

Or legacy BBOS for that matter.

What's funny about this forum / site is that there are so many Android users that feel the need to weigh in on BB10. Given that BlackBerry has abandoned the consumer market and sales are so low it's curious to me that they continue to hang around.

Since we all know Android is winning the mobile war, my guess is that they come to a BB site because the Android forums are so saturated with fans that their voice gets drowned out so they come here to get heard. And feel important about themselves.

Can't think of a reason otherwise.
    12-30-13 08:06 PM
    No one should care, you're absolutely right. I like my Z10, and it doesn't matter to me if my friends prefer Android or iOS, etc.

Or legacy BBOS for that matter.

What's funny about this forum / site is that there are so many Android users that feel the need to weigh in on BB10. Given that BlackBerry has abandoned the consumer market and sales are so low it's curious to me that they continue to hang around.

Since we all know Android is winning the mobile war, my guess is that they come to a BB site because the Android forums are so saturated with fans that their voice gets drowned out so they come here to get heard. And feel important about themselves.

Can't think of a reason otherwise.
    (Off topic)

I generally find the Android forums just fine, and mush less busy than this one. The debates are usually more between Android brands or maybe Android/iPhone, and BB or WP rarely turn up in threads I see. When I post there, It's more question and answer, or helping out. However, I like the folks I've been posting with and reading for years, and the debates here on CB. And I find my posting here is more clarifying and corrections. (Or just opinion chat.)

On topic - (ish) The title specifically said iOS couldn't do those things, yet the OP got mad when people showed several ways that it could (And really, the OP knew at lease some of those to begin with.) As 21st said, had the title been about how OP did such cool things with his BB, I doubt the would have seen as much rebuttal. I certainly wouldn't have posted my response. Heck, I don't even like iOS, but I also think it's poor form to boost one's favorite by being misleading. As both have their ups and downs, there's really no reason to have to make up deficiencies in one. At least we can still be a forum where someone could come to learn about the platforms and get accurate information, which used to be a huge draw for CB over other forums.
    12-30-13 08:23 PM
    (Off topic)

I generally find the Android forums just fine, and mush less busy than this one. The debates are usually more between Android brands or maybe Android/iPhone, and BB or WP rarely turn up in threads I see. When I post there, It's more question and answer, or helping out. However, I like the folks I've been posting with and reading for years, and the debates here on CB. And I find my posting here is more clarifying and corrections. (Or just opinion chat.)

On topic - (ish) The title specifically said iOS couldn't do those things, yet the OP got mad when people showed several ways that it could (And really, the OP knew at lease some of those to begin with.) As 21st said, had the title been about how OP did such cool things with his BB, I doubt the would have seen as much rebuttal. I certainly wouldn't have posted my response. Heck, I don't even like iOS, but I also think it's poor form to boost one's favorite by being misleading. As both have their ups and downs, there's really no reason to have to make up deficiencies in one. At least we can still be a forum where someone could come to learn about the platforms and get accurate information, which used to be a huge draw for CB over other forums.
    I'm right with you on that. This could've been a great BB story, but instead it turned into another opportunity to bash the iPhone. I don't understand why people here are so hostile towards other platforms.
    bp3dots, tack and mikeo007 like this.
    12-30-13 08:34 PM
    I'm right with you on that. This could've been a great BB story, but instead it turned into another opportunity to bash the iPhone. I don't understand why people here are so hostile towards other platforms.
    True...but even if the OP had just called it: "A Great Holiday, Thanks to my BB10" and not mentioned the iPhone once; a fanboi would have popped in and gone "I bet iPhone/Android/WP can't do that!" or "Yeah but iPhone/Android/WP can do that better!" and sparking this entire thread.

There are just too many people on this forum that are looking to bash other platforms...
    collinc93, RedFoxOne and bombastic like this.
    12-30-13 08:42 PM
    (Off topic)

Fair points! To be clear, I've always respected your opinion and read what you had to say on this forum as a result!

Personally, I've used all the platforms but imo this forum has become a dumping ground for negativity surrounding BlackBerry. I'm not blind to the faults of the new platform or the company but it gets annoying from time to time to listen to some of the more vocal critics who contribute NOTHING to the discussion...

You're not one of those people, just to be clear. Personally, I'd love it if this forum was populated with pro and anti BlackBerry users, just so long as both sides made an intelligent argument either way.

Instead we get the fanboy vs troll arguments dominating and wiping out any kind of intelligent discussion!

Anyway, cheers my friend!
    bp3dots and m1a1mg like this.
    12-30-13 08:53 PM
    Fair points! To be clear, I've always respected your opinion and read what you had to say on this forum as a result!

Personally, I've used all the platforms but imo this forum has become a dumping ground for negativity surrounding BlackBerry. I'm not blind to the faults of the new platform or the company but it gets annoying from time to time to listen to some of the more vocal critics who contribute NOTHING to the discussion...

You're not one of those people, just to be clear. Personally, I'd love it if this forum was populated with pro and anti BlackBerry users, just so long as both sides made an intelligent argument either way.

Instead we get the fanboy vs troll arguments dominating and wiping out any kind of intelligent discussion!

Anyway, cheers my friend!
    Well, let's be fair...sometimes he can be one of those people, but mostly he's fair. hehe
    12-30-13 08:59 PM
    ...your name does the trick...now walk the walk
    12-30-13 09:02 PM
    Well, let's be fair...sometimes he can be one of those people, but mostly he's fair. hehe
    I guess it's relative, but I've found bp3dots to be intelligent and fair in his criticisms. I may not have agreed with him but he made his case, and I can certainly respect that.
    12-30-13 09:03 PM
    Hate iPhone...love bb10

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 09:04 PM
    The HDMI thing is not unique to BB10 nor is it any different when using a different cable. Nearly every phone can do it.

Lame thread for sure. Don't try so hard to seem superior.
    12-30-13 09:12 PM
    The HDMI thing is not unique to BB10 nor is it any different when using a different cable. Nearly every phone can do it.

Lame thread for sure. Don't try so hard to seem superior.
    The HDMI 'thing' is not common... MOST phones can't do it, not by a long shot. It's restricted to some Android phones and some BlackBerry phones as far as I know.

NO iPhones have it. Not sure about Windows phone.

So again, most phones can't do it. Including the best seller: Samsung Galaxy S4.

You should amend your statement.
    12-30-13 09:23 PM
300 ... 34567 ...