^^^^^^^@ "Unbiased" Tech oh the voice of reason has arrived looooooooool -_-.. Still OP you knew this was going to happen when you started this thread. This is not CB nation anymore, its called......... The forum formerly known as Crackberry
    12-30-13 12:08 PM
    ^^^^^^^@ "Unbiased" Tech oh the voice of reason has arrived looooooooool -_-.. Still OP you knew this was going to happen when you started this thread. This is not CB nation anymore, its called......... The forum formerly known as Crackberry
    Well what is the title of the thread?

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 12:14 PM
    The OP admitted to having to carry can additional adapter.

Here's a wireless Airplay one:
    Generic Mini AirPlay DLNA Wifi HDMI Display Dongle Receiver for Smartphone Tablet PC
    The OP was prepared in advance. Now is wife ca be prepared in advance.

Attachment 234592
    How do I attach this to my iPhone?
    12-30-13 12:43 PM
    I thought it would be nice to point out some advantages BlackBerry has during the holidays. I mean, there are tons of articles around the net of stuff it can't do.

Here's a recap for people following the thread:
    - It is Micro-HDMI ... not Mini if you want to get an adapter. Note: this adapter is a universal one and can be used with other micro-HDMI devices (tablets, smartphones).
    - There is an adapter also for Apple, but it would most likely cost more since it is properietary.
    - Z30's USB Host Mode can be useful to connect standard USB devices. If you want to, you can basically use it to suck in images from your digital camera (non-WiFi version) to be posted on the web without a computer. This activity could be hard for some people.
    - iPhone and Android have a lot of apps! Good to know.
    - iCloud can share images. You must have a good data plan or find someplace that has WiFi.
    - Some people prefer flashing white light over red blinking light.

Did I miss anything?
    jrohland likes this.
    12-30-13 12:45 PM
    Wow, after reading this thread to thus far, it's the typically guy **** measuring contest. "Mine is bigger than yours." Enjoy your device, no matter which one you use. IMHO, cables are so 1990.
    12-30-13 12:46 PM
    Wireless is the future.
    That's why we use Miracast
    Something else that the iPhone doesn't have.
    .....though I'm sure someone will point out that you can buy an expensive Miracast dongle for the iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    I dont think ios does, or will ever do, miracast at all ( although you can buy dongles or reveivers with airplay, its not just an apple TV). there are some places that sell " miracast + airplay" dongles and I am sure that some of them might work, but so far it seems that the vast majority of them are hit and miss and I suspect that they are not paying apple liscencing fees ( some are music only and everyone is from a company you have never heard about before).

And coming from the fragmented world of android, these Wireless display technologies are simply designed to give people headaches trying to figure it out, despite all being based on wi-fi direct. I got an elcheepo miracast dongle from best buy and after upgrading the firmware it is actually pretty impressive when linked to an asus T100T and miracast support is supposed to be baked into win 8.1. but the novelty fades pretty quick.

If I was going somewhere ( like to someones house or a hotel) and simply wanted to play commercial movies from my phone, a chromecast dongle and any android phone is more than enough. If I needed to mirror or extend the screen, a miracast dongle and convertible laptop/tablet does the trick.

Although the micro dhmi to hdmi cable will certainly work.
    12-30-13 12:49 PM
    Some people prefer flashing white light over red blinking light.
    Did I miss anything?
    People could try a smartwatch for notifications. I'm currently testing some to decide which to stick with. I'm hoping the GalaxyGear gets iPhone support...
    12-30-13 12:49 PM
    wirelessly through airplay. The connector is a HDMI that plugs into the TV and the rest of it is a wireless receiver for airplay, which may, or may not, be limited to music and or movies.

essentially that is a less validated, small and ultraportable apple TV with at least some of the properties of an apple TV that is the basis of the " home for the holidays" TV add that apple is running.
    12-30-13 12:53 PM
    I'm assuming there is a split to a power source. You can't charge from a TV hdmi, right?

You can also charge your BlackBerry while it's connected to hdmi.

Posted via CB10
    I provided a picture, no need for assumptions
    12-30-13 12:58 PM
    You attach this to your TVs HDMI port, and turn on the input it is associated with (just like for the cable). Then, on your iOS device, you swipe up from the bottom of the screen to open the Control Center. Then you touch "AirPlay", then you select the device (the TV/dongle) and then you are done.
    12-30-13 01:02 PM
    It's micro hdmi, not mini.

The only thing really worth noting are #2 and #1, the native mini-HDMI out. But even then, it's still another cable one has to buy (a micro version at that), which is the same as someone with an iPhone buying an Apple cable...

#4 BBM Beta PTT... why would you list something beta? Anyway, iPhone users have the same functionality for free. They can just download Viber or similar app. And before you give me the whole, "Yeah, but it's not baked into the OS! It's an app!" let me remind you that the feature you speak of had to be downloaded and installed onto your phone (just like an app would). And before you come back with, "Yeah, but once it passes Beta, it'll be a native feature to the OS," I'll just point to the millions upon millions of iOS users who don't give a damn whether or not it's baked into the OS; if the phone can do it and it works, then it makes no difference. If that is the only defense against the so-called app gap, then I guess EVERY app needs to be baked into the OS. It seems when a competitor can offer something BBRY can not, fan boys will immediately refute with, "B-b-bu-but... it's an app, not native in the OS..."

#3 and #5 are a joke. #2 Blinking red light, I have profound nostalgia for.
    And that is why Apple needs a million apps to function whilst others come built in. BlackBerry media share works with any smart TV apparently. Can someone please verify that.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 01:07 PM
    correct me if I am wrong, but is this not an iphone to thunderbolt port... not an iphone to HDMI? I thought you were arguing the point that iphone can connect straight to television. If so, there is an adapter (that costs about $70, or $30 if you buy a rocketfish version) but that does not appear to be what you have pictured here. Plus, even then, you would still need yet another hdmi cable to run to your tv from the adapter.
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    12-30-13 01:09 PM
    You attach this to your TVs HDMI port, and turn on the input it is associated with (just like for the cable). Then, on your iOS device, you swipe up from the bottom of the screen to open the Control Center. Then you touch "AirPlay", then you select the device (the TV/dongle) and then you are done.
    Ah, I see. It seems pretty straight forward. Checking the reviews from Amazon however, your mileage may vary.
    12-30-13 01:10 PM
    OP, I'm glad you're happy with your BB10 device. Don't let the bitterness drag you down, those people clearly have nothing better to do than to put down each and every positive post. The point of the matter is that BB10 works great for the OP and does so without the need for adaptors or any other non-standard BS.
    12-30-13 01:12 PM
    The one he pictured is "wireless", its a beautiful thing.

correct me if I am wrong, but is this not an iphone to thunderbolt port... not an iphone to HDMI? I thought you were arguing the point that iphone can connect straight to television. If so, there is an adapter (that costs about $70, or $30 if you buy a rocketfish version) but that does not appear to be what you have pictured here. Plus, even then, you would still need yet another hdmi cable to run to your tv from the adapter.
    12-30-13 01:12 PM
    That's so complicated, I believe on a BlackBerry it's attach the cable to both your TV & phone. Switch on & enjoy.

Posted via CB10
    12-30-13 01:14 PM
    And that is why Apple needs a million apps to function whilst others come built in. BlackBerry media share works with any smart TV apparently. Can someone please verify that.

Posted via CB10
    Go tell that to all the people loving the Android run time and are loving 10.2.1. Those Android apps all come built in right?
    12-30-13 01:15 PM
    I provided a picture, no need for assumptions
    Still need to assume ...if you are referring to this picture.

Things the iPhone can't do this holiday with the family-8ymaqyhe.jpg

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    By default, it just plays what you have on your phone (kind of cool). You get a copy of your phone display on the TV.

You can have media playback to be different also.
    For BlackBerry Express, your phone will be the controller and the HDMI out will be the actual presentation.
    For the video player, your phone will have the video controls while the HDMI out will be the actual movie.

I believe for the iPhone, you need to specifically output your playback through something (AppleTV). I don't believe it clones your display. Someone will correct me if I am wrong here.
    I've just seen one that does both airplay and miracast for �16.99, everybody happy lol
    avt123 likes this.
    12-30-13 01:16 PM
    That's so complicated, I believe on a BlackBerry it's attach the cable to both your TV & phone. Switch on & enjoy.

Posted via CB10
    iOS users must be geniuses then. You are insulting your own intelligence now.

On BB it's almost the same. You plug something in, you switch the input and you are done. On iOS you just have to acknowledge that you actually want your screen to show on the TV with airplay/ airplay mirroring. This is a good thing if you leave the dongle in while you don't want it to be used, otherwise you will always be broadcasting your screen on the TV for no reason.
    12-30-13 01:17 PM
    I believe for the iPhone, you need to specifically output your playback through something (AppleTV). I don't believe it clones your display. Someone will correct me if I am wrong here.
    It can do both, it can either play back a movie full screen (airplay) or mirror your entire display (airplay mirroring)..
    12-30-13 01:18 PM
    Ah, I see. It seems pretty straight forward. Checking the reviews from Amazon however, your mileage may vary.
    This is absolutely true, and as a word of caution, if you see any dongle being listed as miracast + airplay, I would be very very skeptical.

to the best of my knowledge apple does not SELL an airplay dongle ( the apple tv is not a dongle in my book) and cannot see why they would liscence it to others if its going to cannibalize their apple tv sales. And a lot of the ones that say that they are liscencing airplay often have very limited functionality or do not work at all. this is also true of some airplay certified receivers.
    12-30-13 01:22 PM
    I've just seen one that does both airplay and miracast for �16.99, everybody happy lol
    That's awesome. Catering to everyone. No one can ***** now. lol
    12-30-13 01:22 PM
    This is absolutely true, and as a word of caution, if you see any dongle being listed as miracast + airplay, I would be very very skeptical.

to the best of my knowledge apple does not SELL an airplay dongle ( the apple tv is not a dongle in my book) and cannot see why they would liscence it to others if its going to cannibalize their apple tv sales. And a lot of the ones that say that they are liscencing airplay often have very limited functionality or do not work at all. this is also true of some airplay certified receivers.
    Apple offer airplay API to any hardware maker. Wireless speakers are the most common use.

Twitter: xandermac
    12-30-13 01:24 PM
300 ... 23456 ...