It is easy to poke on things the BlackBerry can't do, but there are some cool features that I was able to show off this holiday which the iPhone can't do.

1) HDMI out to TV: During the holidays, I was able to show my children's Christmas Concert video directly from my Z10 on a nice HDTV. My wife's video on the iPhone is still stuck there (she got it from another angle). I was also able to show Home Alone 2 (thanks BlackBerry!) directly from my phone.

2) Blinking red light: You look so important when family notice the red blinking light on your phone and tells you that there is something important for you. The iPhone just sits alone with little action.

3) BlackBerry's "25 days of Christmas" promo: My Z10 is loaded with games which my kids get to enjoy. Bad Piggy is their latest fav.

4) BBM Beta: Been showing off the PTT (voice memo) and GPS features coming soon on BBM.

5) BlackBerry uniqueness: Oh, you got a BlackBerry... cool, what can it do? Isn't it going bankrupted? Hey, your phone is red! I just have an iPhone 5 like millions of other people. Hey, its a conversation starter.

So overall, well done BlackBerry for the holidays. Can't wait for what's coming up next year.
    12-29-13 01:21 PM
    It is easy to poke on things the BlackBerry can't do, but there are some cool features that I was able to show off this holiday which the iPhone can't do.

1) HDMI out to TV: During the holidays, I was able to show my children's Christmas Concert video directly from my Z10 on a nice HDTV. My wife's video on the iPhone is still stuck there (she got it from another angle). I was also able to show Home Alone 2 (thanks BlackBerry!) directly from my phone.
    Awesome. iOS users can do the same thing with an Apple TV, wirelessly. This will work with all their iOS devices. Obviously the iPhone can't connect to HDMI because it doesn't have a hardware port, but there are Thunderbolt to HDMI adaptors as well.

2) Blinking red light: You look so important when family notice the red blinking light on your phone and tells you that there is something important for you. The iPhone just sits alone with little action.
    Yes, this is a great feature that BB has. But a user can allow for the LED flash to do the same thing for notifications. It's just on the back of the phone which can be inconvenient if you keep you phone laying on its back while out of your pocket. But if you are using this feature you probably wont do that.

3) BlackBerry's "25 days of Christmas" promo: My Z10 is loaded with games which my kids get to enjoy. Bad Piggy is their latest fav.
    iOS has more free games than BB10 has games period. That will never been an issue on iOS. iOS is also having holiday promos as well.

4) BBM Beta: Been showing off the PTT (voice memo) and GPS features coming soon on BBM.
    Yes that is very cool. The iOS version isn't as full featured as the BB10 version.

5) BlackBerry uniqueness: Oh, you got a BlackBerry... cool, what can it do? Isn't it going bankrupted? Hey, your phone is red! I just have an iPhone 5 like millions of other people. Hey, its a conversation starter.

So overall, well done BlackBerry for the holidays. Can't wait for what's coming up next year.
    Yes it is unique. Although, five ears ago they were everywhere.

Anyway, happy holidays! Every platform is great in its own way.
    12-29-13 01:32 PM
    Although to talk about the apple TV, none of my iPhone using friends has it.. but their TV had hdmi ports lol...

Obviously I'm a college student and at this point it's all about cost reduction

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 02:08 PM
    Although to talk about the apple TV, none of my iPhone using friends has it.. but their TV had hdmi ports lol...

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbolt to HDMI adaptors exist.

http://www.zdnet.com/how-to-connect-...tv-7000019519/
    12-29-13 02:12 PM

Do you carry a micro Hdmi to hdmi adapter with you?
    Or just an extra cable?

Thunderbolt Lightning to HDMI adaptors exist.

http://www.zdnet.com/how-to-connect-...tv-7000019519/
    Yup works on both iPhones and iPads.

I don't travel without one.

avt123, JR A, tack and 2 others like this.
    12-29-13 03:40 PM
    multiple phone and ipad skins, replacement hardware in multiple colours, cheap options to waterproof them etc, replacement home buttons in multple colours, phone cases, jailbreaks to add customisation so iphones users can also have a phone customised to be completely their own
    12-29-13 03:47 PM

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/8ymaqyhe.jpg
    Ah yes my mistake!
    12-29-13 03:51 PM
    I don't suppose that cable comes with the package does it?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 03:56 PM

Apple has an adapter for that.

No one cares about looking important. Most of us don't keep our phones lying out on the table. They are in our pockets and there you need a vibration motor not a light, which all smartphones have.

App Store had promotions, like Google Play Store.

iMessage already does Voice Memos. All PTT is a shortcut for Voice Memos. What GPS features (honest question)?

Coolness goes out the door when you realize your cannot view or contribute to the family photo/video stream from your device.

I wish them well in 2014.
    12-29-13 04:04 PM

Posted via CB10
    Does it matter? No. Some people I know who had phones with HDMI ports never, ever used them.

It's simply a better experience to use something like an AppleTV or AllShare Cast Hub than to use a clunky HDMI cable. Wireless is the future.
    12-29-13 04:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    No, however blackberry does not offer an Hdmi to micro Hdmi adapter/cable either.
    12-29-13 04:24 PM
    Does it matter? No. Some people I know who had phones with HDMI ports never, ever used them.

It's simply a better experience to use something like an AppleTV or AllShare Cast Hub than to use a clunky HDMI cable. Wireless is the future.
    I've never used mine; and only once have I seen anyone use theirs.

Edit: and that was a couple years ago, or whenever the Christmas was after the Droid Charge released on Verizon.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 04:29 PM
    snip...No one cares about looking important. Most of us don't keep our phones lying out on the table. They are in our pockets and there you need a vibration motor not a light, which all smartphones have.
    Not entirely true. Obviously from OPs post, some Blackberry users do. LOL. It's part of the "Tools Not Toys" mindset.

OP forgot one thing is their list of "Things the iPhone can't do this holiday..." Fail to be under more Christmas tress than BB10 devices

But OP, I get your point. Good work.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 12-29-13 at 06:06 PM.
    21stNow and SifiGamer like this.
    12-29-13 05:55 PM
    Do you carry a micro Hdmi to hdmi adapter with you?
    Or just an extra cable?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/12/30/8ymaqyhe.jpg
    Same here.
    12-29-13 06:05 PM
    *snip* iMessage already does Voice Memos. All PTT is a shortcut for Voice Memos. What GPS features (honest question)? *snip*
    Built-in Glympse in BBM with destructive location sharing after set period of time

http://m.crackberry.com/hands-latest...-blackberry-10

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 06:06 PM

Posted via CB10
    None of my friends with iPhones have the Apple TV either. And for traveling, most of the hotels have hdmi ready TVs and it has been convenient for my family to use with either my BlackBerry phone or the PlayBook. I have also found a trend in my friends who are moving away from the iPhones. A lot of them are sporting the Samsung Galaxys. I am sure that if BlackBerry get the carriers to carry and promote the BB10s, more people would be looking at the BB10s as a viable alternative.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    brunoxrs and SifiGamer like this.
    12-29-13 06:12 PM
    Again college student here...is apple TV going to cost me $3 at best buy?

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 08:15 PM
    But with the apple pin.converter, I might be wrong but don't you have to buy an hdmi-hdmi cable as well?

Obviously this isn't a deal breaker but it's a way for me not to spend too much

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 08:17 PM
    Built-in Glympse in BBM with destructive location sharing after set period of time

http://m.crackberry.com/hands-latest...-blackberry-10

Posted via CB10
    Gimmick.
    12-29-13 08:20 PM
    If it were "all about cost reduction" you wouldn't have a smartphone in the first place.

But with the apple pin.converter, I might be wrong but don't you have to buy an hdmi-hdmi cable as well?
    I'm not aware of any smartphone that ships with an HDMI cable in the box.
    21stNow and nduka144m like this.
    12-29-13 08:20 PM
    Yup, just buy another thing-a-ma-jigger from Apple to adapt the iPhone to do some it can't really do while every other phone requires a simple cable. One can only laugh.

Posted via CB10
    12-29-13 08:32 PM
    Well I guess some of the people here are very typically iPhoneish. They like to take many steps to accomplish a single task or use many different devices to watch their movies on Apple TV.

Well I use my HDMI whenever I do presentations and yes I guess it is easier to just plug it into a TV than do some configuration to let it connect wirelessly. I guess most people don't know it but my previous BlackBerry Bold 9900 already has media share which can share music, pictures & movies with other devices including your TV wirelessly. Thankfully they brought this feature to BlackBerry 10.

However I still prefer to use the cable as it is really plug & play and reduced embarrassment in front of a client if you were to go to their office to do a presentation.

Posted via CB10
    mujahid 10 and jasonvan9 like this.
    12-29-13 08:35 PM
    Well I guess some of the people here are very typically iPhoneish. They like to take many steps to accomplish a single task or use many different devices to watch their movies on Apple TV.

Well I use my HDMI whenever I do presentations and yes I guess it is easier to just plug it into a TV than do some configuration to let it connect wirelessly. I guess most people don't know it but my previous BlackBerry Bold 9900 already has media share which can share music, pictures & movies with other devices including your TV wirelessly. Thankfully they brought this feature to BlackBerry 10.

However I still prefer to use the cable as it is really plug & play and reduced embarrassment in front of a client if you were to go to their office to do a presentation.

Posted via CB10
    An adaptor allows iOS users to plug and play.

The Apple TV offers a lot more than just allowing your iOS device to display on the TV. It can be used all by itself.
    TgeekB and Coachbulldog like this.
    12-29-13 08:40 PM
    Yup, just buy another thing-a-ma-jigger from Apple to adapt the iPhone to do some it can't really do while every other phone requires a simple cable. One can only laugh.

Posted via CB10
    Worth every penny.
    It's rather slick, it charges the iphone/iPad at the same.
    Can't say the same for the simple cable.
    avt123 likes this.
    12-29-13 08:54 PM
    None of my friends with iPhones have the Apple TV either. And for traveling, most of the hotels have hdmi ready TVs and it has been convenient for my family to use with either my BlackBerry phone or the PlayBook. I have also found a trend in my friends who are moving away from the iPhones. A lot of them are sporting the Samsung Galaxys. I am sure that if BlackBerry get the carriers to carry and promote the BB10s, more people would be looking at the BB10s as a viable alternative.

BB Uniq BB Bold -Z10 with 1925
    Those that finally wake up from the fact that iphones are the most useless and outdated smartphones on the market. Most are getting SG's. In the end regardless of what smartphone you choose it will be head and shoulders above the outdated iPhone.

Posted via CB10
    scrapmetal58 likes this.
    12-29-13 09:37 PM
300 123 ...