Are fishsticks with potato chips crushed on top a casserole?
    Last edited by lorax1284; 06-13-14 at 07:42 PM.
    01-08-10 01:09 PM
    Just take the phone for a test drive before you fork over the cash, if you don't plan on getting a data package, don't worry abou the PIN number. You will not be able to use Blackberry Messenger anyway.

As far as GSM/CDMA hybrids, they do not work very well on GSM networks....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 01:12 PM
    Just take the phone for a test drive before you fork over the cash, if you don't plan on getting a data package, don't worry abou the PIN number. You will not be able to use Blackberry Messenger anyway.
    Unfortunately, I won't be able to test drive it: I'm looking at eBay or Kijiji or Craigslist... there are some darn good deals in the Greater Toronto Area... some too good to be true so I'm wary of what might be going on (aside from the whole "I took this blackberry from someone by force or surreptitiously without their knowledge and now I am going to sell it" problem.). I just want to know what ELSE might be a problem with a Blackberry being sold at what seems to be too darn good a price.

As far as GSM/CDMA hybrids, they do not work very well on GSM networks....
    Since I'm not pining for 3G support any time soon, I was considering a CDMA unit if "the GSM side" could be unlocked... but if the consensus is that CDMA / GSM hybrids have 'issues', then I'll skip those. Thanks.
    01-08-10 01:23 PM
    If I were you I would buy locally off craigslist. That way you can actually meet in person and take the phone to your carrier to make sure everything works when activating it.
    01-08-10 02:22 PM
    Since I'm not pining for 3G support any time soon, I was considering a CDMA unit if "the GSM side" could be unlocked... but if the consensus is that CDMA / GSM hybrids have 'issues', then I'll skip those. Thanks.

100% CDMA phones cannot be unlocked to be used on GSM networks, and 100% GSM phones cannot be used on CDMA networks. . They do not have the supporting Firmware/OS and the hardware to support each other.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-08-10 02:29 PM
    ...someone had stated in their post "Pin is clear". What does that mean... that the PIN (8 digit hex code?) may be known to be a stolen phone or something?
    01-09-10 04:04 PM
    the PIN is device specific, used for BBM and for identifying the device to RIM's servers.

If someone hasn't paid their bill, then the PIN gets blocked, therefore turning a berry into a dumbphone. (this applies to GSM or to CDMA phones). I believe the PIN gets blocked at a carrier level, not at RIM's level. HOWEVER, I'm not certain if this is true, and I am very willing to be corrected if I'm wrong.
    01-09-10 10:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD