Picked up a snippet of info from a thread over at WhatMobile

Overall I think the battle in tablets, new product categories (e.g. TV) and new service categories (I'm talking 2 major names licensing a well-known secure messaging technology)will be far more interesting than handsets this year.

More Talk Of Licencing Deals?

He's not said what technology, but am I wrong to assume BlackBerry?
    04-16-12 08:37 AM
    os10 shapes to be rock solid os with some mind blowing features. rim should licence os out. rim does not have enough resources now to fully capitalize on Its new os. companies like samsung,htc and lg will be critical to the success of os10. we already know they are open minded and are not tight to one os. just like licencing will be beneficial to rim, product diversification will be beneficial to them

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    04-16-12 08:46 AM
    RIM has said that it is considering licensing so it should not be a surprise that there is speculation about it.
    04-16-12 09:09 AM
    I think simply because RIM said that it's open to licensing speculation continues. I don't think RIM will immediately license BB10. They're going to try their own devices first. Really, RIM's hardware has never been an issue and many of their phones get praised in reviews because of build quality. RIM, honestly, makes better-looking, more attractive, devices than any of the Android OEMs (Sony, in my opinion, rivals RIM).

So long as RIM maintains their "openness" to licensing, we'll continue to see rumor like this, I'm afraid.
    04-16-12 01:21 PM
    RIM needs volume to get traction... trickling out 2 phones a year and one tablet every two years simply wont cut it.. They need a partner like Samsung to deliver several new phones a year for the masses..

Remember for RIM every phone sold is a few $ in the bank but $$ for BIS/BES at HUGE margin. their profitability is non-linear to # users
    04-16-12 04:07 PM
    I could see Android OEM's looking to jump off the crazy train and look for a new OS. Google now owns Motorola, and Microsoft basically owns Nokia by installing a CEO who has his loyalties in Redmond, and Apple won't license. Not to mention the fact that a lot of the Android OEM's are paying Microsoft fees to use the "free" OS. I bet any of the Android OEM's would gladly take a BB10 over Android if demand was there.
    04-16-12 08:46 PM
    I think it's a great idea personally. Some people just won't buy Blackberry because of all the negative news. Licensing BB10 would be a fantastic way to show the folks that wouldn't touch a RIM device how ( potentially ) great BB10 is.
    04-16-12 10:01 PM
    i have giv'n this a lot of thought and i think that RIM should license out BBM.

People are already copying it and its a huge hit so why not give the people what they want? WhatsUP, I'm pretty sure it whats its called, is a huge thing right now for people that don't want to rack up txt message costs. SMS/MMS have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur with the majority of cell phone users being "smart" ones.
    04-16-12 10:13 PM
    As I said many times, it's all about market share..RIM may get 0 dollar for licensing BB10 and IM but if RIM can add few millions of users by samsung, HTC it will make the ecosystem better..RIm makes good hardware and it's time to make good ecosystem..The biggest argument by Ifreaks and Droid users is that no apps....not that they use them but just keep throwing same argument..
    04-16-12 11:08 PM
    The only thing worth licensing is possibly bbm. Other than that I just don't see a point. Neither Apple or Android need an antiquated OS or an unknown like bb10.

Whatever.
    04-17-12 12:15 PM
    The only problem I see with this is that there are few incentives to license BB10 when Android is free.
    04-17-12 01:30 PM
    No kidding. What a joke.
    04-17-12 01:37 PM
    Android is free, depending who the phone vendor is.. Isn't HTC paying 15$ per phone to MS ?

Android Phone makers may be questioning the future of android now that goolge has bought motorola. Perhaps some think that google will take android out of the open source/ free licensing model or even EOL it and replace it with their new android os available on MOTO devices?
    04-17-12 02:09 PM
    The only problem I see with this is that there are few incentives to license BB10 when Android is free.
    It's not free. They don't pay Google, but many pay Microsoft for licensing due to patent infringement, and simply using Android opens them up to further litigation. The price for licensing BB10 may be more cost-effective than using Android for "free".

The real cost of Android? Potentially $60+ per device in patent fees � Unwired View
    04-17-12 02:11 PM
    There could be some major upsides to RIM licensing out the BB10 OS to other phone manufacturers (in a really left thinking / out of the box kinda way)

1) If (and i highlight the 'if') they were having hardware issues with their new phones meaning the release would get pushed back or handsets wouldnt meet the demands of the contempory consumer, then they could cut their loses, initially launch 1 'perfect' phone whilst releasing their OS on other manufacturers hardware at the same time. This would massively increase the reach of BB10 beyond just a Blackberry handset, but maybe also Samsungs latest phone for example, which the public dont need such heavy convincing to buy

2) This wider reach would show the OS's popularity, which could finally prove to all the major app devs (skype, netflix, etc etc) that producing an app for BB10 is in their intrests too. And RIM need these apps avaliable on launch, they just do

3) Assuming the OS is sound, and works perfectly, and app developers come onboard, this could allow RIM to possibly focus on the enterprise / business / hardcore Blackberry users with their handsets. Qwerty phone? No problem, theres already 2/3 fully touchscreen models out their on our and other manufacturers phones. So whilst RIM remains a strong, secure, professional brand with the Blackberry phones its putting out....BB10 could be just as easily avaliable on all the other toy phones () that are out there and appeal to the less BB enthuased

Just some thoughts....
    04-17-12 02:11 PM
    I could see Android OEM's looking to jump off the crazy train and look for a new OS. Google now owns Motorola, and Microsoft basically owns Nokia by installing a CEO who has his loyalties in Redmond, and Apple won't license. Not to mention the fact that a lot of the Android OEM's are paying Microsoft fees to use the "free" OS. I bet any of the Android OEM's would gladly take a BB10 over Android if demand was there.
    If a manufacturer decides to build BB10 phones, there's nothing to insinuate that they would stop manufacturing Android (or any other OS) devices. As long as Android devices are bringing in solid revenue, they'll continue to make them. If more than one OS platform brings them profits simultaneously, all the better.

So what if Android is free (with or without the point some are paying fees to the likes of Microsoft)? If somebody like Samsung were to foresee any kind of profit by manufacturing BB10 phones, then they will probably do it.
    04-17-12 02:28 PM
    It's not free. They don't pay Google, but many pay Microsoft for licensing due to patent infringement, and simply using Android opens them up to further litigation. The price for licensing BB10 may be more cost-effective than using Android for "free".

The real cost of Android? Potentially $60+ per device in patent fees � Unwired View
    I highly doubt that paying a small fee for patents vs paying for licensing an OS is even comparable, especially since RIM will be banking on high profit margins from a potential licensing deal.
    04-17-12 02:29 PM
    Some more info from the same guy

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MilhouseVH
    Can't see Samsung being interested in the Blackberry OS

you're wrong and they're not the only ones interested
    whether the deal comes off or not is separate issue

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MilhouseVH
    as they're already working on at least 4 operating system fronts (Android, Bada, Windows Phone, Tizen). Although maybe there would be some benefit from licensing the RIM messaging/IM properties to make Samsung's current OS options more attractive.

Samsung's strategy is not built on being loyal to a s/w platform.
    WRT to what they might do with RIM - see my post here.
    04-18-12 04:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD