I have read a recent thread on another part of this forum that talks about hybrid OSs and implanting your favorite OS's radio code into your favorite OS.

Well could we modify this code slightly for stronger reception? I'm sure the tradeoff would be poorer battery life... but reception in my office is so poor that as soon as I pick up my phone to send an sms, bbm, IM, etc., the reception drops only to go back up again once i put the phone down on my desk. In otherwords I cannot physically touch my phone without the reception going to "SOS" mode. This happened with literally every other Blackberry I've had including the 8700G, 8100, 8800, 8310, 8900, and now 9000.

Any idea? It's so annoying.
    06-16-09 06:13 PM
    06-17-09 11:35 AM
    I have read a recent thread on another part of this forum that talks about hybrid OSs and implanting your favorite OS's radio code into your favorite OS.

Well could we modify this code slightly for stronger reception? I'm sure the tradeoff would be poorer battery life... but reception in my office is so poor that as soon as I pick up my phone to send an sms, bbm, IM, etc., the reception drops only to go back up again once i put the phone down on my desk. In otherwords I cannot physically touch my phone without the reception going to "SOS" mode. This happened with literally every other Blackberry I've had including the 8700G, 8100, 8800, 8310, 8900, and now 9000.

Any idea? It's so annoying.
    I have the same problem in my office

Get a small signal booster.

Cell Ranger PORT USB-powered Cell Booster :: Get Cell Ranger
    06-17-09 12:12 PM
    Zmenchhofer does AT&T not have a femtocell yet? Sprint has one out called the Airave and I had heard AT&T was supposed to be getting one too. I think that would be much more efficient than this $150 Cell Ranger. It wont let me post a link for you but it is sprints website with a / then Airave

As far as the OP I don't think T-Mobile has anything like that. That would be great if we could change the radio settings but I don't see that as being an easy choice.
    06-17-09 12:39 PM
    Were getting the Sprint mini-tower thing at my house soon. Literaly EVERY cell phone provider doesn't work here, so I'm really excited to have perfect service for the first time EVER!!
    06-17-09 12:41 PM
    Zmenchhofer does AT&T not have a femtocell yet? Sprint has one out called the Airave and I had heard AT&T was supposed to be getting one too. I think that would be much more efficient than this $150 Cell Ranger. It wont let me post a link for you but it is sprints website with a / then Airave

As far as the OP I don't think T-Mobile has anything like that. That would be great if we could change the radio settings but I don't see that as being an easy choice.

To my knowledge No they dont, It is only at my office that i have problems(everyone with BB do) my Moto Q worked GREAT but i want my BB TO WORK!!! :-p
    06-17-09 12:51 PM
    Haven't had that problem with my Bold, but my 8700 was a little sketchy. Got a signal booster from one of those random cell kiosks. It was a little sticker to go under the battery. I'm as skeptical as the next guy, but I did see some improvement in my signal strength, especially when surrounded by concrete (my office). Cost me about $5 so I wasn't too worried if it didn't work.
    06-17-09 01:35 PM
    I tried the little sticker thing--didn't change signal a bit. And to my understanding you have to place a signal boosting device's antenna near a window... and the nearest window is across the office so no dice there.

I was talking about actually modifying (hacking) the OEM Blackberry software to get better signal. If one OS provides better signal than another OS, then there must be something there that changes. Oh well.
    06-17-09 02:15 PM
    Sorry mate - "hacking" an OS is a little out of my skill set... lol
    06-17-09 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD