I was reading an article on the verge that highlighted how features/services belonging to a platform owner are released with limited funtionality (if it's done at all) on other platforms in order to get people to switch for full functionality. This thread is not supposed to start another cross-platform BBM discussion. It is purpose is to discuss other possiblities to get people to think about BBM, its benefits and eventually considering to switch to BlackBerry.

Over here in Germany, awareness of BBM is pretty much non-existent. Whenever I (have to) justify my BB usage I talk about the physical keyboard and how my girlfriend and I use BBM groups etc. The answers are always the same "You get used to the on-screen keyboard" and "I didn't know about BBM, I wish WhatsApp had those features". So I was thinking about how to promote BBMs sole existence to people that do not have a clue.

I found this article hinting at new BBM features. Imho, the most important phrase is "[The possibility to have bigger BBM groups] could mean that RIM is looking to emulate the success of Twitter or Groupon in allowing people to broadcast messages or deals to 'followers'". However, that will require people to already use BBM.

What about using bbm.com as a twitter like microblogging webservice? Integrate features like following, message filtering, notifications, etc. into BBM and give non-BB users read-only access to the messages via the web. Then provide exclusive content by partnering (read "paying") some celebrities to exclusively post on bbm.com. This way the media will have to cite BBM just like Twitter and people start to ask themselves what BBM actually is.

What do you think of that idea? Which alternatives can you think of? Let me know!
    rarsen likes this.
    01-12-13 07:25 AM
    You mean like Facebook did, but backwards. Say BBM did end up like this, it'd rule out the collection of people who desire a BlackBerry for it's private messenger. Putting it online would make it unpopular, and rule out the exclusive principle. So I hardly think this'll ever happen.
    01-13-13 02:32 PM
    This is from the point of view of a (long ago - I stopped using my blackberry on the iPhone (original) launch day) blackberry user somewhat interested in blackberry again. BBM is interesting. I think people do know about it. One of the things I like about it that things like Viber and WhatsApp don't do is I'm sharing a PIN with it rather than my phone number with Viber and WhatsApp. It's a certain amount of comfort that the contact can't just start calling you all of the time.

I like the idea that the messages are somewhat secure, but only somewhat. They seem to exist in cleartext form on RIM's servers. Ideally a secure BBM would provide for end-to-end encryption and perhaps even one-time-pad exchange via NFC (meet someone, tap phones together to exchange a - say - 10 megabyte one time pad for very secure messages). That's just fantasy though, but BBM is as it stands not necessarily all that much more secure than any other messaging system that uses an encrypted layer somewhere in the mix.

Your idea isn't all that bad, but I think it's not going to attract non BBM users because twitter is so well established and so cross platform and could rapidly change to do about the same thing.

One kind of neat thing would be to be able to broadcast messages to a given geographical radius, for example send a "tweet" to everyone within 10 km, or within the bounds of the city I'm in, or so on. The client messengers would presumably have the ability to block any or all broadcast messages, or only accept public messages from within a certain radius, all user configurable. This is something twitter on a mobile device is still kind of klunky at, it's hard to search for tweets in a given radius around your location on a mobile device.
    01-13-13 11:57 PM
    One kind of neat thing would be to be able to broadcast messages to a given geographical radius, for example send a "tweet" to everyone within 10 km, or within the bounds of the city I'm in, or so on. The client messengers would presumably have the ability to block any or all broadcast messages, or only accept public messages from within a certain radius, all user configurable. This is something twitter on a mobile device is still kind of klunky at, it's hard to search for tweets in a given radius around your location on a mobile device.
    Everyone within 10Km of downtown Toronto or within the City of Toronto that is on BBM is likely in the 100,000 order of magnitude. If every one of these people sends one broadcast message a day, you're looking at 10,000,000,000 messages! If you extrapolate this to every other city center you're looking at who knows how many messages, trillions perhaps. That would guarantee a system load!
    Not the greatest idea since RIM currently only handles on the order of magnitude of "Billions of messages sent each day".(RIM Talks BlackBerry Messenger Growth Numbers - BerryReview)

Though if it were scaled down to say 1KM, or farther if searches are less than 1000 people (e.g. for rural areas), it definitely would be cool if they could implement something like that.

Another interesting feature could be a "locate me" function where you can BBM specific people given a profile or search of a geographical area within xKM. (E.g. say you're waiting around at Dundas Square for a friend to show up. They said they're going to be an hour late. You can search for anyone else who is bored in the area and you can filter by profiles, etc and meet up and kill time together.)

RIM needs to start thinking outside the box for their services. (though perhaps they've thought of this and figured the infrastructure they would need upgrade would be too costly. And you know what engineers say, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.
    01-14-13 12:21 AM