This may sound like a silly question, but when I look at the way the "curtain" is drawn in the hub, it seems a little awkward for a left-handed person holding the phone to "peek" since their thumb is positioned on the opposite side.

Is there by any chance a setting on the phone to change the direction of the curtain?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    01-31-13 03:15 PM
    This is an interesting question, I'd like to see what is the development's team take on this and use case analysis. Would they go as far as peeking from the right? If so, would they make apps screen add to the left?
    01-31-13 03:21 PM
    There are a dozen past threads on this, with (I believe) most having responses from left-handers with Dev Alphas, and some noting comments from people like RIM's chief UI designer (who is apparently a leftie as well), indicating there simply isn't an issue.

Here's my thought: I'm very much right-handed. Using my left is pretty clumsy generally. You'd think if it were a strongly biased design, I'd be good with my right hand and absolutely terrible with my left.

As it is, I just tried some Hub activity, selecting various filtered views to see e.g. just Twitter messages, back to full Hub, selecting messages and returning, Peeking back to the tab list, etc. No big deal. Feels reasonably effective, and I could see doing that pretty easily if my right hand happened to be holding onto a heavy bag as I navigated an airport or whatever. The fact it felt that easy to me, as a rightie, makes me pretty confident that lefties will not have an issue.

The basic "show the hub" gesture is easy too. The one where you swipe up from bottom, then slide the view to the right, revealing the hub. It's up and push instead of up and pull, and while theoretically that seems open to an argument that "but pulling is easier than pushing" it really just doesn't seem to work that way.

Also see all those past threads. ;-)
    01-31-13 03:34 PM
    Thanks for your responses. Not sure about both sides being equivalent though.

I think I will just spend more time practicing becoming ambidextrous. I'm probably 75% there anyway. I have a strong survival instinct. :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    01-31-13 06:05 PM
    Being southpawed as well, the gestures look like they'll be simple to execute with the northpaw's thumb. One advantage might be jotting down notes while operating the phone with the right hand.
    borbella likes this.
    01-31-13 06:23 PM