... I just switched over to a Samsung.

There's no physical keyboard.

I'm so depressed.

That's all.

Bye
    It'll be okay
    brookie229 likes this.
    12-18-21 12:25 PM
    Agreed. I have a Pixel 5. My typing accuracy is abysmal.
    joshualebowitz likes this.
    12-18-21 02:43 PM
    It won't take you long to get right back up to the same kind of accuracy that you had before.
    12-18-21 02:47 PM
    It won't take you long to get right back up to the same kind of accuracy that you had before.
    Maybe so but what I will miss is typing without looking at where my fingers are. I just focused on the text I was typing.
    Last edited by MistahMan; 12-18-21 at 03:55 PM.
    12-18-21 02:59 PM
    Maybe so but what I will miss is typing without looking at where my fingers are. I just focused on text I was typing.
    Understood. They are different experiences for sure.
    12-18-21 03:04 PM
    Maybe so but what I will miss is typing without looking at where my fingers are. I just focused on the text I was typing.
    All the extra productivity you'll get from the improved ecosystem and other applications used along with the larger VKB is worth the changes.
    12-18-21 04:31 PM
    All the extra productivity you'll get from the improved ecosystem and other applications used along with the larger VKB is worth the changes.
    For sure. I also realize I've been missing out on a lot. Stuff as simple as a bank app.
    12-18-21 05:23 PM
    That's a lie. Glass doesn't match real decent keys.
    12-18-21 07:35 PM
    That's a lie. Glass doesn't match real decent keys.
    It does for me, and for many others here who have said the same.
    12-18-21 07:36 PM
    Also moved to a Pixel 5 as a primary from my KEY2. Accuracy has definitely taken a hit and I don't expect it to ever match what I had going with that PKB (for obvious reasons that are constantly challenged here). But the thing is that aside from the PKB with its supreme accuracy and shortcuts (and notification LED...and rubber back...and flat sides) the P5 is a better device for 2022.
    boogywstew and joshualebowitz like this.
    12-18-21 07:36 PM
    I got my brand new Android 10 Unihertz Titan on December 1st. A Mustang with an automatic or a stick shift will get you from A to B equally as well but the stick makes you part of the machine. Why shouldn't my phone be a hobby? My motorcycle is a manual and it involves much more interaction than any auto transmission car, I still get from that A to B, but I'm enjoying another hobby.
    Vive La Difference!
    I truly believe I could substitute my Titan flashlight for a missing headlight beam in an emergency. It's almost a heatlamp. I might also be able to jumpstart my bike off the Titan's battery. There might be an app for that? When my Q10 sits alongside my Titan it almost looks like the Q10 could be the Titan's cell phone.
    Ben xfg, the_boon and EdMinghuang like this.
    12-18-21 08:41 PM

I'm so depressed.

That's all.

Bye
    I just did that tonight! I haven't finished the setup yet though.
    12-18-21 08:48 PM

I'm so depressed.

That's all.

Bye
    Other than having the perks of a new phone (good camera and speed) with my pixel 6. I agree with you. I miss my blackberry key2
    12-18-21 11:25 PM
    I wonder what will happen to this forum with people switching to other platforms...
    12-19-21 12:52 AM
    I wonder what will happen to this forum with people switching to other platforms...
    A lot here already have, including me. But we're still here.

I still keep a Z10 running on wi-fi only, and still have one e-mail account going. Just to stay up on what happens. And if a question pops up, I can look through my phone to provide answers if possible.

It's BBID-less right now, so I can see what does happen when the services shut down in a few weeks.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-19-21 01:06 AM
    Other than having the perks of a new phone (good camera and speed) with my pixel 6. I agree with you. I miss my blackberry key2
    100% agreement with you both.

I've fully moved on to Pixel 5a, installed GrapheneOS, completely de-Googled and the software available is outstanding. FairEmail, Bromite browser, Joplin taking the place of Evernote, mobile Dropbox works great, even the latest version of GrapheneOS camera software is now amazing (esp compared to the Blackberry Q10 I moved on from.)

But my oh my, is the virtual keyboard experience utterly abysmal. Full of mistakes so I have to truncate every text and email and say "I will answer in more detail later". I got very spoiled for the past 15+ years being able to type long, mistake-free, even production-ready content anytime, anywhere on the Blackberry keyboard.

I have a 4" x 10" bluetooth keyboard that I will use around the house whenever I think of it, and eventually will be trying out the tiny keyboards that might fit in my pocket with the phone.
    12-19-21 05:44 AM
    No doubt it will improve. However, I have my doubts as to convenience, alternative language uses, typing blind say under a table in a meeting, quick shortcuts, etc. Likely comparatively a mediocre experience. And if, like you me, you have no need of most, if not all of the walled garden of either Android or Apple, then you will simply adjust, and move on.
    12-19-21 08:06 AM

I'm so depressed.

That's all.

Bye
    I feel your pain. I've already got my order in for a comfort dog to support me through this trying time, and I've put a grief counselor on speed-dial on my new iPhone 13 Pro for when typing on glass becomes overwhelming.
    12-19-21 08:06 AM
    You'll be fine and back to speed on a VKB quicker than expected. Just like moving from BB10 to BBAndroid, cold turkey is best. The old habits die faster when there's no alternative. The hardest part is that feeling of a misstep as your brain is telling your thumb wait for touching a physical key. Your brain will tell your thumb it's okay touching glass. If you don't like Gboard, try out Swiftkey instead.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-19-21 09:21 AM
    No doubt it will improve. However, I have my doubts as to convenience, alternative language uses, typing blind say under a table in a meeting, quick shortcuts, etc. Likely comparatively a mediocre experience. And if, like you me, you have no need of most, if not all of the walled garden of either Android or Apple, then you will simply adjust, and move on.
    You can forget about blind typing/typing by feel on glass lol.
    12-19-21 09:21 AM
    I feel your pain. I've already got my order in for a comfort dog to support me through this trying time, and I've put a grief counselor on speed-dial on my new iPhone 13 Pro for when typing on glass becomes overwhelming.
    Lol.

Ahh if only glass phones could provide speed dial...

Well maybe if there was a convenience key at least.
    i_plod_an_dr_void likes this.
    12-19-21 09:23 AM
    You can forget about blind typing/typing by feel on glass lol.
    This is correct but the added productivity from everything additional to just typing blind makes up for it. Biggest difference is not having to pinch enlarge the screen in apps optimized for significantly larger screens.
    12-19-21 09:25 AM
    This is correct but the added productivity from everything additional to just typing blind makes up for it. Biggest difference is not having to pinch enlarge the screen in apps optimized for significantly larger screens.
    There's also the lack of shortcuts. And in general having to rely on constant visual cognitive attention to get anything done...

Its not that there are no advantages to modern glass touch tech, but ideally there would be a healthy mix of physical and virtual controls. They both have a place in modern tech and each has its pros/cons.
    12-19-21 09:28 AM
    There's also the lack of shortcuts. And in general having to rely on constant visual cognitive attention to get anything done...

Its not that there are no advantages to modern glass touch tech, but ideally there would be a healthy mix of physical and virtual controls. They both have a place in modern tech and each has its pros/cons.
    The devices evolved to eliminate those physical control advantages to reduce the number of possible failure points. Standardization of anything physical is only surpassed by elimination of anything physical from a cost/design/accessories/development standpoint. Tradeoff is that OEMs adapt the standards and look for newer advantages to differentiate.
    12-19-21 09:47 AM
95 123 ...