Someone told me yesterday that "BlackBerry Experience" is just a figment of our imaginations because all smartphones are basically the same, especially these days. He basically said all phones can multitask, have gestures, productivity capabilities and numerous other similar features.
    This really got me thinking, does he really have a point? Are we BlackBerry loyalists so caught up in everything BlackBerry that we fail to see the forest for the trees. The keyboard experience should not by itself alone constitute the "whole or entire" BlackBerry experience, because those who use Z10 & Z30 can not be precluded.
    So if you say there is such thing as "BlackBerry experience", how would you describe yours.

As pertaining to me, maybe I am too biased to be very objective. What I know for fact is I would rather you only use BB phones but very receptive to using Tablets and other non phones devices on different platforms.
    03-07-14 10:11 AM
    IMHO, it's true that all smartphone OS's can do pretty much the same things, the difference is how they handle them. Heck, even among Android devices from different manufacturers there are differences. That's where it gets down to personal preference and nothing more. There have been threads and threads of countless arguments about how once certain way of doing something is better than another. Page after page, it all boils down to personal preference every time.

No, I don't believe the "BlackBerry Experience" is a figment of our imaginations. It is indeed very DIFFERENT from any other OS. It's slick and intuitive and great for communication. But...if the experience is BETTER than the rest is up to each user.
    03-07-14 10:15 AM
    IMHO, it's true that all smartphone OS's can do pretty much the same things, the difference is how they handle them. Heck, even among Android devices from different manufacturers there are differences. That's where it gets down to personal preference and nothing more. There have been threads and threads of countless arguments about how once certain way of doing something is better than another. Page after page, it all boils down to personal preference every time.

No, I don't believe the "BlackBerry Experience" is a figment of our imaginations. It is indeed very DIFFERENT from any other OS. It's slick and intuitive and great for communication. But...if the experience is BETTER than the rest is up to each user.
    I agree.

While I believe there is a reasonable degree of parity with regards to out-of-the-box functionality across platforms, I think they have their unique quirks that make them special. Each of the Big 4 platforms has an identity of sorts. That's what makes them all so much fun to explore.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    03-07-14 10:23 AM
    Identity. I like that!
    03-07-14 10:24 AM

Sooooo well put.
    03-07-14 10:27 AM

Just being a devil's advocate for one moment, but my "friend" was saying, in essence, iPhone and Samsung and other high-end phones have same "slick and intuitive and greta for communication" feel too. What's the counter argument for that?
    03-07-14 10:48 AM
    To me "The Blackberry Experience" is what makes using a BlackBerry device special for me

The hub
    Peek and flow
    Time shift
    The keyboard with predictive text
    BBM

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    03-07-14 10:50 AM
    Just being a devil's advocate for one moment, but my "friend" was saying, in essence, iPhone and Samsung and other high-end phones have same "slick and intuitive and greta for communication" feel too. What's the counter argument for that?
    Well, they do as well! Just because BB has a great OS doesn't mean that other OS's don't cut the mustard. Like I said, they're just different, and the difference is what makes each an "experience."
    03-07-14 11:04 AM
    - Ergonomic keyboard on BBOS and Q
    - Push mail for some if on BIS - BBOS
    - Balance if you have an employer owned phone on BES
    - Hub
    - Trackpad and phone buttons
    - Best phone for scheming politicians and terrorists on TV programs
    acovey likes this.
    03-07-14 11:04 AM
    To me "The Blackberry Experience" is what makes using a BlackBerry device special for me

The hub
    Peek and flow
    Time shift
    The keyboard with predictive text
    BBM

Posted via CB10 from my spectacular Z10
    Most of those can be found on other OS's though (time shift, keyboard with predictive text, bbm, and even peek to an extent). IMHO the BB "experience" refers to things that are different from other OS's, and even then there are similarities to other OS's. The hub keeping all previous notifications in chronological order and easy to access, along with easy access to all communication accounts is the main one. The second big one is a purely gesture based OS with no home button, virtual or otherwise. Active frames are like widgets in Android, recent apps in Android and iOS, and live tiles in WP. Peek is like the notification drawer in Android/iOS. Nearly all virtual keyboards have predictive text. BBM is now cross platform.
    Drew808 likes this.
    03-07-14 11:10 AM
    BB10 definitely is a BB experience, the peek, the hub, the keyboard, the flow
    03-07-14 11:30 AM
    The BlackBerry Experience is the harmony of Software and Hardware like iOS and the special features like the HUB, Peek and Flow, True Multi-Tasking. Etc
    03-07-14 11:31 AM
    The Blackberry experience is different, and it is better. All I own is a Playbook, but my mother gave me her hold iPhone 4 to use like an iPod. I must say, getting used to the annoyance that is the home button, the inability to swipe from App to App without first having to "double click" the home button, lack of bezel navigation, all of these are far inferior to the Playbook OS interface.

I have "played" with Z10 and Q10 (haven't jumped in the BBRY pool), and I must say the navigation is the best.
    03-07-14 11:35 AM
    I too believe that a BlackBerry experience does exist. Their approach to security and communication for me is what constitutes the BlackBerry experience. BlackBerry tends to focus on these more than the other OSes and this evident in the way they implement whatever features you get on the phone. This to me is the BlackBerry experience.
    03-07-14 11:45 AM
    The BlackBerry experience to me is

- The HUB with all its capabilities, it's UI and especially the gesture to access and peek into it
    - the LED (which simply isn't to be found on the Android devices of my choice as well as the iPhone)
    - the home gesture and notification peek from the bottom
    - the multitasking-is-your-homescreen-approach
    - the look-and-feel of the hardware (grippy, ergonomic and solid incl sidebuttons and the power button - just functional)
    - the overall interoperability of the OS, which means data sharing between apps and the file explorer as well as the broad support for various file formats out-of-the-box
    03-07-14 12:13 PM
    Someone told me yesterday that "BlackBerry Experience" is just a figment of our imaginations because all smartphones are basically the same, especially these days.
    I can assure you that my Q10 is very different from all the glass slabs out there .

The keyboard experience should not by itself alone constitute the "whole or entire" BlackBerry experience, because those who use Z10 & Z30 can not be precluded.
    So if you say there is such thing as "BlackBerry experience", how would you describe yours.
    I think the BB experience is different, depending upon whether you are a BBOS user, BB10 user, All-touch user, Q10/Q5 user and so on. I guess what you are asking is the common element in these, that is still unique from other platforms. In that case, I'd say the following things, in no particular order, could be used to define (and differentiate) the BB experience:
    1. BBM
    2a. Physical keyboard and productivity shortcuts (aka BB's little moments of delight)
    2b. Flicking words on virtual keyboard
    3. Hub
    4. Blinking red light
    5. Security
    03-07-14 12:20 PM
    - the LED (which simply isn't to be found on the Android devices of my choice as well as the iPhone)
    Which Android devices don't have LED these days?? Since 2010 I've had 9 Android devices (well, 10 if you include my Nexus 7) and all of them except for my very first one, the Samsung Vibrant, have had an LED. However, some have left a lot to be desired, like the HTC devices where the LED was behind the speaker grill. The best LEDs have been on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and my current LG G2. Even though they aren't the brightest, I also dig the pulsating LED on the Nexus devices because it's a throwback to the glowing trackball on the Nexus One.
    Drew808 likes this.
    03-07-14 12:25 PM
    My girlfriend and I have had a total of four iPhone 5's on Verizon. After using two different ones for eight months, I can say that the typing experience on them is not good, and the call quality is is really poor compared to both my Q10 and my Moto X. My brother recently made the jump from a 4S to a 5 at work and he is complaining about the poor call quality.

The interface on them is a different story. They are very slick and smooth and every app ever created is available.
    03-07-14 12:34 PM
    Yes, it is a fact that most phones end up doing the same thing but "The BlackBerry Experience" has to do with how you get to that "same thing". Every OS has it's own "experience" that is different even though we all end up on the same productivity and feature experience.
    03-07-14 12:35 PM
    My BlackBerry experience:

1. Going through the day composing and receiving a LOT of various types of messages and then going back to what I was originally doing without a hiccup.
    2. Making and receiving calls with almost crystal clear quality.
    3. Syncing data and using it with native apps on my 2 Z10s without any problems.
    4. Multi tasking without any noticeable lag.
    5. Surfing and looking at funny websites (hey, everyone deserves to laugh at some point, right? )
    6. Doing most of the above quickly and not having to do a reset.

That's my BlackBerry experience. Yes, it's personal preference to go through the day using what works for me and what gets my job done.

What's your BlackBerry experience? Lol

Posted via CB10
    acovey likes this.
    03-07-14 12:35 PM
    The "BlackBerry Experience" is the "User Experience". The Hub, Flow of Gestures (without any use of a homebutton), BBM, and Security are all what makes up the BlackBerry experience. The experience could also come within the embedded software in each mobile platform which in this case would be QNX. QNX is more reliable than Darwin OS in iOS or Linux in Android. These things are what makes BlackBerry superior. Plus let's not forget who has the better battery.

Posted via CB10
    03-07-14 01:01 PM
    Which Android devices don't have LED these days?? Since 2010 I've had 9 Android devices (well, 10 if you include my Nexus 7) and all of them except for my very first one, the Samsung Vibrant, have had an LED. However, some have left a lot to be desired, like the HTC devices where the LED was behind the speaker grill. The best LEDs have been on my Samsung Galaxy S3 and my current LG G2. Even though they aren't the brightest, I also dig the pulsating LED on the Nexus devices because it's a throwback to the glowing trackball on the Nexus One.
    The thing is that finding an "Android device of my choice" is already a tough task and neither a Galaxy, nor a Nexus nor an LG nor HTC devices fulfill this. I like the Xperia Z2. So if that has an LED (on the front and customizable with profiles), I'm wrong.
    03-07-14 02:01 PM
    The thing is that finding an "Android device of my choice" is already a tough task and neither a Galaxy, nor a Nexus nor an LG nor HTC devices fulfill this. I like the Xperia Z2. So if that has an LED (on the front and customizable with profiles), I'm wrong.
    I had the Xperia Z and there was an LED. It was fairly small, but better than HTC. It's customizable, but you have to go into each individual app and set the LED color which can be a bit cumbersome. I think the Xperia Z2 looks really neat, but I'd have to see it in person. The screen on my Xperia Z was a bit disappointing (the blacks were more gray and the viewing angles weren't great) and my battery really was the pits (it was only 2400mah, I believe). It was fine when in stamina mode and not in use, but when I was actually using the device you could see the percentages tick down. I only got about 14-15 hours with moderate use. With heavy use? I was searching for a charger after 10-11.
    03-07-14 02:23 PM
    Let me put it this way. To technophiles, as in fanboys from any smartphone brand following, maybe there is a "Blackberry experience".

To the other 99% of smartphones users, they will never learn about or use many of the features/intricacies between OSes. Other distinctive features they just aren't very passionate about. For them, the "Blackberry experience" does not exist.

Technophiles place too much emphasis on "experience". WebOS was a truly UI defining OS that now every major smartphone OS "borrows" from and look where it got WebOS?
    anon8091350 and jakie55 like this.
    03-07-14 02:26 PM
    Let me put it this way. To technophiles, as in fanboys from any smartphone brand following, maybe there is a "Blackberry experience".

To the other 99% of smartphones users, they will never learn about or use many of the features/intricacies between OSes. Other distinctive features they just aren't very passionate about. For them, the "Blackberry experience" does not exist.

Technophiles place too much emphasis on "experience". WebOS was a truly UI defining OS that now every major smartphone OS "borrows" from and look where it got WebOS?
    What would you classify yourself as, a "technophile" or "99% of smartphone users"? If you classify yourself as the former, then how would you describe your "BlackBerry experience".
    03-07-14 02:37 PM
130 123 ...