For me the experience is all about having a device where email/messaging and the quality of the keyboard input is the prime consideration in design. To me the virtual BB keyboard is also better than the iPhone and the few Android KBs I have tried (SwiftKey being my fav.). Yeah I know the BB KB is based on SwiftKey. I have not really typed on a Windows Phone KB other than a minute here or there. But no one seems to rave about it as a standout, so I will assume it is merely adequate/good and not amazing (?). Of course if someone really likes the whole Swype thing, then that's quite different and they won't want a BlackBerry.

To be honest I'd really like to have a Q10/Q20 over my Z10 at times, because nothing beats the real thing. But then I browse the web a lot and find the BB onscreen KB to be good enough to keep me on the larger screen.
    You would be surprised that there are quite a lot of people like you, including my son, who feels that nothing beats the real thing as the QWERTY. My son does not want anything to do with all full touch phones.
    03-09-14 05:10 PM
    Yes, there is a BlackBerry experience. I just got my first smartphone, a Z30. I knew nothing about smartphones at the time. I went to a few wireless stores and played around with whatever they had. I didn't fumble too badly with the Nokias with W8, but the androids completely lost me. Then I picked up a Z30.

I gave it a few trial swipes and everything was clear and made sense. It acted less like a "phone running apps" than a pocket PC, but smoother than my PC. The ease of use and intuitive nature of OS10 allowed me to see how I would use it even though I had Zero experience with smartphones. I saw that the browser works just like my PC's (and even faster), and that it ran Flash. I explored the Hub and figured out the Hub peek... and was sold.

Totally new to smartphones, monkeying around with a Z30 for 5 minutes... and I could already start multitasking faster and more efficiently than any other phone? I'd say that there is definitely a BlackBerry experience.

From a Z30
    03-09-14 05:18 PM
    You would be surprised that there are quite a lot of people like you, including my son, who feels that nothing beats the real thing as the QWERTY. My son does not want anything to do with all full touch phones.
    Not surprised at all. Am I faster on a touch keyboard? Yeah. Is it more flexible? Yeah.

But is it as satisfying for me to use? NO.
    clickitykeys and jakie55 like this.
    03-09-14 05:22 PM
    Totally new to smartphones, monkeying around with a Z30 for 5 minutes... and I could already start multitasking faster and more efficiently than any other phone? I'd say that there is definitely a BlackBerry experience.

From a Z30
    Perfect example of how it just fits some folks. That's why when someone tries to come in to the threads and explain why you shouldn't like BlackBerry 10 better because of their facts, they'll fail. Some things click with certain folks and the same things don't with others.
    03-09-14 05:24 PM
    And because of these limitations and lack of things, we don't want to go further with another device or anything
    I've used them all extensively, and always wind up favoring my z10.
    southlander likes this.
    03-09-14 05:32 PM
    Yes, there is a BlackBerry experience. I just got my first smartphone, a Z30. I knew nothing about smartphones at the time. I went to a few wireless stores and played around with whatever they had. I didn't fumble too badly with the Nokias with W8, but the androids completely lost me. Then I picked up a Z30.

I gave it a few trial swipes and everything was clear and made sense. It acted less like a "phone running apps" than a pocket PC, but smoother than my PC. The ease of use and intuitive nature of OS10 allowed me to see how I would use it even though I had Zero experience with smartphones. I saw that the browser works just like my PC's (and even faster), and that it ran Flash. I explored the Hub and figured out the Hub peek... and was sold.

From a Z30
    I've always wondered why the press states the learning curve is too hard with BB10. This is a perfect example of why I believe it's not. I had the z10 mastered in less than an hour. Thanks for that.

Posted via CB10
    03-09-14 06:11 PM
    I've always wondered why the press states the learning curve is too hard with BB10. This is a perfect example of why I believe it's not. I had the z10 mastered in less than an hour. Thanks for that.

Posted via CB10
    Someone getting their first smartphone doesn't have 6-7 years of prior use to disregard when picking up a BlackBerry device.

That's apples and oranges.

A new user doesn't have issues learning anything. Someone who has had several phones often does have issues relearning things when they can stick to what they know in a better device and not lag in productivity.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk
    03-09-14 10:32 PM
    Someone getting their first smartphone doesn't have 6-7 years of prior use to disregard when picking up a BlackBerry device.

A new user doesn't have issues learning anything. Someone who has had several phones often does have issues relearning things when they can stick to what they know in a better device and not lag in productivity.

... I didn't fumble too badly with the Nokias with W8, but the androids completely lost me. Then I picked up a Z30.
    I believe Xenolock is saying he found the non-BB10 phones less intuitive for him/her, yes without having ever had any smartphone experience.

Meaning -- you were saying "A new user doesn't have issues learning anything". Xenolock seems to disagree.
    03-09-14 11:19 PM
    I believe Xenolock is saying he found the non-BB10 phones less intuitive for him/her, yes without having ever had any smartphone experience.

Meaning -- you were saying "A new user doesn't have issues learning anything". Xenolock seems to disagree.
    You don't seem to understand what I am saying.

BlackBerry 10 basically didn't exist until 2013 for people here.

Yes a new user may find it nice.

But the people coming from other platforms may not want to invest in learning something that navigates completely different, especially people who are not necessarily technically inclined.

Their prior use often factors into their purchasing decisions.

When they use BB10 and are loss, but the next Galaxy is as familiar as ever, it makes a difference.

A new user does not have the baggage of years of prior experience on other platforms affecting them. They are generally less biased or influenced in what they find "easier."

To a most of people. Easy = Familiar.

There are people that tell me to play my own music at the rink because they don't know how to "work my phone" (most use iPhone). Asking these people to go from iOS or Android to BB10 would invoke laughter from these people. They don't even ask how. They just tell me to do it. They aren't interested in learning something different, and when it's time to upgrade they will get what's familiar to them for those reasons.

Existing users come with baggage and with current smartphone penetration it's getting hard to gain raw market share in affluent markets without poaching off of other platforms - especially since services are being designed such that similar phones are needed for interoperabilit, which aids to propagate platforms and create stickiness.

03-09-14 11:32 PM

You have a great point, but my one year old daughter at the time and I had no problem coming from the Torch 9800. She now uses my wife's Z10 as her main device.

Attachment 253931
    Attached Thumbnails Is there really any such thing as "BlackBerry Experience"? Or is just a figment of our imaginations.-img_20140202_193656.jpg  
    Last edited by xBURK; 03-10-14 at 01:12 AM.
    wincyUt likes this.
    03-09-14 11:41 PM
    You have a great point, but my one year old daughter at the time and I had no problem coming from the Torch 9800. She now uses my wife's Z10 as her main device.

Is there really any such thing as "BlackBerry Experience"? Or is just a figment of our imaginations.-img_20140202_193656.jpg

Posted via CB10
    I doubt that child "uses" anything; more like just plays around with the device like they would any toy.

03-09-14 11:42 PM
    I doubt that child "uses" anything; more like just plays around with the device like they would any toy.

Well, She knows how to Swipe Up and Unlock the Device / Open You Tube and find and play Yo Gabba Gabba / Knows how to Swipe Up and then close an App / knows how to open Sound Recordings App and then swipe left to open up other Genres and Select / knows how to open up Photos and Videos and cruise through them/ knows how to use Parrot Voice Recordings App to record and then play back her recordings etc..etc. That's at two years of age.

Like I said, I understand your point.
    I just don't think it should be labeled too hard to learn by the press and critics.
    I'm seriously not the brightest of men and I had the Z10 mastered in one hour.

Posted via CB10
    clickitykeys, wincyUt and jakie55 like this.
    03-10-14 12:03 AM
    The Multi-Tasking on other devices is simply just as easy to access (easier in some places - just a button press on most Android/Windows Phones and a double press on iOS) and on some devices actual multi-tasking from a productivity sense is far superior to what BlackBerrry offers on their devices.
    Far superior? I'd say roughly equal, and that's being charitable. Even on my big iPad screen, iOS7 double-press-and-flick-up is godawful. Many of my colleagues use iphones, and even they think it's gimmicky and contrived. Long-press in native Android is better, but it would be a wash when compared with BB10's method. Depends on who you ask.

Have you seen the advances Samsung has made with Multi-Windowing apps in the Note 3? Drag and Drop, etc.
    Yes. Seen and used them (not on Note 3 yet, but on the S4) and found them pretty darn cool.
    03-10-14 12:36 AM
    Different because this "Decade Ago" way of forcing people to think about managing the processes on their phone is... Not quite a selling point. The Multi-Tasking on other devices is simply just as easy to access (easier in some places - just a button press on most Android/Windows Phones and a double press on iOS) and on some devices actual multi-tasking from a productivity sense is far superior to what BlackBerrry offers on their devices.

Have you seen the advances Samsung has made with Multi-Windowing apps in the Note 3? Drag and Drop, etc.

Even LG has made great strides there and I wouldn't be surprised if these features began to become more mainstream. Microsoft may eventually introduce some of that in Windows Phone given average device sizes (or they could just limit it to the bigger devices like they do with the third column on the start screen).
    Seriously dude is there anything you understand. I'm just going to ignore this. This whole multitasking thing incl Samsungs multi window ability has been discussed a 1,000 times. And know, multi window is a completely different use case and not superior for what I seek in a phone.
    03-10-14 01:33 AM
    I'm using Nokia Lumia, LG G2 and also z10. All platform have their own uniqueness. Different experience from each platform.
    And BB10, has its own signature and i felt different experience using it.

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 01:43 AM
    You don't seem to understand what I am saying.
    Sure I do. I merely qualified it to include the fact that while folks that know iOS and Android inside and out might find BlackBerry 10 too different (yeah I concede that of course) ... someone like Xenolock might try each with no prior bias and gravitate towards BlackBerry 10. In fact I think he pretty much said that.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    03-10-14 01:54 AM
    Isn't this a rather narrow discussion of "multi-tasking" that is concentrated around the artifact not the person?

So for me, true person based multi-tasking rather than artifact multi-tasking also includes scenarios where I'm typing something here on my desktop and the same time, I say to my phone "remind me to get the contract documents when I'm at the University of Manchester" and the phone sets a reminder without me touching it to start the process. That to me is the start of true multi-tasking because it's based around my interaction with multiple artifacts not the internal working of one artifact.
    03-10-14 04:52 AM
    I have experienced Samsung Android, Motorola Android, IOS 7 (for a very short time, setting up my wife's 5C), pure kit kat on a Nexus 4, BBOS 4, 5, 6, and bb10 on a touch screen only, and a querty/touch screen. Every phone has its differences, of that there is no debate. The "experience" that we are trying to define, here, I feel must come from the visceral response to the device. In my case, my BB experience involves the qwerty keyboard, now on the Q10. I do not know if this can be quantified, and marketed to. Obviously, RIM / BlackBerry hasn't done that good a job of it. Could this be something like pheromones for two people "connecting"? To me, there is just something immensely satisfying using a physical keyboard.
    03-10-14 05:31 AM
    Isn't this a rather narrow discussion of "multi-tasking" that is concentrated around the artifact not the person?

So for me, true person based multi-tasking rather than artifact multi-tasking also includes scenarios where I'm typing something here on my desktop and the same time, I say to my phone "remind me to get the contract documents when I'm at the University of Manchester" and the phone sets a reminder without me touching it to start the process. That to me is the start of true multi-tasking because it's based around my interaction with multiple artifacts not the internal working of one artifact.
    Multitasking for me in a phone (or computing device for that matter) is basically two things:

1. The phone is able to perform more than one task at a time, which hasn't anything to do with ME doing more than one task at a time. Simply put it's the phone loading a webpage or downloading a file in the browser while I'm doing messaging.
    2. The way I can handle and leverage the multitasking as a user. This means: how fast, easy and efficient can I, as a user, throw new tasks at the phone and switch between them.

And you're done. Let's take that supposedly superior multi window multitasking you find in Samsung phones. Dragging and dropping data from one window to another. Amazing somehow. But you have to see the whole process and you have to ask yourself how often will you use this on a phone. How will it make your life easier? What scenario is it you'd like to be able to set up a messaging app and the YouTube app in windows beside each other? Fact is, at least in my case, even on my laptop I barely use the multi window feature. Usually I just switch tasks through the task bar at the bottom. The reason for multiwindowing is basically a scenario where I have to actually work on two or more things that A) share a contextual sense with each other (to work on app A I have to see app B) and B) I work on them over a longer period of time (so that the process of setting the windows up pays off). I barely ever experienced such a use case on my phone. And finally, as said, the process behind it. How many steps do I have to perform until I have the two apps set up beside each other? How easy (from a navigational standpoint) are these steps? How long does it take?

Bottom line is that Samsung devices, for my taste and for what I seek in a phone, lack the same multitasking qualities as any other phone and the ability to multi window doesn't change that. Performing a task switch on my Z10 operated with one hand literally takes like 1 second and 1 thumb motion. I love this.
    wincyUt and xBURK like this.
    03-10-14 06:41 AM
    Disagree. Going in between apps using button press/double tap on Droid/iOS less efficient than BB10's implementation.

As for Samsung's implementation, multi-window not bad for larger screen tablet devices (7" and up). Multi-window on latest Windows 8.1 now seem to be worse off now.

Different because this "Decade Ago" way of forcing people to think about managing the processes on their phone is... Not quite a selling point. The Multi-Tasking on other devices is simply just as easy to access (easier in some places - just a button press on most Android/Windows Phones and a double press on iOS) and on some devices actual multi-tasking from a productivity sense is far superior to what BlackBerrry offers on their devices.

Even LG has made great strides there and I wouldn't be surprised if these features began to become more mainstream. Microsoft may eventually introduce some of that in Windows Phone given average device sizes (or they could just limit it to the bigger devices like they do with the third column on the start screen).

Posted via CB10
    03-10-14 07:42 AM

You would be surprised what kids can do. My kids, even my 4yrs old, knows how to use my Z10 & Z30 to find and play games; plus know how to close the apps when finished and heck, sometimes attempt to unlock my passwords.
    But to be very fair, my 4yr old also knows how to use all our Apple devices too.
    xBURK likes this.
    03-10-14 07:46 AM
    Disagree. Going in between apps using button press/double tap on Droid/iOS less efficient than BB10's implementation.

As for Samsung's implementation, multi-window not bad for larger screen tablet devices (7" and up). Multi-window on latest Windows 8.1 now seem to be worse off now.
    It makes me giggle when people make the "multi-window is useless on smaller devices argument. Think of it this way: For years people were productive on BlackBerry devices with 2.5 inch screens. You get the same real estate on each window using a 5 inch screen, unless you're using the keyboard.

And again, going between apps is the SAME TWO GESTURES on both Android and BB10. They're just reversed.
    xBURK likes this.
    03-10-14 01:02 PM
    Of course there's a BlackBerry experience. That's why the word experience is key. Any car can take you from a to b.. that's it's function. How it feels and does it though is unique to that car.. that's the experience. Same way with phones. They all have different os styles and different ways of achieving similar functions.. that's their experience.

Quite easy really. Go school your friend.

Posted via CB10 on my Z mfk'n 10!
    --TommesJay-- likes this.
    03-10-14 02:01 PM
    Of course there's a BlackBerry experience. That's why the word experience is key. Any car can take you from a to b.. that's it's function. How it feels and does it though is unique to that car.. that's the experience. Same way with phones. They all have different os styles and different ways of achieving similar functions.. that's their experience.

Quite easy really. Go school your friend.

Posted via CB10 on my Z mfk'n 10!
    Very true and on point.
    03-10-14 02:26 PM
    Truthfully all modern smartphones provide all the necessary features.

This includes push email, cloud based contacts, photo sharing and social networking.

Each manufacturer provides their own 'experience' and it's where users decide what's important to them. This is a good place to be, as opposed to holding necessary features hostage.

IPhone has the ecosystem. This includes higher QA on apps, and the 1001 cases/chargers/accessories. It tries very hard to appeal on a personal level to people, almost like a pet.

Android is popular, because many of the phones are free. They have a huge appstore, great integration with the whole Google suite and offer tinkerers with a phone they can tinker with.

Windows phone actually has great integration with all MS products, including sharepoint and exchange, as well as office products, including onenote. They are also trying to provide a unified experience between desktop and mobile devices.

Personally I'm not attracted to this level of homogenization, but realistically most people will never use all the features a phone has and this is something that looks familiar.

BlackBerry 10 provides a unique unified message box, terrific universal search and the best inter-app integration. What I mean is being able to take a picture, edit it and send it to my friend without ever leaving the camera app.

BlackBerry works how smartphones work in commercials. It also has the best typing experience in the unabridged history of smartphones.

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt and Bbnivende like this.
    03-10-14 03:15 PM
130 ... 3456