I know people will say no here, like how the apple crowd says Mac can't get viruses and only windows can. But seriously, does it have known exploits/viruses/malware for BB10?

I'm asking because I never get spam SMS/MMS, but recently got a string of them. I'm not sure if it was MMS and it downloaded anything?

BTW, how do I tell if something is an MMS vs SMS in the notification? And how do I stop MMS from downloading stuff automatically?

What is scary is I knew something shady was going on. I'm on the verge of doing a factory reset here. So I went to my Device Monitor and noticed that Android Player and Android Media Apps usage spikes at the same time the spam SMS/MMS messages were received. I don't have any Android apps and in a normal day the usage is basically zero for Android Player. But around the same time the messages were received (over a few days), those points in time correspond to spikes in Android Player usage. It is very blatantly obvious when you look at the graph. A few tall delta spikes at exactly the same time the SMSs were received.

What annoys me, and I didn't realize this, is my Fing BeBuzz automatically opens SMSs and displays the popup. I originally thought that SMS popup thing was a BB10 feature. But no, its a BeBuzz thing. So I turned it off now, but damage is done. It automatically opens SMSs for you, including any and all MMS media I suppose. So I've been opening SMSs from unknown sources thanks to BeBuzz.

I seriously think its an exploit of some sort. Maybe designed for android phones perhaps, but since BB10 is backward compatible with android apps, this poses an issue here too. Or maybe its a BB10 exploit also?
    03-13-16 01:56 PM
    No known malware, but adware can come from many sources you use without realizing it. Some of the companies sell your address to ad groups without your knowledge, and those are the ads that suddenly pop up in your SMS field. Sometimes, even your carrier contributes to this.

BB10 use is too miniscule for the vast majority of hackers to mess with, they get their jollies with much larger targets.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-13-16 03:47 PM
    Like said above if your information is out there, it's out there. If a company has gotten a hold of your phone number that spams people there's nothing BB10 can do to prevent that from happening besides you going in and blocking the number.
    03-13-16 04:00 PM
    Thats great and all, but not my point.

Getting the spam. Ok Whatever. The point is the phone should protect you if its secure even if you get a spam or an accidental wrong contact or whatever.

The fact the Android Player kicks into action, perhaps from a malware targeting android phones perhaps, is problematic.

I don't subscribe to the idea that BB10 is immune to malware anyway. That's the same attitude Mac and linux users have. "Oh we are a small target". No you're not. Everyone is a target, and the hacker may have priorities, but ultimately they want everyone. The cavalier attitude is counter productive from a security stand point. Clearly there are malware for the mac and linux too. As for BB10, the fact they now run android apps might also expose it to android malware. Case in point specifically my own experience. The fact the android player kicked into high gear the moment those messages were received is troubling.
    03-13-16 04:17 PM

Getting the spam. Ok Whatever. The point is the phone should protect you if its secure even if you get a spam or an accidental wrong contact or whatever.

The fact the Android Player kicks into action, perhaps from a malware targeting android phones perhaps, is problematic.

I don't subscribe to the idea that BB10 is immune to malware anyway. That's the same attitude Mac and linux users have. "Oh we are a small target". No you're not. Everyone is a target, and the hacker may have priorities, but ultimately they want everyone. The cavalier attitude is counter productive from a security stand point. Clearly there are malware for the mac and linux too. As for BB10, the fact they now run android apps might also expose it to android malware. Case in point specifically my own experience. The fact the android player kicked into high gear the moment those messages were received is troubling.
    Looks like it probably tried to execute some exploit code, but wasn't successful...?

Let's hope it got the "Google Play services missing" message in the background, lol... :-D

  There's a Crack in the Berry right now...  
    03-13-16 04:37 PM

Android apps are sand boxed on BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-16 04:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD