My wife likes to Geo Cache, so I was wondering if there is any free GPS software out there that allows you to input a LAT/LONG location and it will translate that into a map.

I don't want to get something like Telenav where I have to pay a monthly fee when I'm sure there is free stuff out there. I tried Google Maps, but it doesn't have a lat/long option..just street names and stuff.

If I can get that thing working, I'm sure I can convince her to get a BB and not an iPhone since she likes the iPhone for it's GPS..but that is the only thing she really likes about it and you can buy unlocked Curves on eBay at a good price.
    07-27-08 12:11 PM
    There are several free options. Check the Mapping and GPS forum down the list for the most information. There is even a thread there on Geocaching.
    07-27-08 12:23 PM
    I'm not sure you had the most recent version of Google Maps. I downloaded the newest one a couple of weeks ago. Last week I bought a GPS receiver and started geocaching using Google Maps. I wasn't sure it would work, but it did!

I input the coordinates like this:
    n 41 39.453 w 70 15.628
    It translates them to this: (it puts a degree symbol where I put 'o')
    +41o 39' 27.18", -70o 15' 37.68"
    You can also enter the coordinates in that format:
    n 41 39 27.18 w 70 15 37.68

Free (aside from data usage), works great.

Enjoy!
    07-29-08 02:46 PM
    +1 on Google Maps...I'm a cacher, and it works great for me!
    07-29-08 03:18 PM
    Google maps is a super app.
    It's not true GPS, but its damn close
    07-29-08 03:20 PM
    Google maps is a super app.
    It's not true GPS, but its damn close
    Actually, Google Maps on my 8310 IS true GPS. It's very accurate.
    07-29-08 03:21 PM
    Google Maps is a really great program.
    07-29-08 03:29 PM
    i just wish Google Maps could load its maps as quickly as BB Maps.... it tends to be a little data intensive (thus slower) at times...
    07-29-08 03:42 PM
    absolutely, within 3 meters most of the time....
    07-29-08 03:42 PM
    I agree, I love my google maps. Telenav is cool for turn by turn if you are in the city but otherwise in the hills and stuff google in the only way to go.
    07-29-08 04:19 PM
    Doesnt it come with that maps program?
    07-29-08 04:25 PM
    Type www. Google .com /gmm , with out spaces on your BB browser. Its very accurate as far as turn by turn. No speach though. Not that I need it.. ie: Garman or Garmen, something like that. Its real good as well but not free..
    07-29-08 04:29 PM
    Doesnt it come with that maps program?
    Yes but not realy used once you find other programs. lol search the GPS and Navigation Forums................
    07-29-08 04:30 PM
    Well, after reading about using GOOGLE Maps for Geo-caching, I decided to try it. I took my handheld Garmin E-Trex8 GPS and my BB 8130 and went on a Geo-cache. I'm sold! the BB is certainly faster and easier to input and it was step-by-step just as accurate as the Garmin.

I am curious to see how it will work when I go hunting this Fall, as the area we hunt does not have cell service.
    08-20-08 03:15 PM
    ...I am curious to see how it will work when I go hunting this Fall, as the area we hunt does not have cell service.
    Without cell service, the GPS will still work, but Google Maps won't be able to download maps. I hadn't used Google Maps without cell service, so I just conducted a test. I turned off the Verizon network and turned on my external GPS. Google showed my location to 3-m. When I zoomed out, Google can't download the maps it needed, so it showed my blue dot in the small map, surrounded by a pale pink grid where the larger map would be. It also put up a dialog box complaining about its inability to access the network, and asking me to check my signal strength!

If you are hunting with a topo map, you might be better off with an app that reported your lat/lon. Here is a link to one: http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/app...ut-maps-20979/
    08-20-08 09:44 PM
    I just got my first BB. Lovin it. I had a Treo for a couple years, but I'm already addicted after 3 days.

Are there any free gps that will give you distances from "I'm here, now I'm here." Like in the 400-500ft range?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-23-08 10:35 PM
    Google Maps is EXTREMELY unaccurate for me. Always tells me I'm atleast 1700 meters away from my real location. Doesn't update in real-time and it shows me driving on undriveable terrain.
    08-23-08 10:42 PM
    I just got my first BB. Lovin it. I had a Treo for a couple years, but I'm already addicted after 3 days.

Are there any free gps that will give you distances from "I'm here, now I'm here." Like in the 400-500ft range?

Just about any GPS program will do that. GPS Display is an interesting free one. GPSed, Google Maps, BBMaps, Nav4All, amAze are all free. Try them and see if one does what you want.

Google Maps is EXTREMELY unaccurate for me. Always tells me I'm atleast 1700 meters away from my real location. Doesn't update in real-time and it shows me driving on undriveable terrain.
    You are not using it with a GPS. 1700-m means Google Maps is calculating your position from cell towers. With a GPS, Google Maps routinely tracks to 3-m accuracy.
    08-23-08 11:36 PM
    Just about any GPS program will do that. GPS Display is an interesting free one. GPSed, Google Maps, BBMaps, Nav4All, amAze are all free. Try them and see if one does what you want.

You are not using it with a GPS. 1700-m means Google Maps is calculating your position from cell towers. With a GPS, Google Maps routinely tracks to 3-m accuracy.
    You may be right.. Interesting way to find out where the cell towers are tho. I was actually going to drive to that dot 1 day just to see why it kept saying I was in that spot.

Still, I think 3-m accuracy may be a little farfetched.

Are there any free GPS that actually read turn by turn directions to you outloud? I don't wanna pay 150$ to garmin for their crappy program when I can buy the actual GPS unit for 50$ more.

08-23-08 11:59 PM
    3-m accuracy is just the GPS standard. It's not far-fetched at all. It's what you should get with any GPS app in optimal conditions.

CoPilot Live gave turn-by-turn spoken directions. I think they've ended their free offer though. The last time I looked the link was deactivated. Nav4All speaks, but people have been complaining about the directions being clipped. BBMaps does not. I don't know about amAze. All those are free. Try them and see if you like them.
    08-24-08 12:09 AM
    Nav4All can't find the GPS Sensor on my Curve 8330.

What garbage.
    08-24-08 01:27 AM
    amaZeGPS just underwent a massive upgrade and I highly
    recommend at least checking it out. It may turn out not
    to be for you, but truly worth a look.

New: Faster response to t/ball, addition of 3D maps, faster
    load and shutdown, much better recalc.

I still like Nav4All better, but I was very impressed with the changes
    amaZeGPS implemented. The old version was just unusable.
    08-24-08 01:32 AM
    amaZeGPS just underwent a massive upgrade and I highly
    recommend at least checking it out. It may turn out not
    to be for you, but truly worth a look.

New: Faster response to t/ball, addition of 3D maps, faster
    load and shutdown, much better recalc.

I still like Nav4All better, but I was very impressed with the changes
    amaZeGPS implemented. The old version was just unusable.
    True... I'm setting up amaZe now as we speak.

There are two version of amaZe for BIS and BES. If you download one and it gives you "Connection Problem", then download the other. It shouldn't work but it does.
    08-24-08 01:53 AM
    I'm on alltel and whenever I'm in maps, I can't find satelites. Any way to do that and is maps different than BBmaps?

08-24-08 07:35 AM
    I just downloaded GPSed and its not connecting to the satellite either. Any way to fix this or should I contact alltel?

08-24-08 07:46 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD