I recently tried AMAZE and they now charge. Is there a free Program the will tell you turn for turn?

Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-03-09 08:53 PM
    The GPS uses Data... so there is no free GPS.
    12-03-09 08:55 PM
    Sprint comes with sprint navigation, which is sweet. Google maps doesn't really do what you want, but that's what I use most of the time.

12-03-09 08:57 PM
    Please let me know if you find one since I am looking for a free app as well
    12-04-09 06:24 AM
    I have Amaze. And it was free. When did they start charging? I just got it in October.
    12-04-09 11:19 AM
    google maps is free
    12-06-09 11:56 AM
    I have Amaze. And it was free. When did they start charging? I just got it in October.
    amAze is still free for the basic version. I just downloaded it from their web site. Once installed, it immediately prompts you to upgrade to take full advantage of its features. LOL
    Last edited by andy957; 12-06-09 at 12:50 PM.
    12-06-09 12:41 PM
    Just bite the bullet and pay for one. A GPS app would require a lot of man hours for development therefore you will not get a totally free one.

I have a Garmin SatNav in my car therefore Google maps would be ideal for the only scenario i would need it. Do you really need one or is it more of a 'just for the sake of having it' feeling? I have plenty of things i dont need way beyond mobile apps!
    Last edited by anlygi; 12-06-09 at 01:03 PM.
    12-06-09 01:01 PM
    Nav4all is free and gives voice turn by turn directions unlike google maps.
    12-06-09 01:07 PM
    Gokivo works nicely.
    12-06-09 10:23 PM
    Google maps works great

12-06-09 11:09 PM
    I am going to try nav4all thanks

12-07-09 07:23 PM
    Gokivo works nicely.
    Unfortunately, Gokivo isn't free.
    12-07-09 09:02 PM
    I have asked this before, but if anyone knows of a gps nav app that takes preloaded maps, I'd love to know it. It is annoying that on the Palm Garmin uses pre-loaded, but on BB they download them as you go. It is painful on Roger's Edge (which often falls back to GPRS) network. I would gladly pay for that.
    ~S
    12-08-09 09:21 AM
    Unfortunately, Gokivo isn't free.
    Yes it is, I use it often and it is free. Check appworld, not gokivo site.
    12-08-09 09:24 AM
    not too impressed wit NAV4ALL..............

12-08-09 10:22 AM
    I have asked this before, but if anyone knows of a gps nav app that takes preloaded maps, I'd love to know it. It is annoying that on the Palm Garmin uses pre-loaded, but on BB they download them as you go. It is painful on Roger's Edge (which often falls back to GPRS) network. I would gladly pay for that.
    ~S
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f41/gps...t-data-147262/

You are using a program like Googleak for this.

In essence what you are doing is downloading every section of an area of a map (from zoomed out all the way to zoom in all the way and every one in between) to your computer, setting up a structured tree folder perfectly, so that when you use a program like Trekbuddy or another program that can use this data, it pulls maps from your memory card instead of OTA.

However, as I did this on my old Pearl 8110 before I got a data plan on my newer phone, I can say from experience that it takes forever to download data from a region, takes up a lot of memory, and is difficult to get working correctly as everything has to be in a precise order and location.

Cliff-notes: It's possible, but not really viable based on difficulty and time spent to limited gain.

But if you want to have a shot at it, go for it. Like I said, you need a large memory card especially if you want a lot of map data. You have to structure your memory card perfectly for it to work. And you'll want to use a computer in between to download all this data (the faster your connection the better)

If you do all this then yes, you can disable your data, run the program, turn on your GPS, and maps will load from your memory card and not OTA. Don't expect things like turn by turn though....essentially you're downloading a highly structured tree of pictures.

EDIT: Past this, no GPS Navigation Program uses pre-loaded maps on the Blackberry, all OTA. I do miss this feature as on my Tilt I have TomTom which uses Pre-loaded maps, so I could use GPS, get driving directions, and never be hit with data charges.
    12-08-09 10:53 AM
    Google maps offers a free GPS program. You can download it from your phone at google.com. It works nicely as I have driven cross country with it quite a few times.
    12-09-09 09:12 AM
    bb maps is better than google maps, in my opinion, and it is FREE!
    12-09-09 10:43 AM
    If not better it is close. Close enough for me not to bother with gmaps for my purposes. Although gmaps has voice now.
    ~S
    12-09-09 10:59 AM
    This guy did nice analysis Blackberry GPS Software
    12-10-09 07:23 PM
    I also use Gokivo for free from app world and I love it...works better than the Garmin I bought for my car from Target
    12-10-09 11:40 PM
    I also use Gokivo for free from app world and I love it...works better than the Garmin I bought for my car from Target
    You probably have not used Gokivo for months already?

Months ago, when I was traveling in Chicago area and desperately need GPS nav. Gokivo hold my neck and asked for $10 a month. I refused to pay, so I was lost in a dark and dangerous neighborhood.

I cannot believe your Gokivo still works without paying $10 a months.
    12-11-09 02:02 PM
    I am looking for a free Satvav, on Gokivo site it states only Voda can be used on 8900, i am on orange.

Shall i just get google maps ??

Cheers
    07-17-10 02:21 AM
    Lifeinpocket
    07-17-10 03:31 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD