I've had a number of Blackberries and am in the market for a new phone. But the KeyOne is too big for my taste. I liked the size of the Bold line of Blackberries. Any chance we will see a new Blackberry released with a keyboard but around the size of the Bold?
    08-31-17 10:43 AM
    Not anytime soon., next two phones will be SLABS it seems....

If you are in the market now.... KEYone is it, unless you want a SLIDER or can deal with BBOS or BB10.
    08-31-17 11:01 AM
    Phones that small had very small screens, and the apps and OS was built to use a cursor for navigation, which is why BBs had a trackball or trackpad.

Modern BB-branded phones run Android, an OS that's designed for touch use, and you can't have tiny touch zones and have a usable app, so Android has minimum screen sizes for phones. Nothing less than about 3.5" is going to be supported, so you're never going to get a tiny Bold-sized Android PKB phone - the K1 is about as small as it's going to get.

So, either stick with BBOS until your carrier decommissions BIS (you don't have long to wait in the US), or go ahead and accept that your next phone is going to be bigger and you'll have to adjust.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    08-31-17 02:30 PM
    I had a 9810 Torch slider, then Classic and now PRIV.

Quite frankly, I like the larger screen - I can quite comfortably use my PRIV to read a book, whereas I couldn't do that on the 9810.

I think that the "small, elegant" form factor has likely had its time and won't be available in the future.
    08-31-17 03:54 PM
    I have always dreamed about a bold sized BB10 phone,but it won't happen anymore.

Via classic
    08-31-17 10:25 PM
    I have always dreamed about a bold sized BB10 phone,but it won't happen anymore.

Via classic
    I remember many taught the Q5 was too big.. they wanted a CURVE.

You either adapt to changes, or you go the way of other unadaptable life forms on this planet.
    09-01-17 10:43 AM
    Phones that small had very small screens, and the apps and OS was built to use a cursor for navigation, which is why BBs had a trackball or trackpad.

Modern BB-branded phones run Android, an OS that's designed for touch use, and you can't have tiny touch zones and have a usable app, so Android has minimum screen sizes for phones. Nothing less than about 3.5" is going to be supported, so you're never going to get a tiny Bold-sized Android PKB phone - the K1 is about as small as it's going to get.

So, either stick with BBOS until your carrier decommissions BIS (you don't have long to wait in the US), or go ahead and accept that your next phone is going to be bigger and you'll have to adjust.
    The 9900 is wider than an iPhone SE which allowed for larger fonts on the 9900. They could offer a taller screen in a Q10 style chassis using a PKB the size of the Q10. With updated specs, this device could be a great mobile device for text heavy users. A revamped Android Q10 could fit in as a lower priced BlackBerry PKB. Some would say the market is too small but I am not so sure.
    09-01-17 10:58 AM
    The market for the K1 is pretty tiny as it is. At this point, I'd be shocked if 50,000 of them have been sold (granted, I'm not sure that many have actually been manufactured) - and this is a phone that was announced in Feb and released 3 months ago. Given the very high costs and incredible complexity of making a smartphone, I doubt the K1 is going to break even. To make something that's an even smaller niche is not going to make any financial sense.

IMO, PKB fans are quite fortunate that the K1 even exists, and would be advised to support it by buying one, because the future of phone keyboards in their entirety are likely to be determined by its "success."
    Bbnivende and StephanieMaks like this.
    09-01-17 11:07 AM
    I remember many taught the Q5 was too big.. they wanted a CURVE.

You either adapt to changes, or you go the way of other unadaptable life forms on this planet.
    what?who are you to tell me what to do?
    that is my personal opinion and is based on my personal wishes,i don't need to adapt on your standars. wtf..
    09-01-17 11:09 AM
    The market for the K1 is pretty tiny as it is. At this point, I'd be shocked if 50,000 of them have been sold (granted, I'm not sure that many have actually been manufactured) - and this is a phone that was announced in Feb and released 3 months ago. Given the very high costs and incredible complexity of making a smartphone, I doubt the K1 is going to break even. To make something that's an even smaller niche is not going to make any financial sense.

IMO, PKB fans are quite fortunate that the K1 even exists, and would be advised to support it by buying one, because the future of phone keyboards in their entirety are likely to be determined by its "success."
    What do you make of the claims by BBMobile and news sources that the KEYone has been a big success?

Posted via CB10
    09-01-17 11:10 AM
    What do you make of the claims by BBMobile and news sources that the KEYone has been a big success?
    They're meaningless marketing spin without any numbers. Sure, they've sold them as fast as they've hit the market - but only a tiny number have hit the market, relative to most manufacturers. Apple sells more iPhones every HOUR that the K1 has likely sold to date. Granted, they aren't direct competitors, and as I said, it's not that there aren't any buyers - TCL just hasn't produced very many. But that's also bad in the tech industry as tech ages so quickly, and they'll lose lots of sales to people who want a K1 but either can't wait to buy a phone or just refuse to buy a phone with older specs at a high price when newer, cheaper phones are available.
    09-01-17 11:16 AM
    that is my personal opinion and is based on my personal wishes,i don't need to adapt on your standars. wtf..
    I was kinda agreeing with you....

If they don't make what some want... they'll have to adapt. And based on Google's resolution requirements, they aren't going to make the smaller sized devices that some here want.
    09-01-17 11:36 AM
    Thanks for the responses. I don't really use a phone for the web, really just emailing, texting and calling. Which is why the smaller size is perfect. I can't be the only one out there with those priorities. Maybe not enough of us to make a difference though.
    Mrs Teapot likes this.
    09-01-17 11:56 AM
    You don’t have to adapt to the standards of the market, but neither does the market have any obligation to cater to your specific wants.
    MikeX74 likes this.
    09-01-17 12:14 PM

Right now you are just guessing.

CB10 on my Classic
    09-01-17 12:35 PM
    Thanks for the responses. I don't really use a phone for the web, really just emailing, texting and calling. Which is why the smaller size is perfect. I can't be the only one out there with those priorities. Maybe not enough of us to make a difference though.
    Sounds like you only need a feature phone like the Alcatel 871A or ZTE Z 432
    09-01-17 01:42 PM
    You don’t have to adapt to the standards of the market, but neither does the market have any obligation to cater to your specific wants.
    you've just isulted the intelligence of an elephant....
    did i mention that i ask the market to adjust for my needs?read again my statement.....
    09-01-17 01:46 PM