Is there any way to solve this issue. To convert blackberry OS to android since there is no updates Coming in blackberry world. It's all getting outdated. My real question is since we have BlackBerry keyone in the market similar to passport which is running with a android... isn't it. Possible to reprogram the android of keyone to suit in blackberry passport. Will It be possible by someone.

I am a regular blackberry user since 7 years. I don't want to change passport since it has a bigscreen.

Please advice me some solution
    12-12-17 03:45 AM
    12-12-17 04:32 AM
    Is there any way to solve this issue. To convert blackberry OS to android since there is no updates Coming in blackberry world. It's all getting outdated. My real question is since we have BlackBerry keyone in the market similar to passport which is running with a android... isn't it. Possible to reprogram the android of keyone to suit in blackberry passport. Will It be possible by someone.

I am a regular blackberry user since 7 years. I don't want to change passport since it has a bigscreen.

Please advice me some solution
    No first
    Key one uses 3:2 resolution which is supported by android and a.recent.proccessor
    The passport only supports 1:1 which isn't supported along with an older processor and blackberry isn't really interested in moving legacy users to android there is no money in it

Plus the root.of trust would.prevent you from.doing. Anything unoffically
    12-12-17 11:01 AM
    They promised they would give us Android on the Passport as soon as people stop posting threads asking this.

So, in other words, it will never happen.

For the other logical reason that it won't, even if it were possible (or permitted) what would BlackBerry stand to gain by doing this? Shareholders are happy that they've pulled the plug on their hardware and reduced the cost of OS maintenance by building on Android rather than maintain an entire OS of their own.

Lastly, have you seen any of the complaints about the Priv (heating, battery life, lag)... you can multiply all of those complaints by at least double or triple if they tried to run Android on the Passport. It just wouldn't Be pretty.

The Passport is great but, unfortunately, it's glory days are behind us. Keep using it as is because it's not going to get any better. And putting Android onto it, even if it were possible (which it isn't) would make it much worse, not better.

The KEYone is a pretty solid offering. If you want Android but also to be able to keep that keyboard, that's your best option right now.
    12-12-17 12:56 PM
    as of my knowledge there should be a way to figure it out. as blackberry users are very less these days . developers are not giving time to figure this out .
    @SuperDarkr. are you a developer ?? .

if there is will there is a way
    12-12-17 01:17 PM
    Generally not on BlackBerry devices because of their security. Secure devices aren't good if you want to tinker with them.
    12-12-17 01:57 PM

There was a will to root the Priv when it first came out.

As of now, just over 2 years later, no one has found a way.
    12-12-17 02:24 PM
    as of my knowledge there should be a way to figure it out. as blackberry users are very less these days . developers are not giving time to figure this out .
    @SuperDarkr. are you a developer ?? .

There is scaling but that rarely works.well on keyboard DEvices

Are you sure you are.thinking of the.right company?
    You do know.that blackberry will sue the pants off of any developer who breaks the root of trust
    They have contracts.they have to honor.and.keep.their certifications for

Leaving holes for.anyone to bypass their secure products so they can do anything they want is dangerous for a company

Google dingleberry the short lived rooting which did nothing for the PlayBook before it was killed
    Last edited by SuperDarkr; 12-12-17 at 03:29 PM.
    12-12-17 03:16 PM
    No, because BlackBerry is out of the hardware business.
    12-15-17 09:16 PM
    as of my knowledge there should be a way to figure it out.
    Not to be rude, but the reason you think this is because your knowledge on the subject is limited. Please allow me to broaden your perspective with a detailed explanation. Android powered blackberries, BB10 powered blackberries, and legacy devices (pre-BB10 blackberries) are all built so that the hardware will ONLY accept signed software. This signing is done with a key, a key that only the makers of the software possess. Now, BBOS, BB10 and blackberry Android all use different signing keys. So none of the hardware will accept software that is signed with a different key than what it is programmed to accept. There is absolutely no way to break that encryption so even if you were to get ahold of the signing key, which in itself I can guarantee will never happen, it's not possible to reprogram the hardware to accept software that is signed with the wrong key. On top of that, the software for each device contains drivers for every individual component of the device, as in the screen, camera, processor, keyboard, headphone jack and radios. So in order to reprogram a BB10 device to run Android you would need to reprogram the hardware to accept software signed with the wrong key (impossible) then code the old drivers to the new software (also impossible) now if there's any developer out there who can do that, he's worth billions (there isn't anyone like that). From a simpler perspective, it's like trying to take a version of Android designed for one phone and put it on another (also impossible). I hope that I've expanded your knowledge and you no longer incorrectly believe that something impossible is possible. I really tried to drive my point home so I hope it hit the mark. Have a great day.
    Smokeaire likes this.
    12-15-17 10:05 PM
    No, because BlackBerry is out of the hardware business.
    It seems more as if BlackBerry limited has partnered up with TCL to manufacture the phone sort of like a sub contractor
    12-17-17 04:03 AM
    It seems more as if BlackBerry limited has partnered up with TCL to manufacture the phone sort of like a sub contractor
    That's what BlackBerry did with TCL with the DTEK back in 2016. Now instead, TCL just licenses the name from BlackBerry since BlackBerry themselves left the hardware business after that.
    RoseBud68 likes this.
    12-17-17 06:09 AM
    That was actually what the situation was with all BB phones - BB had a small prototype factory that could produce small runs, and was used to suppliment production, but the vast majority of BB phones were always manufactured by subcontractors. Most BBOS devices from about 2008 were made by Jabil Circuit, who continued through the BB10 Z30. Wistron made (IIRC) the Classic, Passport, and Priv, Foxconn made the Z3 and Leap, and TCL made the DTEKs (the DTEKs being based on existing TCL phones). Oh, and Quanta Computer made the Playbook and the Kindle Fire tablets (both based on the same Quanta reference design, though with different options).

But in all of those phones, BB did most of the design work (with the exceptions noted), and paid for all of the parts, manufacturing, distribution, marketing, etc. BB carried all of the risk - if the phones didn't sell well, BB had to eat the costs of having to discount them to move them, as well as all of the other costs.

Starting with the K1, and now with the Motion, BB is only licensing their name and providing the OS mods and software. TCL (and the other two partners, for their more limited regions) now bears all the risk - they have to buy all the parts, pay for all of the distribution, marketing, support, etc. The relationship is now almost the reverse of what it was before, except that BB supplied the software in both situations. BB is effectively uninvolved in the hardware/manufacturing/advertising/distributing/support side of the business - all those decisions, costs, and risks are now on TCL.
    INFOmuzRON likes this.
    12-20-17 12:42 PM
    Starting with the K1, and now with the Motion, BB is only licensing their name and providing the OS mods and software. TCL (and the other two partners, for their more limited regions) now bears all the risk - they have to buy all the parts, pay for all of the distribution, marketing, support, etc. The relationship is now almost the reverse of what it was before, except that BB supplied the software in both situations. BB is effectively uninvolved in the hardware/manufacturing/advertising/distributing/support side of the business - all those decisions, costs, and risks are now on TCL.
    And only TCL is an actual builder..

BB Merah Putih hired out the designing and building of the Aurora to a local OEM.... and really hasn't been involved much in updating it. Or in planning any other devices.

Optiemus has been a distributor for BlackBerry devices in the past... at one point there were planning to have some devices built for release in June/July under that licensing arrangement, but that didn't happen (suspect the Aurora sales were an eye opener). All they have done so far is make deals with BBMo and BB Merah Putih to distribute their devices..... no risk to them. (at some point start making them in country... but no one has spotted one of those yet.)
    Bbnivende likes this.
    12-20-17 01:50 PM