This is just me thinking but I don't think RIM is going to let the Java OS die quite as quick as many are believing.

Everyone keeps talking about how secure the current OS is and how it is the government standard for mobile security. For this reason, I think we will see BlackBerry OS8 and possibly even 9 (Java).

These OSs will be almost exclusively intended for business and government. This will give RIM the time to refine and secure BB10 (QNX) and make it ready for security sensitive environments.

Another reason for my theory is that RIM has continued development on their Java apps as we have all seen with recent updates. This continued development really makes sense if they don't plan on setting the OS out to pasture.

Crazy, or does it hold water?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    morganplus8 likes this.
    04-25-12 11:09 PM
    Of course it will live on to a certain extent -- there is 75 million+ users out there with it in their hands, it has technically over a 10 history.. all of this in addition to the fact they will still be releasing BB7 devices in emerging markets. The BB Java OS will rage on for years. it's just not going to be the focus of RIM any more as they need to move on to stay relevant.
    04-25-12 11:17 PM
    Bla1ze...I just watched the video on this guys vision for OS 8...it looks so sweet...do you think RIM will release an OS 8 that is that drastic of a change?
    04-25-12 11:20 PM
    This isn't a theory. RIM has explicitly stated this is the plan. BB10 will serve the high end of the smartphone market while BB7 will serve the lower end.

Although this might have changed since the delay to BB10, but I don't believe that is the case.
    04-25-12 11:22 PM
    Addicted...you are saying that RIM will continue BB7 to serve lower end devices...they will have to continue updating the Java OS in order to sell those devices...has RIM stated they will continue development on that OS? I would love for them to continue the Java OS...but it wouldn't make sense to continue financing that OS and have two completely different ecosystems under the BlackBerry brand
    04-25-12 11:36 PM
    RIM will definitely have the Java based OS for a few years to come... There are multi-millions of phones out there that have lower specs (which it is able to effectively run and operate on) and they would like to place a foot hold into emerging markets (smart idea if you ask me considering the human breeding condition).

With the progression of technology and the already started progression into the next phase of RIM (BB10), the Java based OS will be phased out along with the progression of cost to tech performance ratio.

It's a model business strategy for their current position and future... As with any business looking for the next step...
    Last edited by ayekon; 04-26-12 at 12:11 AM.
    04-26-12 12:08 AM
    Addicted...you are saying that RIM will continue BB7 to serve lower end devices...they will have to continue updating the Java OS in order to sell those devices...has RIM stated they will continue development on that OS? I would love for them to continue the Java OS...but it wouldn't make sense to continue financing that OS and have two completely different ecosystems under the BlackBerry brand
    I am very sure this was the stated strategy when we first heard about BB10 but I cannot find any links now to back this up. Someone please correct me if I am wrong, or provide some source if I am right (will try and look for 1 after work).

The idea was that BB7 devices, like the curve would serve international markets where data networks are not as well developed, and serve the lower end of the market where touchscreens were not viable.

Of course, as we are seeing now, this is not true anymore. Touchscreen devices based on Android are hitting lower price points, and are making great inroads in more price conscious markets. So I am not sure if this is indeed a viable strategy going forward.
    04-26-12 01:53 AM
    Unless RIM plans on giving free upgrades to BB10 phones to everyone who currently owns a BlackBerry phone, the Java OS will live on.
    04-26-12 08:07 AM
    I think they'll put BB10 on all the new devices asap - high end to low end
    04-26-12 08:22 AM
    It will live on in the sense that people will have it on their phones, but there won't be a BBOS 8 or 9. Waste of time, BB10 will be perfectly secure, and if it's still not secure enough for high level government agencies at launch (where security is the key factor), no matter, as BBOS 7 is still more secure than any alternatives so they can keep using that until BB10 reaches a level they are happy with.
    04-26-12 12:22 PM
    RIM has said that they need a dual-core OS for BB10. Whether or not that's an actual technical limitation, low end hardware will still be running BB7 for the next while. I believe BB10 will be a "Superphone" only OS for the first couple years, and will slowly make it's way to the very low end.
    04-26-12 01:24 PM
    This is just me thinking but I don't think RIM is going to let the Java OS die quite as quick as many are believing.

Everyone keeps talking about how secure the current OS is and how it is the government standard for mobile security. For this reason, I think we will see BlackBerry OS8 and possibly even 9 (Java).

These OSs will be almost exclusively intended for business and government. This will give RIM the time to refine and secure BB10 (QNX) and make it ready for security sensitive environments.

Another reason for my theory is that RIM has continued development on their Java apps as we have all seen with recent updates. This continued development really makes sense if they don't plan on setting the OS out to pasture.

Crazy, or does it hold water?

Sent from my BlackBerry Runtime for Android Apps using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
    It's no a theory, it was confirmed they will continue on in parallel, one high end one low end.
    04-26-12 01:34 PM
    I say if BB10 launches this fall, Java OSes will be supported until 2015 on current OS7 devices, other than that.. death
    04-26-12 01:37 PM
    It will live on in the sense that people will have it on their phones, but there won't be a BBOS 8 or 9. Waste of time, BB10 will be perfectly secure, and if it's still not secure enough for high level government agencies at launch (where security is the key factor), no matter, as BBOS 7 is still more secure than any alternatives so they can keep using that until BB10 reaches a level they are happy with.
    Actually, the PlayBook in its current form actually is FIPS certified so it meets the government security standards. All BB10 has to do is add on to that for enterprise and government, especially as Android and iOS gain ground and become more of a ground for malware writers.
    04-26-12 02:00 PM
    I never meant to imply that RIM would pull the plug on Java. I meant that development would continue and we might even see two sides to the business. One would be enterprise and one consumer. I imagine that we might actually sEe the two sides branded differently. One remains BlackBerry and another becomes something new under RIM.
    04-26-12 02:36 PM
    Of course they will hang on.
    Think of how long people generally hold onto their BBs, think of all those apps in App World. You didn't think all an Y2K-sque truncation will be implemented did you?
    04-27-12 04:40 AM
    Seeing how popular current BlackBerry devices are world-wide, the current OS will be around for a while. It will all depend on how quickly BB10 catches on, and just in the North American markets.

There are still many companies that rely on BES for security, MDS, and MVS. BB10 would have to handle all of those services before some corporations would switch out current devices.

I remember meeting with one business professional. His office extension was on his BB (via MVS), and the apps he was using on bis BB gave him real-time inventory and ordering, along with access to contracts and other secure documents, all through MDS. Pretty much, his entire office traveled with him on his BlackBerry. All of that would have to move over to BB10 before his company could drop the current OS entirely.

I think a lot of us only see the email side of BES, and not how it also provides security to other sides of the business. All of that would have to be updated to BB10/QNX. I'm not saying it won't happen (of course it will), but it will probably take some time for it to all get converted, along with cross-platform support between the two systems. As long as corporations need BB5/6/7, it will still be around, even on the consumer side.
    04-27-12 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD