They rushed the OS out because they HAD too. Purposely leaving features out is laughable.

The clock was ticking and time was up.
    JeepBB, jpvj and NinjaB like this.
    02-02-14 09:17 AM
    I recently bought a Z10 for my cousins birthday present on Telus. I was going to sideload some apps for her before I gave it to her. Out of the box it was still on OS 10.0. I played around with it a bit and man has the OS come a LONG way. 10.2.1 blows it out of the water.

However I got thinking. Many super basic features we have in 10.2.1 was never on 10.0 on launch. For example battery percentage indicator, flashlight, larger pull down settings, screen brightness changer, resource manager, and the list goes on. Now I'm no developer but to me a battery percentage indicator is probably pretty easy to put in, and would not of caused further delay. However BlackBerry purposely didn't put these features in so developers could make battery percentage indicator apps, flashlight apps and so forth to inflate the number of apps in BlackBerry World. I mean think about it. If BlackBerry gave us 10.2.1 features in the beginning then I would never have downloaded or searched for at least 20 apps I had on my phone.

So BlackBerry purposely half baked 10.0 to provide lots of room for developers to fill consumer need, this pushing up app count. What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    I think they built the operating system from scratch using QNX. It was expected to have issues with it.
    02-02-14 09:40 AM
    OP, respectfully, what you describe is basically "shooting themselves a bullet in the feet".
    I can't believe this might be possible.
    propeller10, eldricho and bungaboy like this.
    02-02-14 12:40 PM
    I have never met a piece of software yet that did not get updated!

On my awesome BlackBerry Z30
    02-02-14 12:54 PM
    BlackBerry got a very, very late start making a modern smartphone operating system. They then got really ambitious by building almost the entire stack, instead of starting with a Linux base (as the rest of the industry has, sans Apple)

They then got to the point that they felt they just had to ship something.

That's pretty much the whole story, isn't it?

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk
    JeepBB, Drew808, jpvj and 1 others like this.
    02-02-14 12:58 PM
    You have a hypothesis not a theory

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt and dazzleaj like this.
    02-02-14 12:58 PM
    BlackBerry got a very, very late start making a modern smartphone operating system. They then got really ambitious by building almost the entire stack, instead of starting with a Linux base (as the rest of the industry has, sans Apple)
    Err, no, they bought QNX, they didn't start from scratch. QNX is essentially the same as your "Linux base". Building BB10 on top of Linux likely would've taken the same amount of time (and wouldn't have afforded any of the benefits of QNX).
    bungaboy likes this.
    02-02-14 01:30 PM
    Err, no, they bought QNX, they didn't start from scratch. QNX is essentially the same as your "Linux base". Building BB10 on top of Linux likely would've taken the same amount of time (and wouldn't have afforded any of the benefits of QNX).
    Except that the chipsets, radios, etc that BB now uses have Linux drivers already. Qualcomm and others do that work. That is a non-trivial amount of work (ongoing, in fact, with each new hardware release.)

Then you have the issue that Qt is better supported on Linux. Oh, and the Android runtime of course works on Linux out of the box.

How many phones were successfully running QNX again?

Davidro1 likes this.
    02-02-14 01:40 PM
    My personal perception was that BlackBerry underestimated how much work it took to make a mobile platform ready on top of QNX.
    Specifically, the last delay, I had heard that most of the pieces were done but when they went to integrate them, they discovered it was going to be a lot more work to integrate and test than expected. They had every dev team in the company scrambling to create pieces, plus numerous third party contractors. By the time all the pieces came together, the final integration turned out to be huge.

To the original OP, I'm sorry but I don't agree with the theory either. The simple matter was that a) the stock was tanking; b) sentiment was arguably at its lowest because they were perceived as likely to die before BlackBerry 10 came out; c) they missed the deadlines already; and d) most important: BlackBerry OS sales were drying up fast
    02-02-14 01:49 PM
    The question comes up, of they had never attempted bb10 and went to os8 (or an updated os7) would they be #3 currently due to fast turnaround on "new" products. And if so would they be able to sustain that market position?

I think BlackBerry had to shoot themselves in the foot in an attempt to save their future. Market percentage may be down, and it may never come back. But without an update like bb10 it was only a matter of time anyways.

If Bb10 never comes out and they might be in a better place for the moment, but eventually that too would fail.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens in the future.

Posted via CB10
    dazzleaj likes this.
    02-02-14 02:05 PM
    It was obviously rushed to catch up to apple and droid and they just threw out what they had. The really fast continous work on the OS proves they are basically still developing it. It should have launched now 1 year later with 10.2.1 features. But they ahd to get it out fast or so they thot.
    02-02-14 02:31 PM
    In retrospect the decision to release 10.0 was a terrible one. It was extremely buggy. I almost returned my Z10 except that 10.1 came out just before I was to return it and that is what made me keep the phone. 10.1 at least stopped the constant re-booting that I was experiencing plus it resolved a host of other bugs. If they would have had at least 10.1 at launch, things would have been much better for BBRY. I don't know if they can recover from that terrible launch. I do hope they can re-launch the platform successfully.
    Think this was the case, the first real negative numbers I read after the launch was high number of returns.

My local best buy told me, every Z10 sold was returned. After many returns, slow sales, poor BB support, poor training, they stopped stocking units.

Bummer.
    02-02-14 04:54 PM
    I absolutely agree with you, OP jason. I'm still using my Samsung Wave with bada OS 1.2, because I can't move out from it - it's that feature rich. I spent some cash, installed XX apps, and I'm still faaar from the functionality of the Wave. The Z10 and BB10 is skinlessly naked compared to the bada 1.0 & 1.2. However Samsung did it just the opposite way, as they mutilated the OS with the 2.0 version, leaving out over 60 features - yet the newer, better apps run only on the new OS. That's not an ethical way of treating the user in any of these cases.

Yes, BB10 has a superior browser. A well-integrated hub, which is half-useless for me as I'm not on any social groupie sites, and I hate to work with emails on my phone. Call quality is better too on the Z10. Eerrmm... yup, that's it.
    02-02-14 05:01 PM
    Lol... it was like that, because that's the state the stabilized dev was the day they decided they couldn't wait more.
    Is there anything above, beyond or around that to understand... I'm not sure

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 05:04 PM
    OP, you really have some wild imagination. Hopefully "your mind gone wild" is not caused by the Super Bowl Fever.
    Seriously, what would have been BlackBerry's economic advantage to do what you hypothesized? Would developers making flash light, battery etc, have made up for the serious app deficiencies in BlackBerry World?
    02-02-14 05:07 PM
    Yes and no. They were hoping developers would fill the void but I don't believe that was the motivation for not putting in basic features. Two years is a very short time to create a new OS from scratch. And even if you look at videos from late 2012 you'll see that the OS was still under development and major changes were still taking place up to a little before launch. I think the bottom line is that there wasn't time to finish everything but they had to something out

Response crafted in seconds on a Z30
    02-02-14 06:30 PM
    I think your theory simply puts Number of apps as more important the the OS itself, wich I think is wrong. Apps are importante, but the OS foundations are much more important.
    02-02-14 06:34 PM
    Except that the chipsets, radios, etc that BB now uses have Linux drivers already. Qualcomm and others do that work. That is a non-trivial amount of work (ongoing, in fact, with each new hardware release.)

Then you have the issue that Qt is better supported on Linux. Oh, and the Android runtime of course works on Linux out of the box.

How many unmanned drones are running QNX? Those have a couple radios.

Posted via CB10
    02-02-14 06:56 PM
    Well, if that was their original plan, then that's only BBRY project that actually went as planned...
    eldricho likes this.
    02-02-14 07:07 PM
    I think you don't get it completely...Everyone complains about bloated phones. We got the stripped version and those of us who wrote in to Blackberry got our features added. Nice try though...If you have never written code for an os, you wouldn't know how much work it really is. I haven't myself but I did take a programming class in college in 1970 (got an "A") with Fortran and Cobol programming. With all the feedback from Crackberry users and customers of Blackberry they did a great job getting us this far in one year. No other platform (Apple or Android or Windows) has come this far in this short a time. Wait until you see what comes in the coming year.
    I recently bought a Z10 for my cousins birthday present on Telus. I was going to sideload some apps for her before I gave it to her. Out of the box it was still on OS 10.0. I played around with it a bit and man has the OS come a LONG way. 10.2.1 blows it out of the water.

However I got thinking. Many super basic features we have in 10.2.1 was never on 10.0 on launch. For example battery percentage indicator, flashlight, larger pull down settings, screen brightness changer, resource manager, and the list goes on. Now I'm no developer but to me a battery percentage indicator is probably pretty easy to put in, and would not of caused further delay. However BlackBerry purposely didn't put these features in so developers could make battery percentage indicator apps, flashlight apps and so forth to inflate the number of apps in BlackBerry World. I mean think about it. If BlackBerry gave us 10.2.1 features in the beginning then I would never have downloaded or searched for at least 20 apps I had on my phone.

So BlackBerry purposely half baked 10.0 to provide lots of room for developers to fill consumer need, this pushing up app count. What do you guys think?

Posted via CB10
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    02-02-14 11:14 PM

Considering that QNX is a proprietary UNIX based OS owned by BlackBerry...
    02-03-14 04:44 AM
    If that was actually BlackBerry's reason, then that would be the stupidest thing they could ever have done. But I doubt it.

Photo a Day: C002B5A07, my amateur photography Channel
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-03-14 06:13 AM
    I'm half agreeing with the OP. Stranger and dumber things happen in corporations than the OP's theory after all.
    02-03-14 10:37 AM
    BB10 was Half-Baked at launch because they had too many cooks doing the baking and they weren't using the same recipe. The PlayBook OS as it was once called had many issue with using the BlackBerry network, and required some major changes. Thus the announcement of a hybrid OS with a little bit of BBOS mixed in with QNX to give us BBX (and then BB10 once they figure out there was a trademark issue) Have to wonder if getting Email on the PlayBook might have hurt the development of BB10? Then I think you had too many people focused on their portion of the code and trying to refine and improve it and add features.... that would as a result break something somewhere else.

Personally I like how BlackBerry has built-in some features, and don't require you to open an APP. There is no doubt in my mind that if we had most of the big apps natively at launch, and if WhatsApp and Instagram were part of the HUB experience. A lot of people would have been very impressed with BlackBerry devices.

But NO OP this was not done on purpose... mismanagement YES, grand marketing scheme that went awry, NO.
    02-03-14 11:18 AM
    More strategic issue I fear, they have learnt the lesson
    02-03-14 12:28 PM
57 123