Digging Deep: Using BlackBerry Theme Studio 6 to Build Themes for BlackBerry 7

More than a year since the first OS7 was compiled - rather than releasing a Theme Studio (which is already so late that many OS7/7.1 devices have already been EOL by various carriers) here is a work around posted on the Blackberry Developer Blogs. Which seems largely based on the work done by the Theme Developers here on CB.

To quote briefly: Note that the method proposed in this workaround is by no means easy. It will require considerably more effort to get even basic themes working, but it can be used as a means to create themes until an official BlackBerry Theme Studio is released that supports BlackBerry 7 OS devices. Although these steps are being provided, this method of creating themes is essentially unsupported. Theme creation and stability will entirely be the responsibility of the developer; no bugs will be logged against this method of creating themes"

Any negative impression of this situation is only a result of brainwashing by the main stream media.
    01-31-12 06:06 PM
    Any word on whether theming will be available for BB10? I haven't seen any yet for PB..so it makes me wonder what's up?
    01-31-12 06:25 PM
    early word was no support. But it so early in the phone development - who knows? Remeber BB10 will not be in a store near you for at least 9 months. And that's if they deliver in Oct/Nov. as planned. That's a loooooong time to change the OS and the phone design. Remember the Blackberry 'M' - became the 9850/9860.
    01-31-12 06:30 PM
    Most of the themers have quit. GG RIM.....
    02-01-12 12:38 AM
    This now explains the addittion of the Theme section in BB world today. Tells you exactly what RIM thinks of its users.
    02-01-12 01:17 PM
    I suppose taking people off QNX development and working on OS7 themes would have given them a better face for the media.

Cant win.
    02-01-12 01:24 PM
    I suppose taking people off QNX development and working on OS7 themes would have given them a better face for the media.

Cant win.
    -Being able to theme OS7 devices like all previous ones might help sales and generates revenue for RIM in appworld from theme sales.
    -You're assuming there has to be a significant engineer allocation to get the theme creator up and running on OS7.
    -You're assuming said allocation would have a major negative impact on QNX development.
    -You're assuming they aren't already working on OS7 theme development ANYWAYS (which is why RIM was hinting at some updates for this and said they were working on it previously).

They're just being too slow, but it's too late now so it's all for nothing.

This isn't a media issue this is an existing userbase kick in the pants. Media never gave 2 craps about themes to begin with. Your logic is highly flawed.
    02-01-12 01:27 PM
    ****yawn****
    02-01-12 02:03 PM
    Blacklac - Are you Kidding me. Wow! The fanboyism is relentless. Really? Really a company the size of RIM can't marshall the resources to get out a theme studio with the release of OS7 devices and work on the next OS - Which of course are 2 totally seperate working groups.

Does that work for you with your bosses or products? "What you wanted me to arrive on time, and dressed properly?" "Look there are only so many hours in a morning!"

It's is precisely this type of attitude that has caused RIM's downfall.
    02-01-12 02:06 PM
    I wouldn't release Theme Builder7 either with all the brick issues.

Screw that....The less variables the better if I am putting out a new OS.
    02-01-12 02:10 PM
    As a further illustration this is how the last 2 years have gone.

Stock price at $163 -
    RIM, "What you wanted us to release a device this year AND not have a buggy as shi#@ Operating Sytem. Geez you just can't win with some of these people who expect that the world owes them everything. Now give me my $200 and sign this 2-3 contract and STFU!"

Consumers, "well - um, no thank you."

Stock Price at $12-15

Proabably no correlation.
    02-01-12 02:11 PM

Bricks aren't related to the themes though...

In addition, OS 7.0 has an issue where the phone will randomly stop charging and you have to reboot to enable charging again. OS 7.1 has an issue where audio will randomly stop working for calls, again you have to reboot....
    02-01-12 02:14 PM

Theme builder has been a column of the Blackberry experience since I first picked one up more than 7 years ago. It has also been a significant source of income for BB developers - which RIM needs on their side. It's a poor business decision made as a result of poor engineering oversight and a failure to oversee collaborations between various working groups. Or as many inside RIM have stated for the last 2-3 years, 'The way RIM does buisness'.
    02-01-12 02:14 PM
    If developers want to make themes for OS7, they can. (no thanks to RIM)
    If they want income, It is there for the taking.

I agree this was a crappy move not releasing TB7 . I was trying to be funny with the brick statment.

But, I wanted it & I made it happen. So can others.
    Last edited by molson0; 02-01-12 at 02:26 PM.
    02-01-12 02:23 PM
    You are certainly entitled to your opinion - But the fact is there is no theme studio for OS7 or 7.1 devices.

Sure they can develop for OS6 - they can even devlop for OS5 if they want. Not a great business model for developers to rely on when developing for expanding markets like IOS and Android is much easier.

And it still leaves allot of users who look forward to themes out in the dark. There is huge unfulfilled demand, and long time Berry users are dissapointed - - Not a good business model for RIM either.
    02-01-12 02:31 PM
    But, I wanted it & I made it happen. So can others.
    The problem isn't about whether you can make money on themes or not. The problem is the theme creator userbase at large will just move on, which they did...
    02-01-12 02:34 PM
    The problem isn't about whether you can make money on themes or not. The problem is the theme creator userbase at large will just move on, which they did...

Geeez.

You guys are making 2 different points.
    I will stop here & let you guys continue.

While this thread gets fulled up with BS, I will go do some more ground breaking OS7 theme work.
    Enjoy
    Last edited by molson0; 02-01-12 at 02:51 PM.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    02-01-12 02:38 PM
    Blacklac - Are you Kidding me. Wow! The fanboyism is relentless. Really? Really a company the size of RIM can't marshall the resources to get out a theme studio with the release of OS7 devices and work on the next OS - Which of course are 2 totally seperate working groups.

Does that work for you with your bosses or products? "What you wanted me to arrive on time, and dressed properly?" "Look there are only so many hours in a morning!"

It's is precisely this type of attitude that has caused RIM's downfall.
    Fanboy names... That's rich. I don't even use a BB phone.

I love that everyone here knows exactly how RIM is ran.
    maddie1128 likes this.
    02-01-12 02:38 PM
    While this thread gets fulled up with BS, I will go do some more ground breaking OS7 theme work.
    Enjoy
    Yeah, talking about theme creator news and rumors in the news & rumors section is BS...
    02-01-12 05:31 PM
    This now explains the addittion of the Theme section in BB world today. Tells you exactly what RIM thinks of its users.
    RIM isn't apathetic toward all its users, only you.
    02-01-12 06:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD