What would they exactly be feeling the heat from, just out of curiousity? An unreleased OS that hasn't been proven anywhere yet? Advertising is just that, advertising. Do you expect them not to target people looking at mobile OS platforms? Because I see BB ads when I open up XDA Forums, does that mean I can soon expect to see BB10 being hackable and moddable? Hardly. It is what it is, advertising.
    01-23-13 12:43 PM
    They had to ad blackberry 10 specifically to the search terms their ad pops up for.
    Yes, and what is BB10? Oh right, a tech related search.
    SixStringMadness likes this.
    01-23-13 12:44 PM
    They had to ad blackberry 10 specifically to the search terms their ad pops up for.

So by your line of thinking, they had one slot for a tag to target their promoted tweet? and they of course used #BlackBerry10???

Somehow I doubt it....

Gee, let me open my twitter account and check my promoted tweets..... I think I know a thing or two about promoted tweets.

Have you ever tagged a youtube video. You can tag it for a litany of things.....

Their focus is technology, not BlackBerry 10, so you add as many tags as you can think of that are technology related, and #BlackBerry10 and #BB10 are just two of many...
    01-23-13 12:47 PM
    Yes, and what is BB10? Oh right, a tech related search.
    Yes they targeted blackberry 10 because its made my a tech firm that is the competition. They didn't just submit their targeted ad to appear for "all tech searches". There is no way to identify that unless you use specific words. In this case, the words they chose were blackberry 10. No one is denying they don't target other companies or search terms, or other companies dont do this either. What is being said is that clearly Samsung wanted people to be distracted from a blackberry 10 search to see their ad
    01-23-13 12:47 PM
    I don't understand why you die hards are so adamant that the competition must be "shaking" and "quivering" at the release of BB10? You all yourselves have said, at one point or another, "it's just a phone people", and yet you all seem to want it to be so much more. Perhaps some of you have been insecure at the fact your brand of phone is no longer number 1, and that drives you nuts. Either way, starting threads like these lead to nothing but "wars" and personal attacks. It's not as if you need to be lined up on one side of the tech fence in order to enjoy technology as a whole.
    01-23-13 12:51 PM
    What is being said is that clearly Samsung wanted people to be distracted from a blackberry 10 search to see their ad
    Actually, no. What was being said was, Samsung was targeting BB10 because it was "scurred" and "feeling the heat"..not because it wanted to promote their product.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-23-13 12:54 PM
    just for the heck of it, I did a few #blackberry10 twitter searches...

Here are a few of the accounts promoting their tweets

VMwareWorkstation

Windows8

Silver Peak Systems

Fonality

I don't think Samsung, Sony or the above fear the release of BlackBerry 10. If companies spent time fearing what others did, they go belly up.....
    01-23-13 01:00 PM
    just for the heck of it, I did a few #blackberry10 twitter searches...

Here are a few of the accounts promoting their tweets

VMwareWorkstation

Windows8

Silver Peak Systems

Fonality

I don't think Samsung, Sony or the above fear the release of BlackBerry 10. If companies spent time fearing what others did, they go belly up.....
    I just did a search for WebOS and got a Samsung add...they must be really worried that those zombie phones are comin to get them!
    01-23-13 01:12 PM
    I just did a search for WebOS and got a Samsung add...they must be really worried that those zombie phones are comin to get them!

shaking in their boots....
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-23-13 01:39 PM
    has anyone tried an android search to see if blackberry come up
    01-23-13 01:57 PM
    but i dont think anyone is shaking in their boots at all over blackberry 10, since to date blackberry have sold zero units.

all the hype in the world means nothing if you dont perform on the market.
    if blackberry 10 sells 30 million units in the first month, then we can make those sort of declarations
    01-23-13 01:59 PM
    Samsung Executive Derp: "So? Did we get them?"
    Samsung Social Media Derp: "Get who?"
    Samsung Exec: "You know, all those BlackBerry users searching on "the twitter" for BB10? Well?"
    Samsung Social Media Derp: "Dude? Seriously? Slow down and explain to me what you are talking about"
    Samsung Executive Derp: "Well, we started that new social media marketing campaign a few weeks back, and I was wondering how we are doing."
    Samsung Social Media Derp: "Yeah......and......"
    Samsung Executive Derp: <rolls eyes> "We know RIM is coming January 30th with some announcement of a new platform. We also know through market research, that searches for BB10, BlackBerry, QNX, and other technologies are increasing. Anyways...we were told that when people searched for specific topics, they could be redirected to one of our ads."
    Samsung Social Media Derp: "Yeah...that's not really how it wo..."
    Samsung Executive Derp: "Yes it does. Someone on "the twitter" searches for hash tag BB10, and they automatically get an ad from us!!!"
    Samsung Social Media Derp: <eyes glaze over - thinks of all the information he could give to the exec about how promotional tweets and targeted trends really work. Begins to drift off, thinking of the halcyon days, when people would actually research the topics they wished to communicate about.>
    Samsung Executive Derp: "So? Did we get them?"
    01-23-13 02:36 PM
    Yes, Samsung has nothing to fear from RIM, is that why they never did an ad poking fun at them? Oh wait, they just did.
    01-23-13 04:20 PM
    They're not targeting BB10, they're targeting technology related searches.
    I don't think any amount of explanation will be enough to convince someone who is operating from an illogical dogmatic stance.
    01-23-13 05:22 PM
    I don't think any amount of explanation will be enough to convince someone who is operating from an illogical dogmatic stance.
    Pretty much this. Amazing how I can come on here after taking time away from this site, yet he still is very passionate about proving his points.

Some things never change.

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    01-23-13 08:56 PM
    I still don't understand why people don't get this: "targeted search terms" as in specific search terms not general terms like "technology" that would be a very very vague target don't you think?
    01-24-13 02:32 AM
    I don't think anyone questioned targeted searches. I think people are questioning if some understand how it actually WORKS.

It also goes by categories. If twitter or Google or Facebook or whatever the blue dilly sees someone repeatedly searching for #BB10 or #BlackBerry or #ResearchInMotion or #peoplewithirrationalhatredofeverythingbutBB those oh so smart little cogs will figure out "hey, this person is interested in cell phones/tech/OCD" and lo and behold you may see a Samsung ad, or a windows ad, or an iphone ad, or even a webos ad. If I #CharlieParker or #SelmerSuperAction80 I will start seeing targeted tweets about musical instruments and saxophones in particular. And I've seen it before when I've been doing non specific browsing and for the next week my tweets/browser ads are suddenly about what I was looking around for earlier.

It wasn't a question of people not getting it. It was a question of people thinking "wait, that's not how it works".

I had to get the red SGS3...garnet is my birthstone! Excuses sent via Tapatalk 2
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-24-13 03:10 AM
    I don't think anyone questioned targeted searches. I think people are questioning if some understand how it actually WORKS.

It also goes by categories. If twitter or Google or Facebook or whatever the blue dilly sees someone repeatedly searching for #BB10 or #BlackBerry or #ResearchInMotion or #peoplewithirrationalhatredofeverythingbutBB those oh so smart little cogs will figure out "hey, this person is interested in cell phones/tech/OCD" and lo and behold you may see a Samsung ad, or a windows ad, or an iphone ad, or even a webos ad. If I #CharlieParker or #SelmerSuperAction80 I will start seeing targeted tweets about musical instruments and saxophones in particular. And I've seen it before when I've been doing non specific browsing and for the next week my tweets/browser ads are suddenly about what I was looking around for earlier.

It wasn't a question of people not getting it. It was a question of people thinking "wait, that's not how it works".

I had to get the red SGS3...garnet is my birthstone! Excuses sent via Tapatalk 2
    That's true but I believe that's a different option to targeted search terms, there are more then one ways of promoting tweets as per twitter's link. The existence of one does not deny the other.
    01-24-13 03:24 AM
    All I get from this thread is..."A person convinced against their will is of the same opinion still"
    01-24-13 05:34 AM
    Pretty much this. Amazing how I can come on here after taking time away from this site, yet he still is very passionate about proving his points.

Some things never change.

Sent from a galaxy far away!
    Yup......very much agreed......twisting perception to match preconceived notions and grouping around myths is common practice.
    01-24-13 05:52 AM
    All I get from this thread is..."A person convinced against their will is of the same opinion still"
    Stop reading my mind, will ya??????
    01-24-13 05:53 AM
    Yah....WebOS is poised to turn the smartphone world on its head and Samsung is in panic mode, doing all they can.....
    01-24-13 05:54 AM
    If you haven't used promoted tweets it works both ways: you can target searches by basic searches (which would cover anything tech related) or specifically target keywords (which would cover people directly searching #BB10) . Also, if a segment starts trending and its part of your related field, like say WebOS is brought back from the dead and the entire tech world starts searching #WebOS, Twitter will automatically send up your promoted tweet to any search related to the trend.

Now whether Sony and Samsung are feeling the heat of BB10 - I just don't see it. If anything, as BB10 picks up steam on Twitter, the competition's promoted tweets are automatically included into BB searches.
    01-24-13 06:53 AM
    If you haven't used promoted tweets it works both ways: you can target searches by basic searches (which would cover anything tech related) or specifically target keywords (which would cover people directly searching #BB10) . Also, if a segment starts trending and its part of your related field, like say WebOS is brought back from the dead and the entire tech world starts searching #WebOS, Twitter will automatically send up your promoted tweet to any search related to the trend.

Now whether Sony and Samsung are feeling the heat of BB10 - I just don't see it. If anything, as BB10 picks up steam on Twitter, the competition's promoted tweets are automatically included into BB searches.
    Thanks for confirming how it works, as for the rest it is of course a matter of opinion, no facts involved. In my opinion they are feeling the heat, RIM has a great OS of their own where Sony and Samsung rely on Google and Android, out of their control.
    01-24-13 07:53 AM
    Thanks for confirming how it works, as for the rest it is of course a matter of opinion, no facts involved. In my opinion they are feeling the heat, RIM has a great OS of their own where Sony and Samsung rely on Google and Android, out of their control.

Lets try this again..... By the way, I manage a business twitter account.... So promoting tweets, well... I've seen the other side of it....... So yes, FACTS are involved.

We all understand they can tag certain searches, meaning Samsung can tag their ad to pop up when someone searches for #blackberry10, #BB10, #RIM, #QNX, etc

BUT, they would be wasting their time to tag just that, which is what you're implying when Samsung "feels the heat". They are not tagging their ad with solely BlackBerry searches. RIM is just not that big a threat to Samsung right now.

They will also have their ads tagged with things like #iphone, #apple, #android, #droid, #note2, #siri, #windows8, #windowsphone, #webos so on and so forth in addition to the typical BlackBerry has tags.

I'm not a Samsung defender, I'm a BlackBerry faithful. It just doesn't make sense that Samsung fears RIM. BlackBerry 10 is on their radar, but they are not in fear of it.

[Speculation] - For all we know, they might be eager to learn weather RIM will license the new OS or not, and they might actually be looking forward to it.....
    Rickroller and kevinnugent like this.
    01-24-13 08:37 AM
118 1234 ...