^Yup.

Federal government has been running BES forever. No issues.

Of course, everyone who is on the network uses BES. We don't have anyone syncing through DM and accessing the network. That would rather defeat the whole purpose.
    03-28-11 07:50 AM
    If I had to guess I would say the OP is just making up crap in an attempt to troll. He doesn't even know enough about BES to make it sound like BES some how screwed up.

Lol pretend time must be fun

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-28-11 07:51 AM
    Check out his post history.
    03-28-11 08:12 AM
    That's to much work for right now and especially from a BlackBerry lol.

Is it a lot of BES discussions?

03-28-11 08:21 AM
    1.) The Desktop Manager does not automatically update OS, one has to select "yes" or "no" to proceed.

2.) Your IT guy should have created a backup file either automatically or manually, so that if something like this should happen, it can be reverted to its previous state.

3.) You have great tech support, it's called the Crackberry Forums. Why don't you type in "Address Book Error" and find a fix?

4.) What are you synching the phones to? Outlook? Maybe it's the computer software that is the problem, not the phone.

This sounds like human error to me, not RIM error.
    I could not agree more. There is no way from the DM or even wireless OTA that you can update your OS w/o answering YES or clicking an OTA icon on your device.
    03-28-11 09:17 AM
    That's to much work for right now and especially from a BlackBerry lol.

Is it a lot of BES discussions?

A LOT!!! Tons.
    03-28-11 09:22 AM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it best practice to not use DM when you are activated with a BES.

Other than Media sync, DM doesn't do anything to an Enterprise activated phone?
    03-28-11 09:25 AM
    Yup. Defeats the purpose and circumvents IT policy and security, if possible at all.

We can't even log on to DM on our work devices. Which is why I say someone is writing some fiction.
    03-28-11 09:34 AM
    A LOT!!! Tons.
    If I guessed wrong I apologize.

I was just reminded of a co worker I once had who told me one day that the Dodge viper sucks, his reasoning for that was because the front seals on their V8 engines wore out and needed replaced often. Even though V8 vipers don't exist.

If you really are having problems with BES your probably going to have a lot more problems with any of the other enterprise solutions. Like others have said, BES may not be perfect but it is the best option that currently exists.

03-28-11 09:38 AM
    Oh, I'm not having BES problems at all. I was referring to the OP's issues.
    03-28-11 09:40 AM
    I'm Sorry, I should have designated that last sentence as being directed to the OP.

03-28-11 09:56 AM
    It would be a cost savings if you fired your IT staff and replaced them with people who know what they are doing. On a BES server only the admin can change the stuff you're talking about. Either that you are full of BS.
    I would go with the latter and say he's full of BS.
    03-28-11 10:53 AM
    ^ I don't know if you follow RIM news, but recent articles have basically outlined that RIM acknowledges its errors/moves, and have been working hard to release new everything (ie: the Bold with touchscreen, new intuitive devices, and OS 6.1 which in their words, will be "an entire overhaul")
    Who cares if RIM acknowledges its "errors/moves"? That doesn't mean anything until they actually follow through and deliver. I'm tired of hearing about RIM is going to do, I want to see them actually do something.
    03-28-11 11:02 AM
    To tell ya the truth, I think that Vaporbox is nothing more than a troll. And a very unknowledgable one at that
    03-28-11 11:58 AM
    Blackberry has been on the decline for quite some time, any company who isn't switching is going be severely disappointed in a few years.
    Buddy, either you've been living under a rock, or that crack pipe is taking over...

You might wanna back those statements up with some facts, otherwise, it just sounds like the ramblings of Peter Griffin.
    03-28-11 01:18 PM
    ^ I don't know if you follow RIM news, but recent articles have basically outlined that RIM acknowledges its errors/moves, and have been working hard to release new everything (ie: the Bold with touchscreen, new intuitive devices, and OS 6.1 which in their words, will be "an entire overhaul")

Since you cannot find a viable alternative at this point, I would suggest that you wait until Q3/Q4 this year to see if their new offerings hold up to your previous standards of quality.

In no way am I saying that Blackberry is the best phone for everyone in the universe; maybe you'll move over to something else and be thrilled... I just don't see Androids and Iphones being "business" phones...especially those with touch screens, both in terms of usability as well as corporate image; it's hard to take a corporate user seriously when he's showing me an iPhone app whose only purpose is to mimic an open flame...I meet with a colleague sporting a BlackBerry, I feel confident that they are organized and professional, and we're going to get right down to business....unless, of course, their ringtone is "Baby Got Back" ;-)
    Now why you got to dis my ringtone!!!!!!!! Actually it's China Cat Sunflower Patch, with a Disco LED, BUT I go to vibe only at a business meeting.
    03-28-11 01:45 PM
    Today was the last straw with RIM. ... so we have made the decision to do a rip out of all RIM software and devices.
    See ya, little clueless angry guy with 12 posts.
    03-28-11 02:40 PM
    Who cares if RIM acknowledges its "errors/moves"? That doesn't mean anything until they actually follow through and deliver. I'm tired of hearing about RIM is going to do, I want to see them actually do something.
    No offense But u Have a 6yr old phone!! Step up and get the Bold and then cry about rim IF your not satisfied!!!
    Last edited by Slammer; 03-28-11 at 02:50 PM.
    03-28-11 02:45 PM
    Okay, so go buy 10 Samsung Galaxies and have regrets when RIM puts out what they promise. Doesn't hurt me any

And as someone said, you're unhappy with an outdated phone. And a Curve, at that!

(Urgh, sorry, that all sounds a bit mean. I don't intend to be rude here, just trying to make a point that it would be in your best interest financially to wait 6 months to see if what RIM offers would be compatible with your company's needs before switching, rather than have a knee-**** reaction now and spend a lot of money on new phones, networks, implementation fees, educating employees, etc.)
    03-28-11 06:57 PM
    Yup. Defeats the purpose and circumvents IT policy and security, if possible at all.

We can't even log on to DM on our work devices. Which is why I say someone is writing some fiction.
    Well look at you, you little sleuth!
    03-28-11 06:59 PM
    Now why you got to dis my ringtone!!!!!!!! Actually it's China Cat Sunflower Patch, with a Disco LED, BUT I go to vibe only at a business meeting.
    Okay, you're pretty awesome, I concede! You must be like the Jim Halper from The Office

This may be a little too much information, but for the sake of a funny story, I must confess that my ringtone was once "Baby Got Back", until one day the Mister and I were, ahem, sharing a private moment, and my phone went off...I've never laughed so hard during an intimate moment...poor guy.
    03-28-11 07:01 PM
    Having supported mobility at the enterprise level for the past 10 years I'm giving the OP some slack and trying to understand this workflow. Desktop manager can be configured to sync to a PST but you state it cannot be in Exchange so how are these contacts being created? I assume locally in Outlook which you then manually sync via DM/USB. Do you have contact PIM disabled on BES?

We have not used DM since BES 4.0 but it does have its use.

Now I'll tell you now you have a pretty short search. Nothing on the market will do the local sync that you want. Maybe an older Windows Mobile 6.5 device. iPhone / Android have little to no support for Outlook sync. The del facto standard for corporate email is Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) which was mentioned. Thats not going to address offline sync though.

EAS is poor mans solution ofr mobility. The previous poster ommited many of the EAS policies do not extend to current devices. You need a flowchart to determine which EAS policies are supported on each device / OS and then your stuck either allowing said device/OS or making exceptions to your policy. EAS is also a open spigot for anyone to connect to. We disabled it 3 years ago when we audited connections and found over 900 people connecting through it. Now yes we could through AD enable / disable AD accounts one by one which is a b#tch, you still have zero metric, no asset management, no application deployment options, no secure VPN. It's free for a reason it's crap.

BES Express is fully free and a better solution.

Users who want another device option we now provide Good Technology which functional wise is maybe BES 3.6. Blackberry has set the bar so far for enterprise mobile management / sync I doubt anyone will get close in the next couple years. This is assuming RIM makes no improvements.
    03-28-11 08:46 PM

Since you cannot find a viable alternative at this point, I would suggest that you wait until Q3/Q4 this year to see if their new offerings hold up to your previous standards of quality.

In no way am I saying that Blackberry is the best phone for everyone in the universe; maybe you'll move over to something else and be thrilled... I just don't see Androids and Iphones being "business" phones...especially those with touch screens, both in terms of usability as well as corporate image; it's hard to take a corporate user seriously when he's showing me an iPhone app whose only purpose is to mimic an open flame...I meet with a colleague sporting a BlackBerry, I feel confident that they are organized and professional, and we're going to get right down to business....unless, of course, their ringtone is "Baby Got Back" ;-)
    I think it's pretty ridiculous to judge a business colleague on their cell phone.

To judge anyones business acumen by looking at their CELL PHONE is, well, silly.
    03-28-11 11:04 PM
    i dont run on BES nor have I played with the competition enough to see if it has better alternatives, but one thing is for sure.... theres a lot of bugginess in BBOS that makes me want to cry! I have multiple loop reboot issues that have yet to be answered, be it by the carrier, RIM, or even on here. The camera reset issue has been there for how many OS builds now???? Dup address book contacts, errors in DM back ups, etc etc. I'm not even talking about the limitations of the OS or the lesser hardware. I dont care about that so long as the darn thing works. I've gone though 3 Curves, 5 Storms, and 2 Bolds since I entered the BB game.

Now granted, I do push these things to the max when it comes to download, sync, and app time.... and probably more than the casual user! But what I have found is that there are a great number of "simplistic" bugs that make no sense in how they originated and still go unfixed. 2 or 3 things doing off at the same time potentially can confuse your BB to the point of bricking the device (use to happen to my curve more than anything). And as I said before, I do not use BES so I cannot speak to that. But I do use BIS and do see all the glitches in the apps and the OS and the relation between the 2. I have wiped and reloaded my OS about 20 times this year alone that I have become sort of an expert at the task. Files corrupt way too easily and it defeats the purpose of having a secure device if youre going to keep loosing your information due to bad software.

So I sympathize with the op in that I can see potential bugs happening on a large scale costing a lot f time and money to fix. Sometimes it can be user mistakes, this is true! But part of the blame does land on the phone makers back as well. If you have to walk a fine line with the OS and that makes the difference between fluidity and disaster then why walk that line at all and not choose the alternate pathway?? Its the manufactures duty to attempt to make thes things "kind of" disaster proof..... which blackberries are not by any means!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 03-29-11 at 01:28 AM.
    03-29-11 01:21 AM
    If I had a nickle every time I saw one of these posts. Too many people think that others care if your leaving blackberry, nobody really does. Please leave in peace instead of ranting and raving about RIM. Nobody will miss you. Your just one of many people that are leaving blackberry everyday. Somebody in that same time frame will be taking your place

03-29-11 02:33 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD