Finally. Anyone in Information Technology will tell you Adobe Flash is the worse piece of crap software ever written with probably the most number of vulnerabilities. Good Riddance

YouTube Engineering and Developers Blog: YouTube now defaults to HTML5 <video>
    Last edited by GoJaysGo; 01-28-15 at 12:39 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
    01-28-15 12:38 PM
    It's been on its way out for years, still not there yet though.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    01-28-15 12:42 PM
    Finally. Anyone in Information Technology will tell you Adobe Flash is the worse piece of crap software ever written with probably the most number of vulnerabilities. Good Riddance

YouTube Engineering and Developers Blog: YouTube now defaults to HTML5 <video>
    Well I would argue and say that JAVA is the worst then Flash!
    01-28-15 12:55 PM
    Well I would argue and say that JAVA is the worst then Flash!
    Ya, you're probably correct:

1) Java
    2) Adobe Flash
    3) Microsoft Office
    4) Anything else Microsoft...
    01-28-15 12:57 PM
    Still, too many sites use flash. Flash isn't going away any time soon. Popular sites like Yahoo still use it. Majority of all underground streaming still use it.

Posted via CB10
    01-28-15 01:57 PM
    Still, too many sites use flash. Flash isn't going away any time soon. Popular sites like Yahoo still use it. Majority of all underground streaming still use it.

Posted via CB10
    This should give some prompting, though.

Anyway, this should have happened long ago.
    01-28-15 01:59 PM
    The big 2 Canadian cable company recently launch Shomi to compete with Netflix. You can get access via the cable box, browser or their app (ios and android only).
    The android app doesn't work on my z10, the browser doesn't work on my z10 because of flash.
    Essentially, can't access this service with any Blackberry product.
    conite likes this.
    01-28-15 02:05 PM
    The big 2 Canadian cable company recently launch Shomi to compete with Netflix. You can get access via the cable box, browser or their app (ios and android only).
    The android app doesn't work on my z10, the browser doesn't work on my z10 because of flash.
    FYI, Shomi android app works fine BB10.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2072
    01-28-15 02:15 PM
    I wish it were quicker

 Z10
    01-28-15 02:39 PM

1) Java
    2) Adobe Flash
    3) Microsoft Office
    You realize Amazon.com's servers are all Java.

Twitter's servers are all Java.

All major "big data" processing/analysis servers (for crunching through exabytes of data) are written in Java (such as Hadoop).

Watson, IBM's super intelligent AI that beat some of the world's top jeopardy players, is primarily written in Java.

Posted from my awesome White Z30
    serbanescu likes this.
    01-28-15 02:40 PM
    They launched recently to compete with Netflix with only flash support?

Madness!

 Z10
    Alain_A likes this.
    01-28-15 02:41 PM

All major "big data" processing/analysis servers (for crunching through exabytes of data) are written in Java (such as Hadoop).

Watson, IBM's super intelligent AI that beat some of the world's top jeopardy players, is primarily written in Java.

Crap is crap, and Java is a big mountain of slowly, buggy crap. Period

Posted via CB10
    moosbb and kbz1960 like this.
    01-28-15 03:51 PM
    Just announced that youtube is actually switching to HTML5... so if something that big is... flash should not be long for the world.... last bastion will probably be advertising,,.,..
    01-28-15 03:54 PM
    ... last bastion will probably be advertising,,.,..
    And pirated content sites. Oh, and <ahem> adult entertainment.
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-28-15 04:00 PM

We use some very sophisticated point of sale systems that are written in Java as well. Plenty fast. Reliable.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    MarsupilamiX likes this.
    01-28-15 04:04 PM
    I see some confusion between

a. Java language (which is perfectly fine for coding secure, scalable applications)

and

b. Java Browser Plugin - an application that allows the running of Java web apps (applets) inside a browser (something like Adobe Flash Player, even if the underlying technology is different)

The one plagued by security flaws is Java Plugin. The Java language is perfectly fine (and beautiful, in my opinion)
    Last edited by serbanescu; 01-28-15 at 04:43 PM.
    kbz1960, TGR1, southlander and 3 others like this.
    01-28-15 04:12 PM
    I was recently referred to a few videos on Facebook. Some were sent to me by FB private message, some I was referred to the FB page in question. I think I watched 1 of those videos, because I couldn't get them to play on my Passport. What was the primary reason? That I no longer have Flash support in the browser. What a crazy frustrating experience. The one that worked I was able to search for the FB page in the app and got it to play in the app. I had no luck with the others, no matter what I tried it would open the browser and try to play through there, where I was greeted with a please update your Flash message.

Oh, yes, thank goodness... I thought I had one of the few phones on the market that would assure me this would never happen. Thank goodness I was wrong, or I would never know the frustration of finding out that I can't make one of the most basic things work.
    01-28-15 04:35 PM
    Thank goodness I was wrong, or I would never know the frustration of finding out that I can't make one of the most basic things work.
    Running Flash can hardly be defined as a "basic function" on a mobile device when NONE of the mobile platforms support it.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2072
    01-28-15 04:51 PM
    Just announced that youtube is actually switching to HTML5... so if something that big is... flash should not be long for the world.... last bastion will probably be advertising,,.,..
    Unfortunately, HTML 5 banner advertising is just as bad as Flash advertising.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    georg4BB likes this.
    01-28-15 05:22 PM
    Transition times.
    Flash on Linux stopped at 11.2 afaik... :-|

I dare to premdict that in less than 2 years (the careful make it three), we won't worry about that issue anymore. Maybe even find ourselves laughing. In I.T., where there's a demand, there will be a solution. Even if it takes a few months or a little longer...

Also, there's also the idea of using a third-party browser with Flash support, and that someone will seize this opportunity and create a product to *reliably* solve this issue.

�   Telstra + Classic, Optus + PP, AT&T + PP , Verizon + Classic... why the mix, Mr. Fix?   �
    Alain_A likes this.
    01-28-15 06:24 PM

1) Java
    2) Adobe Flash
    3) Microsoft Office
    RealPlayer has to be on that list too.

Q10SQN100-2/10.3.1.1154
    01-28-15 07:04 PM

1) Java
    2) Adobe Flash
    3) Microsoft Office
    #3 Microsoft Office...I love office!

Just today, with the click of 3 buttons, I compiled 30,000 records, looping through the folders and sub-folders of 6 different engineer's R&D folders, sorted them, looked for duplicates, conditionally highlighted those duplicates, looked for them in our published drawings folder and generated a hyperlink to open the files and compare them. All it took was Excel, a little VBA work and an ActiveX buttons.

I am not sure about other office programs, but Microsoft Office saves me hours every week. I need it.
    01-28-15 07:05 PM
    Running Flash can hardly be defined as a "basic function" on a mobile device when NONE of the mobile platforms support it.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2072
    It is a basic function. The only reason mobile devices stopped supporting it is because mobile flash itself has no more support. Basically they would offer a feature on a phone/ tablet that can have security / bugs in the future but no updates to fix. All devices could handle it without issues if they all wanted to.

Posted via CB10
    01-29-15 07:13 AM
    I was recently referred to a few videos on Facebook. Some were sent to me by FB private message, some I was referred to the FB page in question. I think I watched 1 of those videos, because I couldn't get them to play on my Passport. What was the primary reason? That I no longer have Flash support in the browser. What a crazy frustrating experience. The one that worked I was able to search for the FB page in the app and got it to play in the app. I had no luck with the others, no matter what I tried it would open the browser and try to play through there, where I was greeted with a please update your Flash message.

Oh, yes, thank goodness... I thought I had one of the few phones on the market that would assure me this would never happen. Thank goodness I was wrong, or I would never know the frustration of finding out that I can't make one of the most basic things work.
    One of the reasons I'm not looking forward to 10.3.1, and may not download it right away. Many videos I want to watch use Flash. I just switch it on when I need it.

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>?
    01-29-15 07:50 AM
    It is a basic function. The only reason mobile devices stopped supporting it is because mobile flash itself has no more support. Basically they would offer a feature on a phone/ tablet that can have security / bugs in the future but no updates to fix. All devices could handle it without issues if they all wanted to.

Posted via CB10
    You have it backwards. Adobe stopped developing mobile flash because the mobile industry pushed THEM out. In 2012, as video streaming apps became the norm (hulu, Netflix, youtube, etc), and html5 pushed through the 75% web video content threshold, Adobe realised that the mobile browser market was finished, and that it would not be a good business decision to keep developing it.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.1.2072
    01-29-15 07:50 AM
35 12