Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the recent posting of kids(under the age of 20 in my eyes), It's like no one went to school and learned the English language, everyone speaks and types in text speak nowadays. u = you, n = and, 2 = to, too or two?, and so on, and so forth. I personally find it very annoying, The worst part is when they come to these forums and type like that. If you try and point out that it makes them look like children that don't know the English language, they get all defensive and say things like "this is how I talk", "its faster to type this way", "get over it old man". Text speak belongs in a text message not on a forum or in the real world where it just makes you look like an imbecile.

I tend to skip over posts that are written like this as I find it very hard to read and actually have to think about what I'm reading seeing as you have to decipher what was supposed to be written correctly.

So is it just me or does anyone else find this trend to very annoying and an insult to the English language?
    05-17-11 07:57 AM
    Dude.
    I'm 17 and I think the most annoying thing is wen ppl tlk lyke ths.
    I mean really. Most people have unlimited text and if you don't just use a freaking computer.

The most annoying is stuff like "lyke" and "ur"
    LIKE AND LYKE HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF LETTERS.

But its called 1337 Spe4k. (Elite Speak). It annoys me to death.
    Ur is only 2 letters less. your will not take much longer than ur.
    05-17-11 08:01 AM
    I'm 43 and reading the posts although irritating, are easily read. I just read them and then ignore them.
    05-17-11 08:01 AM
    I understand you're point, but I'd say kids younger then that. Or just not all under the age of 20. I'm currently 19 and it really irritates me when I see people typing like that. To me, it doesn't make any sense. All the letters are there, USE THEM! It's not like their in that big of a rush, if they are, they shouldn't even be on the computer and it doesn't even save much time. Personally, it takes me longer to type like that then to type every letter of every word.

No it is not just you. I feel like being the grammar police when I read those posts. I always want to quote them, and correct it. Even while texting, I never talked like that. Even with the 140 character limit (Or whatever it is), I would just send more then 1 message.
    05-17-11 08:02 AM
    I'm 31

Since we're in the subject of grammar, how about using "lose" and "loose" correctly. ( and this goes to most guys/gals in the forum).

going back to the topic, i believe this is a two prong approach solution. Parents should take notice as well as the teachers. What happened to essays and book reports?
    05-17-11 08:08 AM
    I'm 31

Since we're in the subject of grammar, how about using "lose" and "loose" correctly. ( and this goes to most guys/gals in the forum).

going back to the topic, i believe this is a two prong approach solution. Parents should take notice as well as the teachers. What happened to essays and book reports?
    NO.
    not enough justification for more essays.

Apparently LOL, ROFL and <3 are in the dictionary now.
    Yes.
    <3 is in the dictionary.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    05-17-11 08:12 AM
    That is sad.

We've recently 'adopted' a teenager and are adapting to the constant texting. I've alreay had to call her out several times to not bring her phone to the dinner table, no one else does so she shouldn't either out of respect for us going through the effort to pull together a family dinner every night.

Heck, I tried getting her to watch a movie (Spaceballs, she's never seen it and to me it's just irresponsible to send a kid out to the world whose never seen Spaceballs) with us, and half the time all I hear is the clicking of her texting. I'm about to talk to her about that also as it's rude to other people in the room.
    05-17-11 08:21 AM
    That is sad.

We've recently 'adopted' a teenager and are adapting to the constant texting. I've alreay had to call her out several times to not bring her phone to the dinner table, no one else does so she shouldn't either out of respect for us going through the effort to pull together a family dinner every night.

Heck, I tried getting her to watch a movie (Spaceballs, she's never seen it and to me it's just irresponsible to send a kid out to the world whose never seen Spaceballs) with us, and half the time all I hear is the clicking of her texting. I'm about to talk to her about that also as it's rude to other people in the room.
    Although the OP isn't about that, i agree with it being annoying.
    Girls with texting phones.
    annoying as a parent function.

Which translates to mother f-----
    which translates into a dad.
    05-17-11 08:24 AM
    Dude.
    I'm 17 and I think the most annoying thing is wen ppl tlk lyke ths.
    I mean really. Most people have unlimited text and if you don't just use a freaking computer.

The most annoying is stuff like "lyke" and "ur"
    LIKE AND LYKE HAVE THE SAME AMOUNT OF LETTERS.

But its called 1337 Spe4k. (Elite Speak). It annoys me to death.
    Ur is only 2 letters less. your will not take much longer than ur.
    agree, i can't stand the l33t 5p34k. i feel the harder u concentrate on it, the more difficult it is to read haha.

agree with the like/lyke, kewl/cool, etc.

however, i disagree with ur assumption that most people have unlimited texting. sure texting is cheap in the US, but that doesn't mean it's cheap in other countries. also, text messages are a bigger ripoff than movie popcorn, so it's justified that someone doesn't want to pay extra for tons of text messages.

i currently work in china where my monthly plan allots me 240 SMS per month. although going over doesn't cost a fortune, freely sending SMS like i did in the US (1500 SMS per month) will obviously have a significant impact on the monthly bill. using u instead of you, 2 instead of two/to/too, & instead of and makes a difference when one needs to conserve their messages.

in fact, most chinese citizens don't use SMS because of this reason. moreover, luxury tax on goods in china is ridiculous, so not everyone can afford to buy a computer either. if u don't believe me, check out the prices at the China Apple Store.
    Last edited by mad_eyes; 05-17-11 at 08:41 AM.
    05-17-11 08:37 AM
    I'm 21 and I do not nor have I ever typed lyk3 dis.
    I do not respond to people who do and I skip their posts and their texts, even if they are my friends.
    It has nothing to do with lack of essays in school because trust me I did a lot of those in high school, and do a lot of business reports now and people in my classes still type in their text slang, when I say people I mean people. The majority who do this are not kids they're the adults who type like that. Most of the young people I know find it annoying to type with the stupid slang.
    05-17-11 08:38 AM
    Yes it bothers me also but I can see a place for it, just not in a forum etc.
    05-17-11 08:44 AM
    Although the OP isn't about that, i agree with it being annoying.
    Girls with texting phones.
    annoying as a parent function.

Which translates to mother f-----
    which translates into a dad.
    I know it's not directly related, but the only texting I see is from my wife.

I usually jut glance at that and then call her. I'm not fan of texting in general. By the way, she hates that.
    05-17-11 08:50 AM
    I have talked with a teacher, and she said they are having problems with the texting showing up in essays, term papers, etc.

One of the most annoying things to me is when I see 2 teens texting each other in public. They are standing right next to each other in an enviroment where they do not need to be quiet. Did they forget how to talk?
    05-17-11 09:07 AM
    One of the most annoying things to me is when I see 2 teens texting each other in public. They are standing right next to each other in an enviroment where they do not need to be quiet. Did they forget how to talk?
    You see that so often now it's annoying.
    My biggest gripe is if someone is visiting with me or if they are talking to me no matter where it is and they're in the middle of telling me a story and then they get a text and they say 'hang on' I've come to the point where it's no I on't hang on if you're texting is more important than go do it elsewhere, I can't stand being interrupted when I'm having a conversation with someone.
    05-17-11 09:11 AM
    When I meet someone who texts like that, I don't talk to them for long.
    05-17-11 09:39 AM
    I could not agree more... The issue with the newer, younger, generations is that everyone is computer savvy, and 7 year olds are walking around with an iphone4... All the class work from grades 3 and up is done on the computer. Everyone is so used to spell check, and not writing things free hand, that when it come times to actually write something without computer guided assistance, they simply can't do it...

I remember being in elementary school, we didn't have a computer in the classroom until grade 3, but we had one really old mac with a 5 1/4 floppy drive. All work was to be written by hand. In grade 5, I typed up an assignment vs. free hand writing it. My teacher would not accept it and made me write it out...

While I am familiar with the txt lingo, and might use it to txt, or maybe on MSN Messenger (<- my generation, lol) etc... I am fortunate enough to also be quite familiar with the actual English language, and know which one to use, and when...

I am not saying that I am better than anyone, I blame the uneducated youth on a terrible education system, that keeps lowering the bar, to accommodate below average students...
    05-17-11 10:10 AM
    agree, i can't stand the l33t 5p34k. i feel the harder u concentrate on it, the more difficult it is to read haha.

agree with the like/lyke, kewl/cool, etc.

however, i disagree with ur assumption that most people have unlimited texting. sure texting is cheap in the US, but that doesn't mean it's cheap in other countries. also, text messages are a bigger ripoff than movie popcorn, so it's justified that someone doesn't want to pay extra for tons of text messages.

i currently work in china where my monthly plan allots me 240 SMS per month. although going over doesn't cost a fortune, freely sending SMS like i did in the US (1500 SMS per month) will obviously have a significant impact on the monthly bill. using u instead of you, 2 instead of two/to/too, & instead of and makes a difference when one needs to conserve their messages.

in fact, most chinese citizens don't use SMS because of this reason. moreover, luxury tax on goods in china is ridiculous, so not everyone can afford to buy a computer either. if u don't believe me, check out the prices at the China Apple Store.

Okay, that's completely understandable if you don't have an unlimited texting plan. But what is the point of doing it while you are on the forums? It doesn't cost to put the 2 extra letters to make 'your'.

I know most people on this forum are capable of proper grammar, let's see it happen!
    05-17-11 10:12 AM
    Ok so after reading this forum... I am guilty of doing the u (you) in the forums.. I will definitely be more cautious of the shorten words and make it a habit of using all the letters. The text slang takes over and you forget where you are have of the time! So yes I will cross all my t's and dot all my I's when writing a text , or just replying to a forum or even typing on the computer! Make it a habit and you won't have the problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-11 10:30 AM
    It is sad. I have heard that some schools allow it. Or if the kids spelling is close it is ok. What? Man if my kids teachers pull that crap someone is going to get a stern talking to.

With texting I find that adults do it also. It seems most people do it except my wife. (thank you) I have had a smartphone for over 5 years and I think even before that I never sent a text with short words. It was always all typed out. I might misspell something from time to time but "ur" and the like never gets used.
    05-17-11 10:37 AM
    Kind of related to this but what have ya'll (see what I did there?) done about employees constant texting?
    05-17-11 10:44 AM
    I have talked with a teacher, and she said they are having problems with the texting showing up in essays, term papers, etc.

Have you ever heard of a married couple tweeting back and forth while they are in the same car?

Nothing like having the library of congress and the rest of world read that boring drivel.

On another related note. Lose and Loose is no where near as bad as:

There, Their & They're- 1 is a contraction so it isn't even hard to figure these 3 out.
    To, Two & Too
    Your & You're- 1 is a contraction so it is not that hard is it?
    Last edited by flyersfan76; 05-17-11 at 10:52 AM.
    05-17-11 10:49 AM
    Kind of related to this but what have ya'll (see what I did there?) done about employees constant texting?
    We banned the use of personal devices at their work stations. Employees were instructed to leave cell phones/bb/iphond/pod etc.. In their lockers. They could use them on breaks / lunch, but not during work / at their work area.. Employees who were found breaking the rule would receive documentation (verbal warning, written warning, etc...)

Good management always helps.. In doing my rounds I found an employee who had left their iphone playing music in a storage room... I took it, and brought it to security, and turned it in as "lost and found". I left a note with it that said "next time, I'll keep it" on it...

This one employee looked everywhere, and asked all the other employees if anyone had seen it... He didn't ask me, as he knows he wasn't supposed to have it with him. 5 minutes before the end of his shift, as I could see how stressed about it, I suggested "maybe you should check with security for lost & found?"

He did, and he got my note. Haven't had an issue with this one again

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-17-11 10:51 AM
    Is it just me or has anyone else noticed the recent posting of kids(under the age of 20 in my eyes), It's like no one went to school and learned the English language, everyone speaks and types in text speak nowadays. u = you, n = and, 2 = to, too or two?, and so on, and so forth. I personally find it very annoying, The worst part is when they come to these forums and type like that. If you try and point out that it makes them look like children that don't know the English language, they get all defensive and say things like "this is how I talk", "its faster to type this way", "get over it old man". Text speak belongs in a text message not on a forum or in the real world where it just makes you look like an imbecile.

I tend to skip over posts that are written like this as I find it very hard to read and actually have to think about what I'm reading seeing as you have to decipher what was supposed to be written correctly.

So is it just me or does anyone else find this trend to very annoying and an insult to the English language?
    I made a similar rant a couple years ago http://forums.crackberry.com/f36/general-rant-225098/. It got relegated to the "off-topic" forum and I found it fascinating how many people actually defended the mangled-communication-methods. C'est la vie...

For those that genuinely get confused by some stuff, check out this link, it's quite helpful: GCSE English: Confusions

05-17-11 10:53 AM
    Okay, that's completely understandable if you don't have an unlimited texting plan. But what is the point of doing it while you are on the forums? It doesn't cost to put the 2 extra letters to make 'your'.

I know most people on this forum are capable of proper grammar, let's see it happen!
    I am glad someone said it.
    05-17-11 10:54 AM
    Whenever I see a forum post with txtspk in it I'll either ignore it or (if I'm feeling particularly snarky) start the reply with "If you write your posts in English you might get better answers"
    05-17-11 10:54 AM
116 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD