I keep hearing conflicting answers regarding the yahoo messenger. Does it depend on who your service provider is?
    09-24-09 11:59 AM
    And your question is? Does it run using Text or Data?? I'm guessing data, but I don't know what the question is...
    09-24-09 12:00 PM
    Sorry, I've got little ones sitting on my lap.

Yes, I'm trying to figure out of Yahoo messenger uses your text messages or data.
    09-24-09 12:10 PM
    I believe that all of the RIM written IM applications use data.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-24-09 12:14 PM
    I'm on T-Mobile and a few years ago it was text BUT now it's data so with the unlimited data plan it's free!
    09-24-09 12:23 PM
    The way I understand it SMS is a short bit of text data that is piggy backed on voice data. Works if only connected by 1x.
    All IM services and apps connect to a server. Which is a data connection.

09-24-09 01:22 PM
    I use Yahoo IM regularly, it uses data.

I am absolutely sure of that because I have SMS disabled through the BlackBerry Firewall.

Good thing too, my carrier would rob me blind for the amount of international SMS that would use.
    09-24-09 02:00 PM
    Reed, not to disagree but IM's are treated as sms by ATT (excluding BBM). I answered this same question for the same OP a few days ago. Can't post the link cause I'm on wap, but the thread title was "No data plan, will this still work?". I broke it down in detail per ATT's knowledge base.

I also included the link to the ATT webpage that broke it down. OP, did you take the time to read that link?

09-24-09 03:03 PM
    Reed, not to disagree but IM's are treated as sms by ATT (excluding BBM). I answered this same question for the same OP a few days ago. Can't post the link cause I'm on wap, but the thread title was "No data plan, will this still work?". I broke it down in detail per ATT's knowledge base.

I also included the link to the ATT webpage that broke it down. OP, did you take the time to read that link?

Yes, I did read your post and even bookmarked the link. I found and re-read what you posted. For some reason in my mind I thought I was asking two different questions and forgot that it was already answered in another post. Sorry.
    09-24-09 03:23 PM
    Thanks for the feedback Luv'. I have not seen that post or link yet, but I will review your posting history to find it.

The cost for using Instant Messaging via the wireless phone depends on the function. Please refer to the following chart to determine how Instant Messenger is billed when using Mobile IM or AT&T IM.

Billed as SMS *

Sending message
    Receiving message
    Alerts

You are charged $0.20 for each message you send and receive unless you are on a Text/Instant Messaging package.
    In short, Yahoo IM uses SMS on AT&T. That would certainly explain the confusion, my carrier, Rogers, uses data.
    09-24-09 03:43 PM
    Reed, that's correct. Not just Yahoo but also AIM, MSN, and another one. Maybe more. For any of these standalone IM apps, the only data charges are when you download the app(s), upgrade it, or update your contacts, I think. If you notice ATT's messaging plans say, for example, "unlimited sms, mms, and IM's".

Not sure about beejive, which I use, but I have unltd data so no matter.

09-24-09 03:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD