I apologize if anyone has asked this already, but I am considering jumping at the Storm on Verizon. I know I'll get 10 replies on how it sucks but it's cool and I don't care.

My questions is, for $149.99 you get unlimited minutes, data, and messaging. But they want to charge and extra $15 per month to tether. I asked the rep if there was any limit to my data usage and they said no.

So why should I pay extra for it?
    Are they able to tell whether I am tethering or not?

I don't use it that often, maybe once a month when I am on the road during the day and something either can't be done on my blackberry or can't wait until I get to a hotel or wi-fi.

Any thoughts?
    02-18-09 04:03 PM
    The way I am going to answer your question is depended on whether you have BIS or BES. If you have BIS which is 29.99 for data then it would be an additional 30.00 bucks. If you have BES that is 44.99 monthly and then it would be an additional 15 bucks. Bottom line it has to equal to 59.99 which is the monthly charge for an air card. As for whether VERIZON would know, yes they would and then it would incur a large charge for your bill. BTW the monthly allowance is 5 GB for 59.99 and there is a 50 MB for 39.99 for an air card which could be another option. Hopefully this answers your question.
    02-18-09 07:44 PM
    When I spoke with the Verizon rep at the store today, who obviously didn't know anything abut bb except how cool watching movies on the storm is, he told me that for $149.99 I get unlimited everything and for an extra $15 a month I can tether. I am on BES so I know that can make a difference but I don't want a ridiculous cell bill every month. I need a lot of minutes because I travel frequently but I don't want a $200 a month bill. I have a wife and kid to feed and I think that's the one thing a bb can't do for me. Although I'm sure that will be in the new app store soon enough

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-09 08:43 PM
    If I may ask, what is it that cost so much (149.99). Can you give me a breakdown? And is it necessary for you to have BES? I would also suggest going to the verizonwireless.com and make up a new order. First select the phone and plan and everything else under the sun that you feel you need.
    02-18-09 08:55 PM
    $149.99 is for unlimited minutes, unlimited data, and unlimited texting. The BES is absolutely necessary for me as being on a corporate exchange server it is the best way for me to keep my work email, calendar, contacts and tasks all update in real-time. I've been using it that way for over a year and really like it. As mentioned I do use tethering from time to time so it's not that I need it, but I'm sure I will be in great need at one point and I'll regret it if I don't have it. On the other, wi-fi hotspots are pretty easy to find, so I could always find one and use that. To me, $149.99 just seems like a lot to pay
    02-18-09 09:35 PM
    I pay 144.00 before taxes for 2 BB phones on BIS. I did an order via verzionwireless for you and I came up with 168.00 before taxes based on unlimited voice for 99.00, 20 bucks for 5000 text messages, 44.99 for BES data package. So it appears what you were told is not correct and even more. I don't know if they gave you any company discounts.
    Last edited by jrod3055; 02-18-09 at 10:14 PM.
    02-18-09 10:11 PM
    I want a Storm.

**** I just want a new phone.
    02-18-09 10:26 PM
    Thanks for the help everyone. I will have to go into the store again and get something in writing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-18-09 10:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD