Hey everyone

I am new to using a MAC so any help is great.

I am trying to connect my rogers blackberry bold via usb cable to a macbook to surf the net. I can not seem to figure out how to do it.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks
    02-09-10 09:58 AM
    It takes software to make the connection.

One popular application is Tether (previously TetherBerry). It installs a client on both the BlackBerry and your computer to provide the internet connection.

The latest version of Windows BlackBerry Desktop Manager also includes a tether feature. It does not need a seperate BlackBerry client.

BlackBerry Desktop Manger is available in a Mac version, I don't know if it also supports tethering.

The next factor to consider is your Rogers data plan. If you have, at least, the 500 Mb plan, it is practical to consider tethering. Do not even think of tethering one of the message only plans. If it works, you will be paying $10 Mb for data.
    02-09-10 10:02 AM
    thanks for your reply.
    I just downloaded the new Mac version of desktop manger. I can not seem to figure out how to set it up though. I also have 6 gigs of data with rogers which i hope is enough.

02-09-10 02:37 PM
    6gigs should be enought for browsing web and checking email. not sure about downloading files =]
    02-09-10 02:42 PM
    It doesn't take software. I do it via bluetooth. Google around, there ARE instructions (sorry I'm at school right now)
    02-09-10 03:03 PM
    It should be noted that the usage of Bluetooth effectively limits the potential connection speed of tethering.
    Last edited by shinkodachi; 02-09-10 at 03:25 PM.
    02-09-10 03:20 PM
    it should also be noted that tether (the app) doesnt work on mac via USB if u have desktop manager installed. (i think we have all waitied long enough for a rim desktop manager solution and shouldnt be forced to uninstall it)

it does work over bluetooth tho, so does the none app version. i do not suggest you pay 50$ for a app that does what you can do without. for me the point of buying the app was to use it via USB. (they say they are working with RIM to fix the problem, god knows when that will be ready)
    02-09-10 04:38 PM
    6gigs should be enought for browsing web and checking email. not sure about downloading files =]
    Its not as bad as you think. I use it as the sole internet connection in my house. Play XBox live. Surf. And even stream tv through it. As long as you keep your eye on your usage you'll be ok. What I'm saying is, with the speeds possible you aren't really limited too badly

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-10 12:00 AM
    do you have to pay an extra fee outside your data phone charge a month for tethering?
    02-10-10 04:04 AM
    do you have to pay an extra fee outside your data phone charge a month for tethering?
    I just pay for ATTs tethering plan. I think its $30 / month

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-10 08:38 AM
    you can tether via BT on a mac without any additional software... just create a BT network profile....

if you're using T-Mo, put epc.tmobile.com in the number box... username: gprs, password: gprs, APN: epc.tmobile.com

to tether via USB, all you need to do is install DM for Mac, but set is so that it doesn't come on automatically when plugging in your BB... what installing DM does is create a network profile to allow the BB to connect via USB - it's called something like Blackberry Composite DUN or something like that... (i'm not in front of my mac right now, on my work PC)... in the network settings of that profile, use same username and password as above (if on T-Mo), for the number, instead of using epc.tmobile.com, put in *99# for the number.... use same APN though of epc.tmobile.com....

should be all set... just hit connect for the respective BT or USB connection...

easiest thing... the key to tether via USB though is you need to install DM... but don't run it... and also don't enable disc mode when tethering via USB... made it act wonky...
    02-10-10 08:44 AM
    I tether my blackberry using Bluetooth on my Mac. There is a bunch of tutorials doing this if you just google it.

Here is an example I dont know how good this tutorial is but I found it in under 30 seconds.

http://forums.pinstack.com/f199/blac...etooth-103192/
    02-10-10 10:08 AM
    thank you everyone for your help.
    After reading the web this worked via USB cable for me. (i took this off another forum but changed it for rogers)

"
    So here is exactly what I did to tether (on my first try):
    01.) Apple >> System Preferences... >> Internet & Wireless >> Network
    02.) Then I clicked on "RIM Connected Device"
    03.)
    Tel Number: *99***1#
    Account name: wapuser1
    Password: wap
    04.) Now click the "Advanced.." button.
    05.)
    Vendor: Research In Motion
    Model: BlackBerry IP Modem (GSM)