I think the Bold is one of the supported ATT wifi hotspots? Any try this in combination with tethering? How did it go?
    05-04-09 09:31 AM
    05-04-09 09:31 PM
    just to let u know if u don't have a tethering plan ON TOP OF unlimited data it will charge u out the hiney
    05-04-09 11:51 PM
    Unless you don't download more than 5GB in a month... that seems to be the number that tips them off. I've not done it for a long time, but I used to tether my MacBook to my Pearl all the time before I even knew of the term "tethering," or that there was an additional charge for people silly enough to pay for it. I found a site somewhere that had an article called "How to use your BlackBerry as a bluetooth modem" and had no idea it was something I wasn't supposed to do. All it involved was changing a couple settings on the phone and a couple on the computer and boom! Internet anywhere I had EDGE coverage. They never charged me a cent (you know, beyond the @$$-load they were already charging me for "unlimited" data use).

But the whole idea of charging for tethering on an unlimited plan seems so dishonest to me in the first place. If you are paying for UNLIMITED data, why do they get to tell you 5GB is too much? That's a 5GB per month plan, not an unlimited plan. And if you use less than that, WHO CARES if your computer is involved? Bytes are bytes, regardless of which device they wind up on. Are you allowed to use the data or not? Calling ANY of their data plans unlimited is false advertising if you ask me.
    Last edited by digitalb0y; 05-05-09 at 05:34 AM.
    05-05-09 05:29 AM
    I think the Bold is one of the supported ATT wifi hotspots? Any try this in combination with tethering? How did it go?
    I don't get it. If you are in a wifi hotspot with your laptop and your Bold, why not just connect directly to wifi with the laptop instead of tethering? (Assuming you have a wireless card in your laptop, of course, but virtually all of them do nowadays.)

Anyway, I found this thread to be the most helpful one for tethering with AT&T: http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bla...ervice-139863/

I tethered quite a bit last month -- though I didn't go over 5GB in doing so -- and I note on my new bill that I wasn't charged a penny for it. It just shows up as a regular data transfer, large but indistinguishable from ones where, e.g., I watched a few You Tube vids.
    05-05-09 06:57 AM
    Unless you don't download more than 5GB in a month... that seems to be the number that tips them off. I've not done it for a long time, but I used to tether my MacBook to my Pearl all the time before I even knew of the term "tethering," or that there was an additional charge for people silly enough to pay for it. I found a site somewhere that had an article called "How to use your BlackBerry as a bluetooth modem" and had no idea it was something I wasn't supposed to do. All it involved was changing a couple settings on the phone and a couple on the computer and boom! Internet anywhere I had EDGE coverage. They never charged me a cent (you know, beyond the @$$-load they were already charging me for "unlimited" data use).

But the whole idea of charging for tethering on an unlimited plan seems so dishonest to me in the first place. If you are paying for UNLIMITED data, why do they get to tell you 5GB is too much? That's a 5GB per month plan, not an unlimited plan. And if you use less than that, WHO CARES if your computer is involved? Bytes are bytes, regardless of which device they wind up on. Are you allowed to use the data or not? Calling ANY of their data plans unlimited is false advertising if you ask me.

Im not saying your wrong, but i used 16mb and i got charged $92 for it. i looked and looked at the bill and couldn't figure any other possible place that chatge could have come from.
    05-05-09 10:05 AM
    I don't get it. If you are in a wifi hotspot with your laptop and your Bold, why not just connect directly to wifi with the laptop instead of tethering? (Assuming you have a wireless card in your laptop, of course, but virtually all of them do nowadays.)

Anyway, I found this thread to be the most helpful one for tethering with AT&T: http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bla...ervice-139863/

I tethered quite a bit last month -- though I didn't go over 5GB in doing so -- and I note on my new bill that I wasn't charged a penny for it. It just shows up as a regular data transfer, large but indistinguishable from ones where, e.g., I watched a few You Tube vids.
    So to clarify. One would have to pay for laptop access to wifi at a ATT wifi hotspot. However, certain phones can get free ATT wifi JUST for the phone. However, if one can tether - no need to pay the fee for laptop access.
    05-05-09 01:52 PM

Agree 100%. Bunch of Scrooges!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-14-09 09:51 AM
    So to clarify. One would have to pay for laptop access to wifi at a ATT wifi hotspot. However, certain phones can get free ATT wifi JUST for the phone. However, if one can tether - no need to pay the fee for laptop access.
    i was just wondering this myself as i was in the starbucks at barnes and noble and my Bold connected right away to the wifi without having to login or anything, but when i tried to access the same wifi on my laptop they wanted to charge me or to set up an account.

I can tether my Bold to my Mac via bluetooth and get only via the Blackberry Data Plan, but is there a way to connect the laptop to the Bold and have it go through the wifi connection?

I tried connecting via bluetooth and shutting off the data connection and leaving wifi on, but when my laptop went to dial out it obviously couldnt connect, hopefully there is a way to set it up so that it routes it through the wifi connection.....
    06-05-09 08:18 PM
    :Bump: I haven't seen this solved yet? and I'm still interested.

The brief version is:

Is there a way to tether your laptop to your old using the Bold's WIFI connection instead of its' Cell connection?

Reason being; AT&T Blackberries are allowed free wifi access at AT&T Hotspots where you have to pay for the privilege on your laptop. For those of us lucky enough to own a bold and a laptop with Bluetooth it would be nice to be able to take advantage of the WIFI access without paying more money.

thoughts?
    11-27-09 04:25 PM
    Correction... I found this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/ins...ctions-131589/

I haven't tested it yet because I don't have a USB cable with me, and I don't think I'm going to be able to persuade it to work via bluetooth...

I'm downloading the software now... I'll update in a bit...
    11-27-09 04:39 PM
    useful info!!!
    11-27-09 05:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD