Hello,

I'm looking for tethering options for BB10 on T-Mobile, I'm always on the go and need quick internet access on my laptop but can't pay way extra for a tiered data plan with mobile hotspot plan. I currently have unlimited data with this carrier and use 'tether' app. Is there any applications or work arounds that does what 'tether' app does for BB10; if there is something similar I will buy a z10 right away! I'm using 9900
    Last edited by bzeal11; 08-26-13 at 09:39 PM.
    08-26-13 04:50 PM
    Isn't wifi hotspot free on TMO? Or only certain plans?
    08-26-13 04:57 PM
    That is what I was wondering. I know that the feature worked on my Nexus 4 while I was using T-Mobile. Android has built in mobile hotspot. It is just a settings option just like you see with BB10, except with Android there is no carrier intervention. You turn it on and it works no matter if you pay for the feature or not.

That is one of the big differences between a Android smart phone and Android-based smart phones. With the android-based phones, the carriers remove that built in mobile hotspot feature and replace it with their own app that will not work unless you pay for the service. As far as I know, the carriers don't know if youre using the built in hotspot feature or not. If they do know, AT&T never said a word about it.

I've only used BlackBerry 10 on Verizon and can confirm that I couldn't use mobile hotspot on that phone unless I paid for the service. Shame to see the same holds true for T-Mobile. BlackBerry gave the carriers way too much control over these devices.
    08-26-13 05:08 PM
    I think it's very hit and miss on TMO. They allow hotspot when you shouldn't be able to, and don't quite enforce the hotspot limits either (from what I read in the TMO sub-forum.)

I had a 200MB plan up to 2 months ago, and when I tried to hotspot off my 9810, I was redirected to a "add hotspot for $15" landing page. I recently changed my data plan in a significant way, and while I'm still not supposed to be able to use hotspot, I can. Now I have my SIM in another carrier's GS3, so I don't know if that's the reason or not.
    08-26-13 05:14 PM
    hotspot is "free" on the basic 1st tier data plans for your phone; i think 200mb, you technically can use hotspot on your unlimited plan but its just an empty signal, your browser once you are connected to your phone sends you to the carrier website requiring you sign up for a tier plan with hotspot
    08-26-13 09:37 PM