If I wanted to switch providers, but keep the same number, is there a certain amount of time I have to "test" the new provider's service within which I can switch back to my old provider without being penalized in any way?

I know that my question has been answered before, but I couldn't find it so hopefully someone can point me to the right thread (or just answer w/ a succinct "yes" or "no" ).

Thanks in advance!
    09-11-09 10:19 AM
    I suspect switching is rather difficult if you get a contract, unless you don't mind early termination fees.
    09-11-09 10:30 AM
    I think it depends on the provider you are wanting to test out. I believe that Verizon offers you a 30 day trial period where you can try out their network and if you don't like it you can back out without a penalty. I know that U.S. Cellular offers this too, but I'm not sure about the other carriers.

Now, I'm not sure how it works with concern to your current carrier. I'm guessing that if you transfer your number, it will close your old account with your current provider, and if you aren't at the end of your contract term you may incur some kind of early termination charges, so it might be of your best interest to sign up for a new line of service with the provider you wish to test, and keep your other account open with your current provider, and to see if you can port the number over if you infact want to switch providers after the fact. I'd check with the new provider and see what they say...
    09-11-09 10:31 AM
    Okay, so it looks like it depends on the provider (which would be Sprint in this case). I guess I'll just tell my friend to contact them.
    Thanks for the help.
    09-11-09 10:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD