So, I ride my bike to work everyday, with my curve in a holster on my hip. To make a long story short, I get hit by this woman (who was not paying attention) and I get thrown off the bike and land on my hip. Needless to say, the side of my hip that I fell on, was the 'Berry side.

Now, I'm 305lbs...and apart from the scratched lens where it wasn't protected, was in pristine, working condition!

...just my two cents, a testimony to RIM's construction of their devices! (but I'm still a bit miffed, as I just changed the housing 2 weeks ago!)
    Last edited by SouthFLCurve; 09-20-08 at 10:13 AM. Reason: spelling error
    09-20-08 10:12 AM
    OMG, more importantly....hope you are ok!
    09-20-08 10:17 AM
    That reminds me a of a video I saw where a heavy lifter breaks many things into halves and then they hand him a Curve. He just cannot break it and he even comments on how surprised he is at the durability of that thing. No, it wasnt RIM sponsored, in fact it was something to do with how BlackBerrys are making people unhappy because they have to work after hours.
    09-20-08 10:19 AM
    Thankfully, you came through that experience with minor damage and presumably, injury.

They are tough. July 4, I was sharing the evening with American friends when the iTouch providing the tunes died. It was dark, I used my Curve video LED as a flashlight to help change over the electric cords.

When we were done, I missed the usual return to holster swipe and the Curve fell to the cement floor below. On impact, it exploded. Pieces flying a suitable finale to the fireworks celebration.

Scooped up the body, battery and cover, snapped it back together, gave iTouch buddy a wink and said "They are tough...."

The look on his face was priceless. Almost worth the new scratches on the leading edge.
    09-20-08 10:24 AM
    Amen! The curve reminds me of my 8703 NOW that baby was a tough SOB!
    09-20-08 10:44 AM
    my curve fell down 2 stories into rocks and only got a tiny scratch...built to last
    09-20-08 01:31 PM
    the first time my curve dropped i was super mad that i just did that and now i am going to have to purchase a new unit. after putting everything back together, i held my breath and turned it on...wait for it...wait for it...wait for it...SON OF A BEACH the little guy turned back on and to this day i have no problems what so ever. i love you little curve...whose my buddy...whose my buddy...that's right you are!
    09-20-08 01:45 PM
    Yes they ARE surprisingly well built aren't they?!
    09-20-08 02:07 PM
    I know... mine was thrown pretty hard, no visible damage to it. Alongside nearly getting scratched twice on metal, no damage.
    09-20-08 02:38 PM
    Yeah my pearl has been dropped tons of times and always comes out ok!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-20-08 07:02 PM
    I'm still trying to get over someone who's 300 lbs+ getting hit by a car and not having any massive injuries.. after that, I'm still trying to get over that someone can be 300 lbs+ even while riding a bike to work every day.. then I'm trying to get over how someone who's 300 lbs+ flying through the air and landing on a Curve and it still works.. that's one tough son of a *****.. both of them
    09-21-08 01:05 AM
    My hat's off to RIM! Lol
    09-21-08 08:48 AM
    My hat's off to RIM! Lol
    Completely agree
    09-21-08 09:48 AM
    Despite my best efforts to be extremely careful I've droped my 8830 quite a few times and its operated flawlessly with barely a sratch. Obviously RIM has gone to great lengths to make sure all of their devices are durable. BIG UP TO RIM!

09-21-08 10:31 AM
    Lil over a month old and no drops yet..
    09-21-08 06:11 PM
    The woman who hit you, was she on the phone? I somehow pictured this.

09-22-08 05:04 AM
    Wow...your Curve was looking out for you !!

Just thinking about my Curve....brings a smile to my face :-)

Again I say that is one awesome piece of machinery.
    09-22-08 05:43 AM
    Most important is that SouthFl Curve is ok but that had to hurt. Glad to know these things are tough.

09-22-08 05:55 AM
    Most important is that SouthFl Curve is ok but that had to hurt. Glad to know these things are tough.

Yeah, I came out of it with, surprisingly, just a mild sprain in my neck.

My berry is my little electronic hero ^.^

09-25-08 10:52 AM
    I'm still trying to get over someone who's 300 lbs+ getting hit by a car and not having any massive injuries.. after that, I'm still trying to get over that someone can be 300 lbs+ even while riding a bike to work every day.. then I'm trying to get over how someone who's 300 lbs+ flying through the air and landing on a Curve and it still works.. that's one tough son of a *****.. both of them
    Heh, yeah I know how to take a hit. I got hit by a SUV while walking (I had the ROW in the crosswalk) when I lived in Seattle. No big deal.

It sucks being big and riding a bike back and forth every day, but it's helping me to slim down to enter the Navy in January.

09-25-08 10:56 AM
    So glad you are okay! Yay for the Curve and for Rim. I usually drop all my cell phones when I frst get them. My way of breaking them in I guess. The Curve just fits perfectly in my hand. So far, so good. (knock on wood)
    09-25-08 11:50 AM
    I have to also agree with you guys!!! I love my curve although I want the storm. I have dropped my phone many many times and sometimes from 10ft or higher! It comes out ok with a scratch or two but with the best skins ever skin and it is the best protection money can buy besides the otterbox. I have always been one to buy cases with clips, but I haven't. I have been ultimately suprised with the protection I get from the skin! Best regards to anyone with the bb curve

12-17-08 10:12 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD