I read this article regarding a Tesla being shut down by hackers.

Does anyone know if BlackBerry might be associated negatively on this?

Apologies in advance if this repeated.

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/technology/...ving-1.3181164

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 08:34 AM
    'hacked' must truly be the highlight word for 2015.

Hacked this, hacked that. Once upon a time it just meant cutting up something. "Go hack that wooden log into pieces so we can put it in the fire".

Man those were the simple days...
    08-06-15 09:08 AM
    Tesla doesn't use QNX if that's what you're asking, but Tesla updates their software far more frequently than other car makers, so this will be patched up fairly quickly.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    08-06-15 09:09 AM
    Tesla uses their own unix flavor i think. Nothing to do with BB or QNX.
    08-06-15 09:10 AM
    Thanks all for the info. To me this could potentially create an opportunity for the BlackBerry team to showcase their IOT... or would this have happened if BlackBerry were securing the Tesla's on board hardware.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 10:13 AM
    Thanks all for the info. To me this could potentially create an opportunity for the BlackBerry team to showcase their IOT... or would this have happened if BlackBerry were securing the Tesla's on board hardware.

Posted via CB10
    We don't really know... QNX being used doesn't automatically make a vehicle secure. Over the years a number of exploits have been found to work on QNX. It really comes down to the finial finished product, which often times has another layer over QNX that might in many cases be the access point of hackers.

I'm not sure if Tesla has ever announced what RTOS is being used to "run" the car... some have speculated it is AUTOSAR. But Linux is used to run the graphical user interface.

The real key to any system is being able to update it regularly. And Tesla can do that with their system.
    08-06-15 10:44 AM
    This is all BS it took the hack who were security researchers two years to find several weaknesses. The biggest hack needs physical access to the car. Yeah BlackBerry should have Tesla as a partner but who are we kidding Tesla is doing better than any car manufacturers updating and patching exploits.

Posted via CB10
    08-06-15 06:55 PM
    That Jeep that was hacked was running QNX/uConnect...

https://n4bb.com/qnx-powered-jeep-hacked-highway/
    08-07-15 08:25 AM
    I read this article regarding a Tesla being shut down by hackers.

Does anyone know if BlackBerry might be associated negatively on this?

Apologies in advance if this repeated.

Posted via CB10
    Your link doesn't work for me,Anyway Kevin just bought one and I hope he got it fixed,haha
    08-07-15 08:34 AM
    In all fairness you need physical access to the Tesla to "hack" it. Far different then the Jeep problem with being hacked over-the-air and no physical access.
    08-07-15 08:46 AM
    Tesla doesn't use QNX if that's what you're asking, but Tesla updates their software far more frequently than other car makers, so this will be patched up fairly quickly.
    I think this is the main takeaway from all this 'news'.

If you are going to start stacking more and more software components into cars, then you better have the capability and staff to continually push updates without requiring a trip to the dealer.

Of course, car manufacturers have been notoriously terrible on this front. The only time they reach to you is to charge you a small fortune to change your oil and replace your wipers. Do you really think they are eager to spend time and money improving software that will be pushed out as 'free' updates? Things have to change. If they can upsell their cars by trumpeting all those 'modern' software features, then they need to be ready to act like a modern software company.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-15 08:54 AM
    Of course, car manufacturers have been notoriously terrible on this front. The only time they reach to you is to charge you a small fortune to change your oil and replace your wipers. Do you really think they are eager to spend time and money improving software that will be pushed out as 'free' updates? Things have to change. If they can upsell their cars by trumpeting all those 'modern' software features, then they need to be ready to act like a modern software company.

Posted via CB10
    I think its an opportunity for BB to leverage their security expertise and QNX to offer solutions to the car manufactures to host and disperse verified updates thru their system, perhaps even real-time monitoring. As QNX gets more visibility to the general public due to IoT it doesn't serve Blackberry well to have hacks tied to QNX even indirectly.
    08-07-15 12:00 PM
    Ment, this is what I was thinking. When I watched the video where BlackBerry security hacked into the medical device to demo it's vulnerability I thought that this could be a launch point for auto security. IOT seems to be begging for someone to step up and secure these things.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-15 02:20 PM
    Tesla Car Hacked-1432443069631_094457.png

Via BlackBerry Passport
    08-09-15 12:27 AM
    Your link doesn't work for me,Anyway Kevin just bought one and I hope he got it fixed,haha
    Someone's gotta tell him if he shows up... :-)

�   BB10 -- Finger flickin' good... in any form factor!   �
    08-12-15 05:18 PM
    Try this link, it should work.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 01:57 PM
    Not sure why it's not working. I try it before posting, but when I try it after posting it gives me a white screen.

If you Google "Tesla car hack" you will see it under CBC.

Posted via CB10
    08-16-15 01:58 PM
    No QNX was cleared of the incident

Sent from my Z30 using Tapatalk
    08-26-15 12:44 AM