You'll have to excuse me, because I'm new to the whole idea of wifi being on cell phones, but it seems as if my Telus Storm2 is capping my maximum file size per download/upload/transfer when I'm connected via wifi just like it does when I'm connected to the Telus Network...

This doesn't really make much sense to me and I think it's irritating as I should be transferring data via my wireless router/eastlink cable service which obviously has a much higher upload/download cap for the internet and none at all for my LAN.

So, I suppose my question is: Is there a way to disable this cap while connected via wifi? Would unlocking the phone do anything?

I apologize if this was covered in a previous post, but I did a search and nothing came up.

Thanks!
    12-11-09 09:53 PM
    Not sure I've ever seen a cap in place - I have had a Storm and now a 9700 and neither had caps on the wireless network, or the WiFi network..?

The only limitation I can think of would be with your data plan, but again, even if you were to go over your data package, they'd just charge you extra (with a maximum 10GB hard cap) - however, they don't cap your WiFi usage, thats sort of the point of WiFi, is so you can use your own data / iNet connection.
    12-11-09 10:04 PM
    Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have an unlimited data plan.

But I'll give you an example, if I'm not connected to my wifi network (and on the telus network) and I try to download an email attachment that is over 2.9MB it won't let me do it because I guess it is "too large" and it "exceeds my maximum download size". However when I connect to my wifi network and try to do the same thing, I get the same error message, which doesn't make sense. It also doesn't matter if I'm trying to download this attachment from my default messages app or using the BB Browser, it still restricts me. Is there a setting in the options that I'm missing?
    12-11-09 10:23 PM
    This one's out of my league - I've never run into this issue. I'll do some reading.
    12-11-09 10:27 PM
    Okay - so it's not a data limit per se, but it's an attachment limit issue.

According to the link below, email messages received using a BlackBerry Internet Service account cannot exceed 8 MB (5 MB for the attachment and 3 MB for the email message), regardless of the size of the mailbox.

View Document
    12-11-09 10:33 PM
    Yeah, this isn't a limit of your plan or any doings by Telus. It's a limit put on the Blackberry which means you can blame RIM.
    12-13-09 11:22 AM
    It's a limitation put in place on our BIS accounts in the hope of getting more people to subscribe to BES service.
    12-13-09 01:04 PM
    Unlocking it will not free the cap that's set by your carrier.
    12-13-09 09:04 PM
    It doesn't appear to be a carrier limitation, but a BIS limitation - That's why I was hoping that an unlock would cure this problem. It's very irritating that most email hosts offer a 10mb attachment size per email, but the BB caps out at 2.9MB per email.

What is the cap on the BES service?
    12-22-09 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD