I have a 8130 pearl from Telus and when I got the phone it had less than 1mb of storage for use on the app store, so I downloaded the face book app and now it is less than 1mb is there a way to get all that space that is used up back? its ridiculous considering I never even used any. All I have is BBM and Facebook i want some more like the score but i am running dangerously low for no apparant reason. Any tips?
    04-07-10 10:23 PM
    Are you saving a kajillion text messages and emails?
    Are you closing your apps properly?
    Have you done any of the optimization procedures?
    Finally go to Options > Status and post exactly what is in File Free.
    04-07-10 10:36 PM
    Delete my messages every day. Have two emails on there but they get max 5 a week. And its 857 218 bytes. I hid a whole bunch of applications on there that I did not want and when I go to applications list they are not on there to delete for example my space, zoompass, telus tv, windows messenger google talk and more. I have one 300kb theme saved on there and thats it. I deleted all the pictures on there as well.
    04-07-10 10:41 PM
    Sorry about double post but what exactly is closing apps properly and optimization procedure.
    04-07-10 10:42 PM

Here's a memory optimization thread. Closing apps properly is Menu>Close vs just using the escape key (back button). Rich, do you have a media card in the device, and is media set to save to it and not device memory? Open Media>Menu>Options to check. Also, set your Reserve Device memory to the lowest settings.

What OS is the device running? Type the word myver in a reply.

Facebook is a notorious memory hog on a Pearl.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 04-07-10 at 10:53 PM.
    04-07-10 10:50 PM
    How do you set it to save to the memory card I have been loooking for that for a while. and typer myver it says 8130/4.5.0.77. And no i usually just hit escape key ill start hitting close now though. Does it actually save that much memory actually closing it? And how does facebook burn up memory it says it only takes like 320kb when you download it. And do you know if those items I have hidden are taking up space and if they are how do I delete them. I aprecciate the help.
    04-07-10 10:56 PM
    Closing apps properly = press menu while in the app and select Close or Exit
    (different apps use either verbiage) Pressing the Back (red) key does not always
    close an app. There are 5 that will always run: Messages, Home, Phone, BBM and
    Browser.

Memory optimizations - clears out a lot of needless / stuff you won't use from
    the OS thereby saving you memory.

ShrinkAOS is the app I use regularly.

There is also this thread.

Also, and this is not what it is intended for, while your phone is on remove the
    battery for one minute and replace. After phone restarts recheck memory.
    04-07-10 11:00 PM
    Ahh, the download may only be that size, but it utilizes memory in the processes. Ok, check Options>About for your OS version. Open the Media app, click the Menu (BlackBerry) button, scroll to Options, click it and see what you have. I also recommend you do a Battery Pull if you haven't done one, so that the circuitry can reboot. With power ON , remove back and pull the battery from device, wait 30 seconds and reinstall. After device boots up, see what your file free looks like.

04-07-10 11:01 PM
    How do i get shrinkAOS on to my phone?
    04-07-10 11:02 PM
    Don't worry about the hidden items. They are launchers and not apps. By and
    large most are less than 10kb. A drop in the bucket.
    04-07-10 11:03 PM
    How do i get shrinkAOS on to my phone?
    You don't. You have to run it from your PC provided your OS is installed on the
    PC.

Once it is done shrinking, open Desktop Manager (also on PC) and run
    Application Loader. Step through to the end and it will remove what you chose.

If you don't or never will use Desktop Manager, load MaxMem on your phone
    and go from there. You have to go to the link I provided from your phone browser.
    04-07-10 11:05 PM
    Here is another question sorry I know there has been alot but how much memory is on the average pearl? And last how do I see how much face book is taking up?
    04-07-10 11:05 PM
    Ok, got the OS, a little older, there are better, more efficient versions you can think about as you grow familiar with the device.

Your Pearl is essentially a microcomputer. It has the same capacity as popular home computers of circa 1982. The Operating system in basic form usually accounts for a fair bit of the 64mb of Device Memory. The file free of a new Pearl out of the box might have about 15MB of free space for apps and processes. It usually needs a minimum of 5MB or so using that OS to operate efficiently. The part that isn't free contains the Operating system and available apps.

Last edited by BergerKing; 04-07-10 at 11:11 PM.
    04-07-10 11:09 PM
    Rich, did your Pearl come with a disc for your computer, and did you get any accessories with it?

04-07-10 11:13 PM
    Up to just about twelve mb now!!! Thanks for all the help. Couple more quick thing is does the score mobile use alot of memory cause I just got that with my new space. And is there a better browser for free than the one that comes with the device? Becuase this one is brutal and since I have 500mb a month I may as well use some of it up. At the top of the applications list to delete stuff it is a whole bunch of stuff that just says black berry with numbers is it safe to delete any of that or not?

EDIT: I got desktop manager and the cord that is exactly the same as the ps3 controller charger
    Last edited by RichWarPig; 04-07-10 at 11:16 PM.
    04-07-10 11:13 PM
    I got a disk desktop manager and a cord that is the same as the ps3 controller charger.
    04-07-10 11:14 PM
    Good. Those will come in handy soon enough. The apps that say BlackBerry in your apps list, uhh, not good to delete those until you know more about what they're for, most of them are necessary for your Pearl to function properly.

When you install that disk, you will be able to use your computer to back up your device information, save apps that you may not need right now, and want to reinstall later. You can update your OS. Your OS is from the 4.5 series, .77 is the subversion. The numbers could run from .01 to .999 theoretically. My wife's Pearl had .175, and it was a pain, I don't recommend that one. You can also use the Desktop Manager to switch information over when you grow out of the Pearl.

Last edited by BergerKing; 04-07-10 at 11:23 PM.
    04-07-10 11:17 PM
    Score Mobile is one of my favorite apps and I never had a memory issue with it.

12mb is much better than sub-1mb. Good job!

As to deleting apps you need to tell us which ones. Last thing we want to do here
    is lead you in the wrong direction. I did that once and am still 3yrs later kicking
    myself about that.
    04-07-10 11:20 PM
    What apps do advise not to delete then?
    04-07-10 11:23 PM
    For browser, extras are http://boltbrowser.com/public/boltbb.jad and you'll have to determine which you like.

BlackBerry App World is safe to delete. If you don't IM, BlackBerry Messenger can go, you can always reinstall later if you wish. Do not delete any other apps titled BlackBerry.

I recommend you read one of the best BlackBerry guides here in
    For other references, the Pearl Forums are here: http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/

There are plenty of folks around that can help. It may seem a lil' intimidating now, but we were all Newbies once.

Last edited by BergerKing; 04-07-10 at 11:38 PM.
    04-07-10 11:30 PM
    If I delete app world how do I get it back?
    04-07-10 11:32 PM
    Go to mobile.blackberry.com on your phone and re-download it. No fuss, no muss.

NOTE: there is no "www" in that address.
    04-07-10 11:34 PM
    Do you think it is worth it to download one of those other browsers. I am looking at the opera one but wondering if it is worth it.
    04-07-10 11:36 PM
    Only you can determine that. Ask 3 members, you get 5 answers. I use all 3 available browsers at one point or another. I don't recommend this with the Pearl. I'd just link you to , a Couple of clicks, you're back in business. App World is known to slow a Pearl down fairly easily. It'll slow my Tour down sometimes. So up to you to keep it. As long as you don't delete Core apps, most apps can be brought back with a few steps, and unless a BlackBerry has been physically damaged, most can be brought back to life with some procedures. Like
    Last edited by BergerKing; 04-07-10 at 11:45 PM.
    04-07-10 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD