I just started using a GPS receiver from Teletype and BlackBerry maps. Seems to work well when I toss the device up onto the dash. What do I need to get voice prompts on speakerphone from the BB?
    04-10-07 10:37 PM
    BB Maps does not utilize voice prompts. You may want to look into InfoSpace FindIt. I use it occassionally with my 8800, and it seems to work well with voice prompts... and the best part is it's free. You can get it by directing your BB browser to InfoSpace Find It! for BlackBerry

Also, Welcome to CrackBerry.com!
    04-11-07 05:47 AM
    I downloaded and signed up for the 30 day trial of TeleNav. It worked really well. I was suprised that the voice prompts came from the speaker and didn't required a headset. It's recovery from a wrong turn wasn't as fast as the nav system in my wife's minivan, but I'm guessing that that is a function of the data link between my 8700 and TeleNav's servers.

IMHO, I do not have a problem with the monthly fee. When you look at TeleNav's side-by-side comparison to a conventional nav device (like a Garmin), it makes a lot of sense. For example, if I installed a Pioneer nav unit, with XM Traffic, I'd be on the hook for a monthly fee, and oh, BTW, TeleNav gives you the same routing around traffic. So when you look at it like that, it's probably a better deal.

At this point, I'm awaiting a call from a TeleNav sales rep regarding bulk pricing. I've been looking for a nav solution for our fleet of 50 vehicles and this may be it. I can leverage the benefit of a BB in each of my technicians hands as well as giving them live, voice guided, turn-by-turn route guidance. What would be the ultimate is to interface it with our field force automation system so when we dispatch a call, we can provide directions on the fly. That'd be phat.

I'll keep everyone posted.
    04-11-07 07:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD